GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering shake over 60+mph after new coilovers

CTMK6GTI

Hey guys, stopping in hoping for a little help/guidance what to check. So I have a 2014 MK6 GTI DSG, with almost 135k miles now. Late this summer I decided to begin overhauling the suspension as much of it was original and had some tired JOM coilovers I installed at 40k 3 years ago (which held up and performed surprisingly well, btw). So I ordered a new Bilstein B14 coilover kit, a full install bolt kit from FCP, a suspension refresh kit with OE components from FCP which included control arm bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, sway bar links, etc. and an 034 rear sway w/adjustable links. In a full day, I was able to get the coilovers, rear sway bar, rear links, front links and ball joints all installed. While doing the front coilovers, I ran into the headache that is getting those front knuckles spread far enough for the coilover to seat properly, with the proper tool even. To take a break from the aggravation, I began trying to remove the FR rear control arm bushing (the aluminum block one with 3 bolts) with the control arm still in the car (gave up on the idea of the rubber front one that probably is easiest to press with control arm off car) but when I realized how hard it was going to be to pry off that rear bushing with the arm on the car, I had instant regret and decided to just reinstall it and leave the control arm bushings and tie rods (didn’t have a tie rod tool) for another time. I got it all out back together, put about 100 miles on so everything could settle, retightened what I worked on. A short while after, I finally had a chance to take it on the highway (my work commute is short and all back roads) and noticed now over 60mph, to any speed beyond, I get a relatively violent shake in the steering wheel that can be seen by eye, and feels uncomfortable, and a slight vibration felt in the floor/chassis. I immediately arranged for an alignment and wheel balance, and while it tracks true again, the vibration is still very prevalent. I’m at a bit of a loss because it never vibrated like this prior to all the new parts, and I can confirm I haven’t hit a pothole at all during that time. I do have aftermarket wheels which are new with new Michelin PS4s, in good shape, although they are using plastic hub rings, and I do have new metal ones to replace them with. The only components still unchanged are the tie rod ends, control arm bushings, cv axles, and wheel bearings. I don’t ‘believe’ it’s the bearings as they aren’t causing any of the typical issues (although they are original AFAIK), but I’m wondering if I somehow jacked up the control arm bushings when I tried prying that rear one off and gave up and left it installed.

Any suggestions or people who have run through some similar circumstances? Any help is appreciated, going to be having new steelies and snows mounted and put on soon, and I’d like to sort this before then. Thanks!

Derek

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
My guess is one of you hub rings, broke, didn't get put back on or is damaged in some way. The vibration that begins at 60 is symptomatic with no, broken or improperly sized hub rings on aftermarket wheels.

On removing your front struts I also had difficulty using the usual eliptical spreader, I found a spreader of a different design on Amazon that gave me the extra that I needed.

Last edited:

CTMK6GTI

My guess is one of you hub rings, broke, didn't get put back on or is damaged in some way. The vibration that begins at 60 is symptomatic with no, broken or improperly sized hub rings on aftermarket wheels.

On removing your front struts I also had difficulty using the usual eliptical spreader, I found a spreader of a different design on Amazon that have me the extra that I needed.

Thanks, that was exactly the answer I was hoping to hear; my first thought to. I ordered a set of quality 66.6 to 57.1 aluminum hub rings for the wheels, and I’ll swap them on this weekend and test and report back, even though it looks like I’ll be getting the snows mounted soon as it’s already hit below 30 and some snow flakes here today.

Thanks again, because that tool is amazing looking, looks 1000% better for this task, that elliptical bolt is a nightmare and every time it slips or pops out, it wears the ends of the oval down which makes it less effective each time. Will definitely grab one of those tools next time I go around.

Derek