GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Super excited about the FR-S

DougDome

Go Kart Champion
Is anyone thinking of trading in their gti with the FR-S/BRZ comes out? Maybe it's just the marketing buzz getting to me, but I am really excited for this car. Even though it's a significant decrease in power from a Stage 1, I believe that this thing has the potential to be one of the most fun cars to drive.

I'm sick of wrong wheel drive and have been itching to have a RWD car to play around with.

Very curious about what it would cost fully optioned out. I keep thinking that the switch would save a significant amount of money because it costs so much less than the GTI, but that's just from the perspective of owning an Autobahn. I don't want to give up all the amenities that the GTI offers.

Guess this is just a bad case of wanting to have the cake and eat it too.

/rant

in before csb.

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
It's more expensive than a base GTI. Sad but true. Scion just released the official price on its website. A base FR-S will start at 24,930. So a fully load FR-S will not be cheap. Imagine how much the BRZ will be.

http://www.scion.com/

DougDome

Go Kart Champion
I also heard that a mechanical differential will be an option? How is a mechanical diff different from a Torsen limited slip?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
dont know on the LSD stuff, but I heard that only Subaru was getting the LSD, unless something changed there.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
also it just came out so it will take some time for the shiny parts to come out to mod it. i cant wait to see a 4g or 2jz swap.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Just wait a little bit... getting it now is dumb, dealers will most likely have a markup.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
200hp NA doesn't really appeal to me. Atleast the GTI responds very well to mods...

It will out brake and out handle the GTI like no one's biz ;)

Not all just about power, my friend. Elise's only have 180-190hp.. but obviously weigh less than the BRZ/FR-S.

I am holding out for at least STI edition with brakes and suspension, to consider as a second car - but it still may not swing me from other German or English (previously mentioned above) prospects, BUT if it came with a turbo or there were decent aftermarket turbo options that could be had WITH the brake upgrades, etc - it would be a top choice for me.

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
Just wait a little bit... getting it now is dumb, dealers will most likely have a markup.

Scion has always had the "Pure Price" program, which means there's no negotiation. Whatever price is stated in the sticker is what you will pay for it. The dealer cannot jack up the price either. That's the beauty of buying a Scion.

KaiSTrikes_MKVI

Ready to race!
24,970 MT (with destination)... Personally I will be looking at
the BRZ ... even at a bit more HID and Nav is standard.
Japanese cars are a bit cheaper to maintain as well.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Scion has always had the "Pure Price" program, which means there's no negotiation. Whatever price is stated in the sticker is what you will pay for it. The dealer cannot jack up the price either. That's the beauty of buying a Scion.

I heard rumors of a subaru markup... I guess we'll wait and see.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
I also heard that a mechanical differential will be an option? How is a mechanical diff different from a Torsen limited slip?

Torsen is just a type of mechanical LSD, as is helical, clutch-type, viscous, etc. Mechanical just means the amount the differential locks up is based on a mechanical design, like a fluid or gearset.

An electronic LSD is one where the amount the differential locks up is controlled electronically. An example is the center differential on the STI, which is controlled by the DCCD. You can even say the XDS system on the GTI is an electronic LSD (computer controls brake application on the slipping inside wheel).

And heck yeah I'm excited about the FR-S, but I'll probably be considering one as a second car instead of replacement.

DougDome

Go Kart Champion
Torsen is just a type of mechanical LSD, as is helical, clutch-type, viscous, etc. Mechanical just means the amount the differential locks up is based on a mechanical design, like a fluid or gearset.

An electronic LSD is one where the amount the differential locks up is controlled electronically. An example is the center differential on the STI, which is controlled by the DCCD. You can even say the XDS system on the GTI is an electronic LSD (computer controls brake application on the slipping inside wheel).

And heck yeah I'm excited about the FR-S, but I'll probably be considering one as a second car instead of replacement.

Thanks for the clarification :thumbsup:

I don't really have/need a DD because I live in NYC, so I would just like something I can cruise around in on weekends when I go to the beach/hamptons. If I needed a DD, I don't think I would ever give up the GTI.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
It will out brake and out handle the GTI like no one's biz ;)

Not all just about power, my friend. Elise's only have 180-190hp.. but obviously weigh less than the BRZ/FR-S.

I am holding out for at least STI edition with brakes and suspension, to consider as a second car - but it still may not swing me from other German or English (previously mentioned above) prospects, BUT if it came with a turbo or there were decent aftermarket turbo options that could be had WITH the brake upgrades, etc - it would be a top choice for me.

I don't track any of my cars but I drive them aggressively on the back roads around me. The gti is one of the slower cars i've owned, but one of the reasons why I purchased it is due to the variety of aftermarket bolt ons to get it where I want to be.

Building N/A cars for quick 0-60 and 1/4 times gets costly and the ROI is low compared to a turbo platform. Handling and braking is definitely an important factor to me but upgrading a dud of a power plant is more costly than a brake and suspension upgrade.

If they brought out a nice turbo model i'd definitely step into one as long as the interior fit and finish was acceptable.