GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Swoopo.com...Auctions or Gambling???

Plyngntrffc

FIA GT Newbie
Auctions??? or Gambling???

Ok so if any of you have seen this site, you might be a bit confused about its purpose. It seems like it may be an auction site as it has items that are bid upon, and a final price that is paid. But when you look a bit more into the site, you realize that bidders have to buy each and every bid for $.75.

An auction basically works like this:

An Item, such as a Panasonic 42" TV go up for bids. It starts @ $0, and each bid brings the cost of the item up by $.15, or $.01 in a penny auction. This goes on and on until the final 20 seconds of the auction, at that point each new bid brings the time back up to 20 seconds. When that time goes by, with no new bids...the highest/most recent bidder wins.

So for example...that Panasonic tv i was talking about ended @ $30.26, which is equal to 3,026 bids. The end bidder, only bid 267 of those, so in total he paid out $230.51 for the TV which has an MSRP of $1,499.

It may seem odd that the company can do this, but if you look at it, they sold over 3,000 bids for this item alone. That is $2,269.50, plus they recieve the cost of the item, 30.26, which nets them at just under $2,300 bucks, minus their cost on the TV, probably 1100, they made $1,200.

In alot of ways this is like an auction, but basically it comes down to timing, and how much you are willing to spend.

It is interesting to see people that spend hundreds or thousands of bids and end up paying 2x the amount that the item is worth, but they are just trying to get SOMETHING out of it, instead of spending all that cash on nothing...

so all in all, if you can snipe well, you can get some amazing deals...

here are a few of the best, and worst that have ended recently

Best:

TV: http://www.swoopo.com/auction/panasonic-viera-th-42pz85u-42-inch/152042.html

16gb Flash Drive: http://www.swoopo.com/auction/sandisk-cruzer-micro-16-gb-usb-2-0-flash/151461.html

Worst:

Deep Fryer: http://www.swoopo.com/auction/george-foreman-deep-fryer/152628.html

Nintendo DS: http://www.swoopo.com/auction/ds-nintendo-ds-lite-silver-/151924.html

So my quick advice if you want to try this...buy a decent sized bid pack, at least 50. Use those 50 to bid on Vouchers for 300 bids or more. Then use those bids for small/medium items which you can feesibly win, or try to get more bids...work up to 500 or so, then go after a big big item...

Like this Acer laptop, 1,500 bucks this guy won for $40... http://www.swoopo.com/auction/acer-aspire-as8930-6243-18-inch-laptop/151288.html

rcnu71299

Ready to race!
so most people that bid actually end up paying for the amount of bids they made but get nothing for it, correct? (i.e. only the winner actually gets the good deal; the other people lose money)

Raddicted

Perfectly insane
That's an excellent, and very clever, business model. Kudos to those goes at Swoopo for coming up with that idea. One of the more creative ecommerce businesses I've seen in a while.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
the most frustrating part is that when the auction reaches less than 10 seconds, any bid pushes it back to 20 seconds and then you have to wait and pray that no one bids to bring the time (and the bid) back up... i watched a bunch of auctions one night, and 3 days later they were all still going. Not sure about you guys, but I can't sit and watch auctions for 24/7 3 days straight! Awesome site, but you have to be lucky and stealthy to win.

rcnu71299

Ready to race!
the most frustrating part is that when the auction reaches less than 10 seconds, any bid pushes it back to 20 seconds and then you have to wait and pray that no one bids to bring the time (and the bid) back up... i watched a bunch of auctions one night, and 3 days later they were all still going. Not sure about you guys, but I can't sit and watch auctions for 24/7 3 days straight! Awesome site, but you have to be lucky and stealthy to win.

there's also an option that lets the computer bid for you... i'm just not sure how you would set the limit on the amount of bids you make or the money you want to spend... i need to look more into it

Plyngntrffc

FIA GT Newbie
there's also an option that lets the computer bid for you... i'm just not sure how you would set the limit on the amount of bids you make or the money you want to spend... i need to look more into it

The "Bid Butler" bids to a preset amount, and uses a preset amount of bids.

The most interesting thing is that you can spend hundreds and not win a thing, or spend very little and get a great deal...

Is anyone on here trying to win some stuff?

fairladyz_gt-r

Go Kart Champion
This is definitely gambling, just sign up for 30 bid, and that's it. I am going to cut my loose and run, its impossible to win...

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
problem with the bid butler is... even if I bid from 1.00 to 2.00 that's 100 bids on a penny auction and $75 and that's absolutely no guarantee I'm going to win....I don't know, the site is very cool... but gambling for sure and an art form too!

Plyngntrffc

FIA GT Newbie
problem with the bid butler is... even if I bid from 1.00 to 2.00 that's 100 bids on a penny auction and $75 and that's absolutely no guarantee I'm going to win....I don't know, the site is very cool... but gambling for sure and an art form too!

you can tell it how many bids to place during that time period. 1.00-2.00 25 bids...

and i still think getting the 30-50 bids...bidding on a 300 voucher, and using those on something medium is the best way to go...or try and pick up a blue ray for 5 bucks...

rcnu71299

Ready to race!
this site definitely caters to the gambler mentality, hence they call themselves "entertainment shopping":wink:

can you specify the number of bids you want to place within a certain price range?

what i mean is this... let's say you use bid butler and tell it to place 5 bids from the $1-$2 range and then 20 bids from the $3-$4 range... is that possible?