GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Take Care With Ignition Keyfobs

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
So: 2021 1.5 Manual Style: whilst removing change out of my pocket I noticed 'something' (not moths;)) fall to the floor, put my foot on it seemed to be a piece of metal. As one for 'picking up junk' I picked it up, seemed familar & long story short was a metal clip from my iginition keyfob, holds in the removable metal key :oops:. Dunno why it fell out, not tampered with said keyfob or needed to change battery recently, but had I not being a tad nosey & 'one for picking up junk', one of my keyfobs would likely have needed replacement, or at least repair. Dunno what happened, or why, with a bit of fiddling I replaced said clip, checked other keyfob was perfectly fine, never happened with previous Golf keyfobs, nutshell: be careful with Mk8 keyfobs....

Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I’ve wondered a few times why the current style key fob was introduced over the previous version as it seemed to me - as you’ve experienced - there was a risk of the key blade falling out of its slot. Additionally, a high gloss black cover hardly seems the most practical or durable of finishes for something such as a key fob that owners might keep handy on a key ring with other keys, or in a pocket or a bag along with other loose items such as coins; I dare say the fob cover is very prone to scratches and swirl marks in a very short space of time so won’t stay looking new and shiny black for long 🤔.

IMHO the current design of key fob used by VW and the other VAG brands is a classic case of form over function. In my experience of 22 years of VW ownership, the previous style key fob such as the one I have with my 2020 Polo GTI+ (and 4 previous VW’s) is that it doesn’t fall apart nor does the cover get easily scratched up.

So to VW and the wider VAG; as the saying goes, ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!’ 😠.

Last edited:

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
I also preferred the older ones but yeah new keyfobs do scratch easily, seems they can easily fall apart too....

Last edited: