GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tesla event tonight is Incredible.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Watching the Tesla event tonight. Musk unveiled his trucks. They are cool as hell. Possibly a game changer if they can do what he says.

But the real mind-boggler, for car people, is the surprise he is unveiling as I type this: A new Roadster 2 seater that does 0-60 in 1.9 sec, and the quarter mile in...get this: 8.9 sec! Oh yeah. Fastest production car ever. Dodge Demon just lost that title. Sure, it's comparing electric to gasoline, but the Tesla is still the new speed King. Musk and his guys are !@#%! Amazing.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
I drove a Tesla, the top model and not in insane mode, a buddy of mine has one. I hit it hard and the thrust was so forceful that I was left with the impression that humans haven’t had enough time to evolve for this type of experience. 0-60 in 2 seconds will seriously put demand on a human body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I drove a Tesla, the top model and not in insane mode, a buddy of mine has one. I hit it hard and the thrust was so forceful that I was left with the impression that humans haven’t had enough time to evolve for this type of experience. 0-60 in 2 seconds will seriously put demand on a human body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah I'd totally get this car if my stupid body were more evolved for G forces. Oh well.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
I know what Chief means, though. The sensation must feel as he has described above.

Have not driven a Tesla, but that instant hit of torque has be a thrill. With the new roadster, there could be some increase in internal organ damage among buyers, for sure! But since AA fuel dragster drivers seem to be surviving (unless they crash), I figure it will be tolerable in the Tesla roadster :D

One correction: This is a 4 seater, not 2. There are better quality videos popping up on youtube now. Last night I was watching via some crappy live feed, so couldn't hear everything musk was saying. Here is a high quality clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NwKxmZZwE0

One other item: The thing has a 600 MILE RANGE. Just heard that from the clip. I mean, you have to be gobsmacked! That's better than most gasoline cars. This is all game changing stuff. The future just got darker for IC engines. And damn, I wanted that Vargas Turbo too...:( Eh, I will probably get it anyway. Can't afford a Tesla right now :D

Last edited:

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
It's absolutely wild to be honest. And something like this will probably be under $50k in a decade.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Engine noise will always be a huge part of the driving experience in my opinion.
However if we end up with a bunch of really fast electric cars in the near future then I guess that will help a little bit.

It used to be when one thought of electric or hybrid cars, well, the thoughts would be less than pleasant.
But now with hybrids like the 918, LaFerrari, and P1, (whose technology zI will assume will be trickled down to more "affordable" cars) and with fully electric cars like the Tesla, I hope it encourages other automakers to pump out some pretty decent cars once the pretty much inevitable shift away from IC motors really starts happening.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
It's absolutely wild to be honest. And something like this will probably be under $50k in a decade.

Yep. Electric AWD Golf R...start saving now :D

Engine noise will always be a huge part of the driving experience in my opinion.
However if we end up with a bunch of really fast electric cars in the near future then I guess that will help a little bit.

It used to be when one thought of electric or hybrid cars, well, the thoughts would be less than pleasant.
But now with hybrids like the 918, LaFerrari, and P1, (whose technology zI will assume will be trickled down to more "affordable" cars) and with fully electric cars like the Tesla, I hope it encourages other automakers to pump out some pretty decent cars once the pretty much inevitable shift away from IC motors really starts happening.

I know, electric cars were silly in the beginning. Glad we have a guy like Musk to bring it all to where it should be, and beyond...!

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Yep. Electric AWD Golf R...start saving now :D

I know, electric cars were silly in the beginning. Glad we have a guy like Musk to bring it all to where it should be, and beyond...!

Pretty sure I can get 8-10 years out of my GTI and my next car will be all electric and self driving.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Demon does the 1/4 in an advertised 9.65 with the optional ECU and 100-octane.

Truck and tractor fully loaded (80,000 pounds) does 0-60 in 20 seconds. IIRC, range is 500 miles and a 30-minute charge lasts 400 miles.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
I did not watch the presentation so that 500 mile range IS in fact fully loaded?
That is very impressive...

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I did not watch the presentation so that 500 mile range IS in fact fully loaded?
That is very impressive...

Not sure they made that clear. I DID just see on my local TV station that it can do 0-60 with an empty trailer in under 5 seconds. I had to play that back twice.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Not sure they made that clear. I DID just see on my local TV station that it can do 0-60 with an empty trailer in under 5 seconds. I had to play that back twice.

Now that goes beyond impressive into insanity.
That's nuts.
Maybe when my company is in need of new tractors in the next few years we will buy a fleet of these!
Haha yeah probably not.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Just to put Tesla into perspective:

In early 90's, the local "home brew" electric car club came out to an autocross event for some "exhibition runs." I remember working a corner as a converted Ford Courier made it's way around the course. The bed was loaded with lead-acid batteries. Not only was it pathetically slow (power-wise), but all the weight from the batteries made it handle like an ocean liner.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

I thought the picture in video was rig only. No trailer.
With that much torque 0-60 wonder how they will keep the wheels from spinning in the tires. Also the truck show only 4 drive Wheels, so they are using super singles. Less tire on ground so 0-60 runs at these speeds will be hard on tires.

All we need are faster trucks.
Just drove along side loaded semi's doing 70mph through Tennessee mountains.
Will be nice when they are passing me when I am doing 80.