GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Texas - no more safety inspections in 2025

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

GolNat

Autocross Champion
“Supporters of the bill called the safety inspections time consuming and inconvenient”

You don’t say.

Lawyers are gonna love this.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
You have to be kidding me! Have you seen the heap of garbage cars running around in San Antonio that you can clearly tell will not pass any inspection? Like no bumpers, colored tape over tail lights, busted windshields, smoking like a damn diesel truck with a cheap tune.

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
I think general safety inspections are a good idea/important for most people. OBDII / Emissions on the other hand are pointless IMO.

So many cars rolling around with fucked wheel bearings / tie rods / ball joints and important bushings that could potentially end in a catastrophe. These things being properly checked for the majority of people is a very good thing in my opinion.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
the inspection program replacement fee!

they didn't even have the courtesy of coming up with a new name.

CT has emissions inspections for cars newer than 1998. They hook up an OBD type scanner and it must pass ready/clear. $20 and unless you have to wait for your turn it only takes 5 minutes. I have no problem with these or safety inspections

“Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.”

Thumper

Autocross Champion
“Supporters of the bill called the safety inspections time consuming and inconvenient”

You don’t say.

Lawyers are gonna love this.

California has never required any sort of safety inspection to be allowed on the road. They only care if you can pass an emissions test rigged to fail old cars.

They probably also have one of the largest population of lawyers and scheisters in the country.

Many states do not have any requirement for an annual or semi-annual safety inspection.

I mean, seriously, if you are counting on an annual inspection to make cars "safe" and keep morons from driving down the road in a deathtrap you are seriously misguided. Here in MO we do require safety inspections for cars over 100k miles and/or 10 years old. See unsafe cars with current tags all the time. From the cars that obviously wrecked into a ditch and have a headlight missing and the other one duct taped on (probably happened a few weeks after the inspection lol) to yeah missing bumpers and wheels wobbling like a busted shopping cart caster.

Safety inspections are just pointless feel good government "We're doing something!!" garbage. The people that drive safe cars don't do it because of the inspections, they do it cause they aren't morons. The people driving unsafe cars will do it anyway until stopped by law enforcement and then will do the bare minimum to get back on the road and then keep on not caring.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
I looked at it for a little bit this morning. Could see where it says it would be completely eliminated, but that is the title.

Bill Title: Relating to the elimination of regular mandatory vehicle safety inspections for noncommercial vehicles and the imposition of replacement fees. Section 3 (C) is the one I think is stupid. So the requirement of inspection could be waived for those reasons... I think the section is mostly referring to emission compliance, but I'm not 100% sure. But still the reasons for a waiver are incredible.

They will waive the requirement if you can't pay for it due to your income,
If you can't pay to have your car inspected to pass the program, you should be using public transportation or getting a better job.

the vehicle can not be brought to standards by repairs,
Then the vehicle is a piece of garbage and don't belong in the roads.

if you have spent more than $100 to bring it to compliance and that they can verify that the vehicle will be driven less than 5000k miles a year.
Again, lets allow a piece of garbage to roll down the roads because it will be driven less than 5000k miles a year.

vehicle which parts are not readily available
No parts to get it repaired... junk it. Not worthy of public roads.

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/88R/billtext/html/HB03297H.htm
SECTION 3. Section 382.203(c), Health and Safety Code, is
amended to read as follows:
(c) The Department of Public Safety of the State of Texas by
rule may waive program requirements, in accordance with standards
adopted by the commission, for certain vehicles and vehicle owners,
including:
(1) the registered owner of a vehicle who cannot
afford to comply with the program, based on reasonable income
standards;
(2) a vehicle that cannot be brought into compliance
with emissions standards by performing repairs;
(3) a vehicle:
(A) on which at least $100 has been spent to bring
the vehicle into compliance; and
(B) that the department[:
[(i)] can verify is driven an average of
less than 5,000 miles each year [was driven fewer than 5,000 miles
since the last safety inspection; and
[(ii) reasonably determines will be driven
fewer than 5,000 miles during the period before the next safety
inspection is required]; and
(4) a vehicle for which parts are not readily
available.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
This net probably wasn't catching many dangerous cars anyway tho.

The kind of person who will take a car with blown suspension components onto the highway probably scoffs at the safety inspection.

Last edited:

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
All those crappy san antonio cars must have passed the safety inspection with ease... and then just fell apart and blew the valve seals the next day. :ROFLMAO:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
California has never required any sort of safety inspection to be allowed on the road. They only care if you can pass an emissions test rigged to fail old cars.

They probably also have one of the largest population of lawyers and scheisters in the country.

Many states do not have any requirement for an annual or semi-annual safety inspection.

I mean, seriously, if you are counting on an annual inspection to make cars "safe" and keep morons from driving down the road in a deathtrap you are seriously misguided. Here in MO we do require safety inspections for cars over 100k miles and/or 10 years old. See unsafe cars with current tags all the time. From the cars that obviously wrecked into a ditch and have a headlight missing and the other one duct taped on (probably happened a few weeks after the inspection lol) to yeah missing bumpers and wheels wobbling like a busted shopping cart caster.

Safety inspections are just pointless feel good government "We're doing something!!" garbage. The people that drive safe cars don't do it because of the inspections, they do it cause they aren't morons. The people driving unsafe cars will do it anyway until stopped by law enforcement and then will do the bare minimum to get back on the road and then keep on not caring.
How about the people who buy cars that are unsafe? Or sell unsafe cars?

I’m not counting on it but it has to be helping in some way right?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
All those crappy san antonio cars must have passed the safety inspection with ease... and then just fell apart and blew the valve seals the next day. :ROFLMAO:
Everybody knows a guy