GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

That's one less GTI in the family:

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Well...after a lot of thinking and a lot of looking around, I came to the conclusion that the Outback was "the" car to have if you were going to own a car that was good (not great) at just about everything. Simply put, it's very practical. So I decided to pull the trigger and picked up my '08 Subaru Outback yesterday. I got to tell ya, it was the most bitter sweet large scale purchase I have ever made. I's pretty sad to see BM GTI go, but happy to have an Outback. Why the trade in you ask? My gf and I already had 2 MKV GTI's in the family. I probably drive her CW more than she does. And packing up my gf, my son, myself, the doberman, and camping gear into my GTI was pretty uncomfortable for all but me. I needed more space. Not to mention, it's more of a camping/"outback" kind of car. We also plan to possibly by a light weight camper to pull around next year and will need a car capable of pulling it.

Anyway, I bought an 08 when all the 09's arrived and picked up a pretty sweet deal. I got it for dealer invoice and they didn't charge me for the auto dimmer rear view mirror option, or the all weather floor mats. On top of that, they were giving $1500 rebates on 2008 models, which took it well below invoice. On top of that, they offered me $17k for a car I've had for 2.5 years and 30k miles, that I only owed $7k on. Not to mention the finance rates are better on 08 models now. So by the time it was all said and done, I only financed $13,400 on a car that stickered at roughly $26k without even putting down a down payment. My monthly payments have went down $100 a month. My payments are about $235 a month now, and my insurance premium went down. So I estimate I'll be saving about $130 a month or so by doing this.

I miss the acceleration, the interior fit and finish, the on the edge handling, all that comes with driving behind the VW emblem, and a few other things as well. But I'm also happy have picked up a lot more interior space, off road capability, towing capacity, AWD, LSD, etc in our new car. She's just a comfy cruiser. Did I mention I get to drive the GTI that's in my gf's name on pretty much a daily basis?:biggrin: The plan is to keep this car for 3 years and trade it in when the market has better established what they're going to do technologically in regards to the fuel price situation. If it means clean diesel...awesome. Hopefully all that VW torque will come with a little more tow capacity too. Having a Jetta Wagon and Passat Wagon that's rated to tow the same amount as the GTI doesn't cut it.

Quick stock pics with a camera phone FTL: Of course it's black.

Attachments

• 0818081823.jpg
    0818081823.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 469
  • 0818081822.jpg
    0818081822.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 485
  • 0816081627.jpg
    0816081627.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 480

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
While it is not as fun... the outback is a great car. My mom has almost that exact car and it is great in the snow, super smooth on the highway, and very comfy for road trips w/stuff. Also my mom's NA car gets about the same MPG's as my GTI while it is heavier and AWD.

I wanted a 05ish Legacy GT wagon pretty bad, but I could not find one I really fell in love with.

VDubVirus

Euro-Elitist Moderator
wow kirk. I guess since you still have the girlfriends CW.... I can allow this.

Call.me.Junior

is overboard.
Nice Kirk. Seems alot of people are going to subies... i onlt say that cause two of brian's forum people recently got a WRX and STi.

DUB2OT

Banned
kirk180 gotta go thats all i have to say about this move and don't let the door hit you in the back on the way outta here lol.

:paddle:

neilcolwell

Ready to race!
nice ride...i just had one of these as my rental while the gti was getting service and they're pretty fun to whip around in and practical with the family you've got.

Raddicted

Perfectly insane
My wife has a 08 3.0R LLBean. If you put it in Sport Sharp it is actually quicker (technically, about even in actuality) than a GTI to 60 mph. It's such a sleeper, lol. A 3800 lb wagon with nearly 9" of ground clearance that can run the 60 marker in 6.5s always takes people by surprise. The 2.5XT is even quicker @ 6 secs. And between 60-100 those things fly on the highway.

As a do-it-all safe, practical, refined car with legendary AWD and good fuel economy, I don't think you can beat the Outback. Plus it will last 300K+ miles and is still fun to drive. And nothing will drive better in the snow. Many congrats! :thumbup:

psychoboy

Banned
why didn't you check out a4/s4 wagons?

That's exactly what I was thinking. When I get an ankle-biter, we're trading my wife's car in for an S4 Avant. She's going to be a cool mom... chipped and lowered 5 second 0-60... take that, you SUV driving soccer moms. :biggrin: BTW, you guys do realize that the Subaru outback wagon is one of the top rides chosen by the queer community. Every year it's on a top ten list next to the Rabbit, of course. I shit you not, look it up if you don't believe me.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the compliments, to those who gave them.

As far as why I didn't get an A4 vs the Outback...the Outback simply won out in all the catagories that were important to me. There's a reason why Audi doesn't list it's tow capacity. Because it wasn't meant to tow. There's also a reason why they don't talk about its off road capability. Because it can't go off road. As far as practicality and over all usability go, the A4 doesn't stand a chance vs the Outback. VW has the same poor tow capacity on the A4 as it does it's VW badged line up. Matter of fact, even the crossover Tiguan is rated to tow about the same amount as the GTI, since it sits on a Rabbit platform. Not sure if I stated it previously, but I'm looking at getting either a 13 or a 16 ft camping trailer to pull. And even if I don't, I go out camping all the time. It often got frustrating trying to get through the rough dirt roads in my bottom rubbing lowered GTI. The Outback comes on what Subaru calls a raised "heavy duty" suspension, with an almost 9 inch ground clearance. Where as the A4's sit pretty low and can't pull or go over shit. Hence why they call the Outback an SUW (Sport Utility Wagon). Not to mention, the AWD system is better in the Subaru than the A4. I personally feel you'd look even sillier/gayer pulling up to a camp site out in the woods driving in a lowered A4 Avant. But that's just me. The list of reasons goes on and on for me. Not to mention, I think I've pretty much come to realize that as of right now, luxury line up cars still aren't for me. Trust me, I drove to the Audi dealer one last time just to make sure I didn't want to get the Avant when I's ready to pull the trigger on the Outback. And as much as I like VW/Audi, it simply didn't measure up. I'll be in one again in a few years. Until then, I'll just drive my gf's GTI that's sitting in the driveway. Because now she loves the Outback and wants to drive it all the time.

Widebody MkVer

Performance Infused Style
Grats man, it is a great car, just for those who don't know 95% of the subarus built in the last 10 years are still running. Can't say that about a VW now can ya?