GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... Economy So Strong That eBay Hard Up For Business

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
The issue with flat taxing Federal taxes is that most state and local taxes are regressive, so you'd end up with the poor paying a higher percentage of their income in total taxation, i.e. percentage of income paid when you add all local, state, excise and federal taxes. Right now, we're already pretty close to flat, except the very wealthy pay a way lower percentage in total taxation, especially when you add all the money hidden offshore, which we can only really estimate.
Or they lock their money up in various investments with more favorable tax rates.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
The issue with flat taxing Federal incomel tax is that most state and local taxes are regressive, so you'd end up with the poor paying a much higher percentage of their income in total taxation, i.e. percentage of income paid when you add all local, state, excise and federal taxes. Right now, we're already pretty close to flat, except the very wealthy pay a way lower percentage in total taxation, especially when you add all the money hidden offshore, which we can only really estimate.

Flat tax arguments always ignore the rest of our tax system, and frame taxes as only federal income taxes, in order to fool people into supporting raising their own taxes.

The reality is, income taxes were never intended to tax the poor and middle class, they were intended to raise money for wars and defense from those with excessive income.

Every family would get a monthly stipend based on the poverty level.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Or they lock their money up in various investments with more favorable tax rates.

That's the same scam the Republicans pulled in the 80's. Raise taxes on the poor, give them a taxable direct transfer through the tax system, then claim they're lazy and get bigger refunds than they pay in taxes as an excuse cut social programs and raise their taxes.

At issue is the conservative belief that progressive taxes are a punishment on success and the liberal belief that progressive taxation keeps the economy stable and puts a higher tax burden on those that gain the most from our institutions and infrastructure. I believe the later.

In my perfect system, we'd go back to pre Reagan income tax rates, flat rate corporate taxes at 14% and treat all income the same, except for retirees under 400,000 a year.

golfdave

Autocross Champion

We have that here for the poor & low paid..introduced as the "wealth fair state" decades ago.....unfortunately it has encouraged people to have more kids (you get more money)...& we now have several generations of the same family who have never worked & claim ££££ from the state...many know how to play the systems & many have better housing given to them than those people who scrimp & save...also many ex forces who have difficulty readjusting to civilian life end up homeless & on the streets begging...& at the back of the ques for housing whereas immigrants who have contributed bugger all to the UK get given housing etc before the homeless ex forces people...

One recent couple who got caught...

https://www.cps.gov.uk/mersey-chesh...e-their-three-children-jailed-housing-benefit

Then you have the "slappers"..those who have no intention of working & have as many kids as possible to claim more benefits whilst playing "guess who's the daddy" by looking at the children...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/6...-wants-bigger-house-shared-bedroom-unemployed

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
That's the same scam the Republicans pulled in the 80's. Raise taxes on the poor, give them a taxable direct transfer through the tax system, then claim they're lazy and get bigger refunds than they pay in taxes as an excuse cut social programs and raise their taxes.

At issue is the conservative belief that progressive taxes are a punishment on success and the liberal belief that progressive taxation keeps the economy stable and puts a higher tax burden on those that gain the most from our institutions and infrastructure. I believe the later.

In my perfect system, we'd go back to pre Reagan income tax rates, flat rate corporate taxes at 14% and treat all income the same, except for retirees under 400,000 a year.
I'm all for rolling back Reaganomics , Paul Harvey can suck my hairy nuts.

I agree that progressive taxation keeps things stable and puts the Burdon those whom use the system the most. Fuel taxes pay for the road, and those whom buy more fuel pay more of the tax, which in theory is how it should be as they are using the resource more than others and should foot more of the bill when it comes time to repair/replace.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion

There wouldn't be any income tax.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
I'm all for rolling back Reagonics, Paul Harvey can suck my hairy nuts.

I agree that progressive taxation keeps things stable and puts the Burdon those whom use the system the most. Fuel taxes pay for the road, and those whom by more fuel pay more of the tax, which in theory is how it should be as they are using the resource more than others and shoot foot more of the bill when it comes time to repair/replace.

Paul Harvey is deceased.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
It gets even better when you do have "socialized" health care in the USA. Ask me about my local VA hospital next time you've got a day or so to kill.

Are you referencing the state funded homeless community located adjacent? Or, the non-resident substance abuse treatment clinic? Or, the resident substance abuse clinic? Or, the transitional mental health program? Or, the homeless outreach program?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Are you referencing the state funded homeless community located adjacent? Or, the non-resident substance abuse treatment clinic? Or, the resident substance abuse clinic? Or, the transitional mental health program? Or, the homeless outreach program?
The VA hospital in general. Though we could talk HUD-VASH if you like, along with the various substance abuse programs. Mental health isn't the only failing at the VA.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
The VA hospital in general. Though we could talk HUD-VASH if you like, along with the various substance abuse programs. Mental health isn't the only failing at the VA.

I’m just wondering what your argument against the VA health system is?