GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The new EQT V2.51 Maps

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
popcorn.gif

I ain't going to argue. I'm just going back to 8th grade science class 25 years ago. If I'm wrong I'm wrong.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Pcv system provides a constant stream of fresh air thru the crankcase. This helps flush this stuff out. You lose the full benefit when switching to aftermarket pcv plate.
Right the condensation the engine is producing in colder temperatures is getting trapped in my OCC.

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
Not saying this is wrong but, my GTI never exceeds 220 degree oil temp and is often found floating around 205-215... with the latter only being the case when I'm pushing it. It's been this way for 50,000 miles, tuned (APR) and not tuned (first 10,000 miles of it's life).
I believe this was an update for newer vehicles 2018+ or maybe 2019+. I read that they increased the oil temperature to combat carbon build up.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Wouldn't higher oil temp increase the rate at which the oil will vaporize-->more oil vapor in PCV system which gets recirc'd back to intake valves etc? I don't think 10-15* diff is going to make a significant difference....but for arguments sake. From the reading I've done on and off, one of the things they try to do is get the intake valves HOT, which deters carbon and shit from hardening on the valve. Even with a catch can etc, build up is still inevitable due to exhaust reversion from cam/valve event overlap etc.

ANYWAYS, I just did a valve cleaning at 50k and the buildup was very minimal. I am not too worried about it moving forward. There is no reason to be concerned over the lower oil temps... Coolant temps of 200-210 is perfect. In some of my own custom tunes I've set mine to about 210. Even if the sump temp is only reading 200, the oil will get much hotter as it passes thru the engine and pulls heat away from the various metal components etc. Sump temp is probably the coolest point of the whole thing. We're really splitting hairs here.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
You guys are worrying about a non-issue. With current settings, oil temps still have no problem getting up to 212-220F.... plenty to evaporate water and fuel.

Remember that oil temps will go higher than coolant temps ;)

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Everyone’s “feel” is going to differ but I actually just removed the whole EQT suite and accessport for now. Didn’t like the super low oil temps, car felt it trudged along. Maybe I was just so use to the previous versions. We’ll see for now as I’ll leave the ECU stock for a while and ponder my options.

What do you mean by super low oil temps? They should drop about 10* max compared to before and still get plenty high. Also not sure what you mean by "trudging along?" This is definitely the first report I've had of anyone not liking the drivability in the 2.51 file. Of course if you choose to go with a custom tune, we can always customize everything to your specific liking.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Is this with their DSG tune? I am planning on going EQT Stage 1 this spring but reports like yours make me question if I should do something else.
Our current version with our DSG tune drives nice and smooth all around. If someone is feeling anything odd, they should do a little trouble shooting and possibly run the DSG learning.

-- Ed

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
You guys are worrying about a non-issue. With current settings, oil temps still have no problem getting up to 212-220F.... plenty to evaporate water and fuel.

Remember that oil temps will go higher than coolant temps ;)

-- Ed
I was referring (and I assume everyone else was also) to the "oil temp" screen in the dash, not the coolant gauge. Most of my drives are ~20minutes or less and on the screen it doesn't hit 212 very often and when it does it's not for very long before it falls below it again.

But I've also noticed on the accessport "engine oil temp" will show a slightly higher number than what the car shows us. 🤷‍♂️

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Our current version with our DSG tune drives nice and smooth all around. If someone is feeling anything odd, they should do a little trouble shooting and possibly run the DSG learning.

-- Ed

What is the current version for the MK7 GTI? Is it still v2.03?

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
What do you mean by super low oil temps? They should drop about 10* max compared to before and still get plenty high. Also not sure what you mean by "trudging along?" This is definitely the first report I've had of anyone not liking the drivability in the 2.51 file. Of course if you choose to go with a custom tune, we can always customize everything to your specific liking.

-- Ed
Ed,

Car just felt flat, if that makes sense. I may go custom with you just to get the tailor made experience, however. My oil temps would drop below 200 sitting in traffic, which I guess is fine, but with a stock tune I’ll hit 220 easily. Maybe it’s just time for a higher performing car from the onset. Nothing against your products, they perform flawlessly.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
@Ed @ EQT I'm running the 2.51 update on my DSG MK7 GTI and loving it, but I have noticed that the DV issue that was fixed 100% for me 2.0 is happening sometimes on 2.51. Any explanation?