GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The new GTI DOES support ID3 Tags....proof inside.

GTI2007

car said:
I haven't tried it, but I seriously doubt it. AAC is still relatively new and also an apple-exclusive format. Mp3 has been around for quite awhile now and is much more widespread. I've not seen any cd-players that will read AAC.

The only MP3-player I know that can play AAC-tracks is the iPod.

atomoverride

Ruler of Omicron Persei 8
Yeah totaly this works, I personaly "wash" all my mp3's. I have an application that cleans the mp3 by normalizing the volume level, then cuts off the begining and ending DEAD noise, then re-working the ID3 tag with the information for the album and artist, also finaly adding my tag in the comment.

Carn

Drag Racing Champion
There is a RCD500 that has just been released with MP3 capabilities. The unit is part # 3C0-035-195B. Im not 100% sure if it is the Passat unit, but this part number is the new unit that will be fitted as an option on the SA GTI's as from July.

mikeyc

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello again,
Can anyone confirm the current RCD - Mp3 situtaion for the 2007 European models? Which models will play Mp3s?

RCD-300?
RCD-500?

Foregone Reality

Like Mikeyc; Any news on the EU front regarding MP3 compatible Head Units?

I'm after getting so much enjoyment from the Sony MP3 Headunit in my Mazda..it's the one thing putting me off getting a Golf.

notsolinear

Takes his fast for rides
I haven't tried it, but I seriously doubt it. AAC is still relatively new and also an apple-exclusive format. Mp3 has been around for quite awhile now and is much more widespread. I've not seen any cd-players that will read AAC.

AAC isn't tied to Apple, just adopted by Apple. It's actually part of the MPEG-4 standard. Only the protected format, .m4p, is unique to Apple. The .m4a is the default non-protected format that iTunes rips CDs into.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding

Our head unit still doesn't play the un-protected tracks though. If you want to take the time, you can change iTunes encoding to MP3 then right-click on a selection of songs and "Convert to MP3..." then burn the MP3s. Plus then you've got two copies stored in both formats. I just burn audio-CDs if I want to include AAC... 6-disks is still quite a selection.

notsolinear

Takes his fast for rides
My US '06 has always done this too. When I'm in bigger cities I notice that it gets track names from some radio stations too. What it doesn't do is show CD-text for regular audio-cds or display the folder names for MP3 cds. I'm also pretty sure that few, if not none, of the iPod adapter solutions show track names on the head-unit.

SpecialFX

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
I just change the iTunes burn preferences to MP3 CD and choose what I want and hit burn. It handles the folder-structure, etc. Never had to do any sort of conversion of my ID3 tags.... they've all just worked.

x2

never knew there were people with issues.

grasshopper

Frankie Says Reflex
Car(s)
Jeep Wrangler JK
There were issues over a year ago when this post was first made. lol