GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Next Car Swap

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
I don't understand this obsession with bars and restaurants. Do they not have liquor and grocery stores where you guys live? Or do you just enjoy lighting money on fire?

Epic post. We saved so much money when we stopped going out. We used to spend so much disposable money on eating out and drinking out and it's an EPIC money waste. At least a car takes you to work which earns you money and its enjoyable. Eating/drinking out literally turns to shit and piss.

There's a balance. Nobody likes pissing hundreds of dollars down their leg every week but you can't gnaw on a domino's crust and drink Bud Light every Friday either. And when you do want to go out for a cold one and something decent to eat it's nice to have someplace to do it other than Applebee's or Chili's.

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
Just got back from VW Alhambra where, while waiting for the Tiguan to get serviced, I had the chance to drive a 2015 Mk7 GTI with SE and no lighting. Before I say how much they were asking for this car, I'll do the review.. Preface: Nothing really to hate on with the car except it's too expensive and dealer won't budge much, which isnt the car's fault.

Ok, styling is subjective so this is grains of salt, but I can't get into the exterior styling or certain interior elements. Again, it's very Asian. If you are into sharp lines, aggressive styling, razor wheels and a design that says "hey guys, I'm fast" then you'd like this car. It's a grownup Mazdaspeed3 basically sans gaping mouth. That's the exterior. Hate the wheels. Again, subjective.

Interior. This has been hyped the most, the interior improvements. First of all, hands down best feature of this car are the seats. Holy shit great seats. To call them power seats is silly because the only power adjustment is the pointless tilt back button. Otherwise, they are manual seats. They are leatherette. Again, SE, not Autoballs package. Seats are basically perfect. As good as the sport seats in the BMW 3 series, easily.

The infotainment whatever you want to call it tech stuff is better but I hate touchscreen. I'm used to the iDrive system which is very intuitive and touch screen seems gay to me but you can now select different drive modes, etc. Everyone knows this. This car didn't have NAV but judging by the interface on this one, the Nav can't be that great. These modes can effect how loud the soundaktor wails under acceleration, steering feel, etc and you can select all that fiddling with the touchscreen but I prefer buttons you can push or a toggle for sport/sport+/etc. The steering wheel is nice, but I prefer the feel of the Mk6 wheel. This wheel is a cost cutting measure in comparison. Beyond this stuff, backup camera, crap like that, is where IMO, it gets tacky and cheap. There is this bullshitty fake carbon fiber inlay everywhere that looks gay. There are glossy interior trim elements that are supposed to be 'nice' that look lame. It's like they tried to make it more spicy this time (insert Mexican joke here) and they succeeded but I don't know, overall I just really prefer the Mk6 interior. Obviously the Mk7 has more features, but dudes, you pay for it... Getting to the price.

Ride/powertrain. The ride is worlds more civilized than the Mk6. Compliant, smooth, quiet, etc.. Big improvement if that's your thing. If not, you'll miss the raw nature of the Mk5 and Mk6. Lets get to the powertrain.. The car isn't that fast but it SOUNDS really fast.. Feels about the same as the stock GTI, definitely not as torquey as a Stage 1 GTI. I don't care what C&D says about the car, there is no 'wow' speed factor. It's quick, its torquey etc. but there is much smoke and mirrors with that soundaktor. Holy shit it is loud. There is a sports car soundtrack playing the whole time you are driving so you're like "this things is on fire". It's plenty fast, don't get me wrong, but it's not a big deal.

The DSG.... man. I still don't like it. I'd get this car with the big dick transmission. The DSG programming needs work VW. Work. Get the manual. In Drive, it gets to the highest gear possible ASAP and is reluctant to get out of that gear even with throttle input. Then there is sport mode which per usual is tuned the polar opposite.. Which leaves you the paddles. Ok great, If I wanted to change gears myself all the time I'd get the fucking manual. The paddles have a little delay as well. Also, they are pinner. Get some big man paddles on there VW. They are so small they are not satisfying to use. Now, VW bros, try not to get all worked up about this but this transmission is inferior to the ZF 8 speed in the Bimmer. It just doesn't measure up and I'm not alone in this one. It's not as smooth and the programming is weak. In regular drive comfort mode, the 8AT is always in the right gear and is very sensitive to throttle. Gearing is so close w/the 8 gears too that, I don't know. It just makes the most of the engine's power. Manual gear changes are instant as well. The DSG is better than most automatics but it needs major reprogramming work. Driving in 'D' just means you'll be in 6th gear all the time which is lame. And to the power thing, I didn't feel much difference between a tuned 320i and this. The VW sounds faster because that soundaktor is ON FIRE but as far as feel, about the same. Obviously quicker by about .4 seconds. Easily has a second on the stock 320i, duh.

Ok, so end of the day, this is obviously a nice car, it's got a lot of shit to play with, it's well equipped but... It's $35000, or at least that's what they want for it. Are you fucking kidding me? That's their 'market adjusted BS' price. I talked to the guy a while and pretended like I was interested in leasing one, maybe for the wife, maybe for me. He said because of our loyalty etc. he could get it down to meet me in the middle at $33000. For a fucking Golf with halogens. I was like "so MSRP is $31000 and you are meeting me in the middle at $33???" See there is the problem with the whole car. It's too expensive, plain and simple. $32000 for an Autobahn, OK. For a CPO R, Ok. But for a GTI SE w/leatherette and halogens? No. Here's why, and here's where the ol' 320i comes in. My 320 was also $32000 and has leatherette and halogens.. But for their asking price of a grand more, I could have gotten lighting and heated seats and basically had a better car that leases for less. He threw a few lease figures at me.. $420 a month was his best with $1999 at signing. Are you high? I could lease a 328i for that much. VW is tripping balls. Because I'll tell you what this car doesn't have that the 320i does have or any sport package mated 3 series. It doesn't have the road feel, or the balance or the flawless transmission/engine mating, or the M Sport steering wheel. The 3's interior is minimal but its respectable. The GTI's is trying to get zaney but fake carbon fiber trim everywhere? Come on. And FWD is real. I used to think that was so overstated when I had the GTI. Like RWD was such hype or whatever. Today I had a stretch where I basically floored the GTI from a stop and there's that torque steer. Not terrible, but it's there. It's not RWD, the transmission needs work, and it doesn't feel as nice. I dont know why it doesnt but it doesnt. Go figure.

Side note, the Fender audio sounded like the one in the GLI I drove. Muddy. HiFi Premium in the 3 is a better system. Just the opinion of a guy who has worked in pro audio and music since 1999, but whatever. Again, VW bros will call it biased, etc. but I went in with an open mind. If the car were $26500, I'd say hell yeah. But for $33000 and high leases due to low residuals, just NGH. I'll tell you what though, that engine sound is fucking awesome. It'll bum me out getting into the Volt quiet 320i.

So is it an improvement? I guess so. It has more stuff. But I like the MK6 better. The Mk7 has better tech but overall, it feels cheaper. Start really checking out the trim and stuff and you start to notice the cost cutting. Still, can't beat the utility. If a hatchback is essential, there is obviously no better hatchback in the world but thats not saying much. What are your other options, a Yaris? The new GTI has an adjustable deeper trunk now which is cool.

No mention of how much cooler the Mk7 would look than your BMW after air, a notched frame, and Bentley wheels with stretched tires though brah. Try and present a little more balanced picture next time. Kthanksbra.

McQueen77

Banned
No mention of how much cooler the Mk7 would look than your BMW after air, a notched frame, and Bentley wheels with stretched tires though brah. Try and present a little more balanced picture next time. Kthanksbra.

Haha, air. "Bro the Mk7 with K04, on bags with stickerbomb and Kobe mirror air freshener is way better than your car you badge whore!" Tell you what though, seats and 'engine sound' are beyond tits in the Mk7. Beyond. Your'e like 'why does my GTI sound like an M3?'. What is funny is I mentioned something about that and he was like "oh no, thats just because we are in sport mode. In normal mode you get to hear what the engine really sounds like". Guy has no idea that that mode doesn't turn the soundaktor off. Normal Sounded almost as beefy. I mean seriously sounds like you have some business going on under that hood. Really made me want to pull the trigger on the magnadrone downpipe for my 320 since it's so quiet, but I'm a big cheap pussy. Like Troy's mother.

Last edited:

McQueen77

Banned

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Word. Granted, that is off an M Sport Line 3 which is a $3200 price hike from no-line, but this is the wheel that comes on my car, priced the same as the GTI, just minus paddles..

Yea, that's still awesome.

DSG feels like a manual though, that's why I like it. I only use it in manual mode so programming is irrelevant. For me it's a "manual" that women can also drive - just like the toyota smt.

It still shifts itself, doe...even in manual mode. Meh.

There's a balance. Nobody likes pissing hundreds of dollars down their leg every week but you can't gnaw on a domino's crust and drink Bud Light every Friday either. And when you do want to go out for a cold one and something decent to eat it's nice to have someplace to do it other than Applebee's or Chili's.

:laugh:

Exactly. I loathe most chain restaurants.

"Market Adjustment" is OK for a Ford GT and.....oh wait, that's it.

Dat.

Haha, air. "Bro the Mk7 with K04, on bags with stickerbomb and Kobe mirror air freshener is way better than your car you badge whore!" Tell you what though, seats and 'engine sound' are beyond tits in the Mk7. Beyond. Your'e like 'why does my GTI sound like an M3?'. What is funny is I mentioned something about that and he was like "oh no, thats just because we are in sport mode. In normal mode you get to hear what the engine really sounds like". Guy has no idea that that mode doesn't turn the soundaktor off. Normal Sounded almost as beefy. I mean seriously sounds like you have some business going on under that hood. Really made me want to pull the trigger on the magnadrone downpipe for my 320 since it's so quiet, but I'm a big cheap pussy. Like Troy's mother.

I wonder what they used to record the sound its playing back? Certainly can't be an actual GTI. R8 perhaps?

Yeah, mind blown. $27OTD on that car would be OK. $35k is insanity.

Ridiculous.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
After driving an A4 all day yesterday with the ZF 8-speed...

I couldn't do it. Was never in the right gear for me. Was great for a NFG sled to get me to Longuysland and back, but when I needed to accelerate, I had to really mash my foot to the floor to force it to downshift. Otherwise, it just lugged along in 8th gear.

It's smooth and seamless compared to the DSG, but it ain't no holy grail.

Give me stick or give me death.

McQueen77

Banned

I couldn't do it. Was never in the right gear for me. Was great for a NFG sled to get me to Longuysland and back, but when I needed to accelerate, I had to really mash my foot to the floor to force it to downshift. Otherwise, it just lugged along in 8th gear.

It's all in the programming. From what I know, Audi tunes theirs more for comfort or whatever and BMW more for performance. All I know is I drove manual for 20 years and my car is always in the right gear and just a little throttle jab gives me the next gear or 2 down that I need. Again with the GTI, I'd only have it in a manual. If I didn't live in L.A. I might go back to manual but there is just no way. If I counted how many stop signs, stop lights etc. I hit just to get to the freeway near my house, it would probably be like 100.. Screw that.

Coogles

Go Kart Newbie
Fuckin' a man, that's insane. The local VW dealership where I bought my mk6 is publicly discounting the 7's already. Not a ton, mind you, only $600-$1k off sticker, but they really don't seem to be selling here either.

McQueen77

Banned
Just keep your Mk6 brah. I think its a better car. If the infortainment/stereo bugs you, just get a good aftermarket unit from crutchfield.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Ok first things first. This dealer is on crack... perhaps they had a lot of stancebros trying to stickerbomb their way to the top of the stance scene trying to get these while working overtime at Arbys.

Out here they are 2k off sticker to START. So here is a 7k gap right here... :laugh:

http://www.vwhayward.com/ManagersSpecial

You can get a 2 door DSGay for 24.7K plus tax. That's nearly 10k less than the one you drove... granted with the awesome plaid seats but come on now.
http://www.vwhayward.com/VehicleDet...n-Golf_GTI-2dr_HB_DSG_S-Hayward-CA/2438084933
Holy sucker whoever pays anything over sticker for a GTI. Based on lease values you can tell that they are highly depreciating so sticker is inflated... markup :laugh:

Of course at the cracker price it is nuts...but like I said... most ppl are getting about 2k off so yea...

You pretty much nailed the main points
(steering wheels)
(not so much better interior)
(shitty stereo)
(epic shitty DSG shifting)
(louder sounDICKtor)

But you missed a few others...
Did you notice the fking brakes? Perhaps you're used to the BMW brakes but jesus are these worlds better than the Mk6 brakes.
And yes it is A LOT faster... once again perhaps because you were used to the tuned bmw.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

I don't think the A4 uses the ZF trans.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
It still shifts itself, doe...even in manual mode. Meh.

:laugh:

Exactly. I loathe most chain restaurants.

Yeah you need to have the stupid thing tuned to make manual mode truly manual, but beyond that I don't mind it.

Want better food? Make better food.

I don't really go to chain restaurants besides for pizza, which around here is better than going local. I just don't go to restaurants at all.

Fuck paying 15% extra for someone to hand me food, I have arms and legs. Fuck paying someone 200% extra to cook me food, I have a kitchen.