GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Unofficial E85 Ethanol Thread

Just some input on my experience last weekend. I drove 10 hours and filled up 3 gallons of E85 and 10 gallons 93. I noticed the effect was an average of 2.5 - 4 degrees. (Stock tune) oh and gad mileage was down about 7mpg.
Have a nice day :)

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Just some input on my experience last weekend. I drove 10 hours and filled up 3 gallons of E85 and 10 gallons 93. I noticed the effect was an average of 2.5 - 4 degrees. (Stock tune) oh and gad mileage was down about 7mpg.
Have a nice day :)

Advance or retard? You should absolutely not see a 7mpg decrease let alone any noticeable MPG decrease at all.

Advance or retard? You should absolutely not see a 7mpg decrease let alone any noticeable MPG decrease at all.
It was 2.4-4 degrees retarded compared to normal. These were odserved from many WOT pulls on the freeway. This is my best guess but the afr was consistent with lambda even at WOT, so I'm thinking it was adding fuel to prevent from running lean even though it was open loop. That's what I'm testing this out for though. To understand better how exactly the ecu can be manipulated. Aside from purchasing a piggyback which is is in the coming future

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
It was 2.4-4 degrees retarded compared to normal. These were odserved from many WOT pulls on the freeway. This is my best guess but the afr was consistent with lambda even at WOT, so I'm thinking it was adding fuel to prevent from running lean even though it was open loop. That's what I'm testing this out for though. To understand better how exactly the ecu can be manipulated. Aside from purchasing a piggyback which is is in the coming future

Mate something is not right if you are losing 7 MPG and it's retarding.

Oryx R

Ready to race!
We need an update from Arin on when this stuff will be ready for our cars. Hopefully it's not anything like the Golf R Downpipe.

Magni

I am relatively new to the forum, just started following about two months ago.

I have a 2015 1.8t APR Stage 1. I saw above that gn4rwhals mentions that 1.8 may have different fueling. Does anyone know if I could run some percentage of ethanol? Maybe e20 or e30?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
He is on a Golf TSI, fueling is probably way different.

I am relatively new to the forum, just started following about two months ago.

I have a 2015 1.8t APR Stage 1. I saw above that gn4rwhals mentions that 1.8 may have different fueling. Does anyone know if I could run some percentage of ethanol? Maybe e20 or e30?

Well first of all welcome to the forums. No doubt the Golf 1.8 has different fueling, but my issue is that E20-E30 is such a small percentage increase that any fuel system should have no problem handling it.

What we know (VERY rough math):
-Straight E85 takes about ~30% more fuel.
-A small blend of say E25 is about 1/3 as much ethanol.
=This means the fueling only need to be able to handle about ~10% more fuel then with pump. Chances are almost every VAG fuel system in modern times can handle 10% over stock.

That is my issue, the guy above should have no problem running like 10% more fuel. But there's always things that we don't know. Do you have the ability to log parameters Magni? That is the best way to find the answer in a safe fashion.

We need an update from Arin on when this stuff will be ready for our cars. Hopefully it's not anything like the Golf R Downpipe.

Yeah I really want to see that out. Me and Gnar are still on the fence on tunes and if the APR kit can either be used with other tuning (say Cobb pro-tuning) or works well with the APR software that could make all the difference. When's the Golf MK7 SE Michigan meet happening btw? ;)

Tone1

Ready to race!
I'm down, looks like cars and coffee is starting in June if you wanna wait that long.

Could just do Woodward if the cops stay cool.

Pshh, I'll be on Woodward tonight let's do the damn thing.

Magni

That is my issue, the guy above should have no problem running like 10% more fuel. But there's always things that we don't know. Do you have the ability to log parameters Magni? That is the best way to find the answer in a safe fashion.

I don't as of right now. I am looking into getting something as soon as I can convince my better half that it is worth it, maybe at the same time that I get an intake and downpipe.

I am interested in the benefits of ethanol and would gladly post up logs once I get them if it helps out other 1.8 guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I was going to comment originally when he saw the MPG decrease, but since ethnol has to burn 30% more fuel, wouldn't that translate to the MPG difference?

I haven't had a chance to run a meth blend yet, but I'd expect a full meth car to get 2/3rds the MPG as gas as a result of more fuel being used.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
I was going to comment originally when he saw the MPG decrease, but since ethnol has to burn 30% more fuel, wouldn't that translate to the MPG difference?

I haven't had a chance to run a meth blend yet, but I'd expect a full meth car to get 2/3rds the MPG as gas as a result of more fuel being used.

2 Issues with that statement. 1. Full E85 is 30%. A mix like E25 (Keeping in mind most pump gas can be around E10), results in such a low percentage increase in fuel need (~5%) that you will not see a quantifiable difference in MPG's. Keeping in mind E85 is usually cheaper than pump gas (In the past half year not so much because gas is so damn cheap. 2. Almost all meth pump setups are designed to only run when the car is at WOT or at X PSI. So you are only pumping meth when you want to basically.

Last edited: