GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

They printed a letter I wrote to Import Tuner ripping the advice guy a new ass

kenton

Ready to race!
:readthethread:

(PS - I'm also a huge Honda fan, in addition to my Accord I've previously owned a fully bolted/professionally tuned 2005 Acura RSX Type-S and a 2007 Honda Fit Sport)

First of all, before you read it.

Please believe me when I say I didn't mean the last couple of lines. This guy is just an asshole month in and month out to everyone who asks him questions. If you read Import Tuner you know how much of a dick this guy is. I never in a million years expected them to print it.

The background story is (and I WISH I still had the old issue that question was printed in, I've googled for it and searched Importtuner.com to no avail, if anyone finds it post it up)

The gist of it was the guy wrote in with either a 98 or 99 Accord Coupe and wanted to turbocharge it. He didn't sound like a ricer or anything, just wanted more power. Turboing the F23 is pretty damn popular because the H22 is not a boltin motor for that chassis. It can work, but it's not like putting a B18 in a Civic. The J-series swap is complicated as hell and well, shouldda bought a V6 Accord if that's what you wanted.

Point was, turboing the F23, stock internals and all on some shitty 7psi $2500 kit can yield around 220-230whp, pretty respectable in a ~2800lb car. The similar but lower results can be had for the 90-97 Accords too, as the motors barely changed (VTEC was standard in 98+, .1+ displacement, etc etc etc) but the point is a turbo F23 is no joke and will make killer torque as well as it's one of the few Honda motors that makes more torque than horsepower.

This guy just completely ripped on him and the guy didn't mention if he was AT or MT and Eric Hsu just ASSUMED he had an AT and only talked about turbo + AT = boom. Didn't give the guy ANY advice just basically said fuck your grocery getter get out of my magazine.

Page 20 of the newest issue (It came today)

So... I checked the logs for kenton.org and I've been getting about 200-300 hits per hour for the past couple of days (brand new issue) which is WAY WAY WAY more than average. I figure I'd post my own response there if anyone went to my website looking for car stuff:

kenton.org said:
If you're here because you saw my funny comment in this month's Import Tuner then welcome. There's nothing here. For the record, I didn't mean the last sentence to Eric, but I do think he's a pompous, small-dicked individual. There's plenty of FRIENDLY people on the Internet who are more than happy to help with automotive questions, it just happens Eric isn't one of them.

As you can tell by the above image of my deceased 2005 Acura RSX Type-S, it's evident I know PLENTY about the K20 head and it's flowbench characteristics. Also, were we talking about the XS GT-R, the AMS EVO or a Titan Supra? Fuck no. The man didn't write in asking if he should get a BT kit for his AMS EVO, he asked if he could/should turbocharge an Accord, stay on topic.

In response to starting with the proper platform, some people are downright broke motherfuckers and those people have the right to turbocharge whatever car they wish. Am I right?

Cheers,

Kenton

kenton

Ready to race!
Hitler-sled.....lol...the rest off it...meh.

Yeah, that kid had a Rabbit. Why he was writing to a J-mag asking about Euro cars is beyond me.

A lot of you won't get it or care, I understand. Not everyone has passion both the H and the VW.

kenton

Ready to race!
You can read more of this articles like this reader responds deals if you search his name in the Importtuner.com search box.

Apparently he thinks you can sell a Rabbit for an Evo or STI and have left over money to make it fast as fuck.

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
is the F23 an xflow motor? 8 or 16V?

kenton

Ready to race!
F23 is just a 16V SOHC VTEC engine. Since it's a single cam, VTEC only operates on the intake side so you don't get the noise change and punch in the balls like you do in an Integra Type-R or RSX-S.

What makes the F23 nice is it's so cheap, complete used engines for $500 making projects out of them inexpensive. You can blow up 4 F23 motors for the cost of one B18C (GS-R engine).

Some people turbo them or some swap the Prelude DOHC VTEC head (a lot of work required) onto the F23 bottom end

wiki said:
F23A1

This engine was used in the Honda Accord EX, SE, and LX, and Acura 2.3CL in North America.

Specifications

* Bore × Stroke: 86.0 × 97.0 mm
* Displacement: 2254 cc
* Valve Configuration: SOHC, 16 valves, VTEC
* Compression ratio: 9.3:1
* Max power: 150 hp (112 kW) @ 5700 rpm
* Max torque: 152 ft·lbf (205 N m) @ 4900 rpm

The F23A4 is substantially similar, but features ULEV certification with a slight reduction of horsepower: 148 hp (110 kW) with a maximum torque of 148 ft·lbf (200 Nm). This engine has a different exhaust manifold and a 32-bit ECU which uses a wideband oxygen sensor.

The 1998 Honda Odyssey and the 1998-1999 Isuzu Oasis used the F23A7 engine, which was substantially similar to the F23A1.

DarkstaR

dope freshhhhhhhhhhh
Interesting. But then isn't the F20 and F22 (AP1 and AP2 S2000 motors) DOHC? Why is it that the F23 is SOHC?

kenton

Ready to race!
Interesting. But then isn't the F20 and F22 (AP1 and AP2 S2000 motors) DOHC? Why is it that the F23 is SOHC?

Who knows why Honda named the AP1 engine F20C and the AP2 engine F22C

And yeah, they're DOHC. But, they're similar in NAME only, kinda like the 88-92 Prelude's B-series engine -- it had NOTHING in common with the vaunted B16 and B18 everyone loved.

Monkeykungfu

Go Kart Champion
Cool read... way to give that dumbshit hell man! Hate it when people condescend to people who are asking for help.

Bad hare

Ex-mkv owner
I have NO idea what the fuck you wrote (regarding all those engine specs). I have read in the past about that guy being an ass. Although, I applaud your effort in exposing his "cuntness", i think you only boosted his ego.

Blackmagic66

Have Heart
thats pretty cool, i read import tuner and hes always a fuckbag. i also enjoy hondas bc many of my friends have fast coupes and hatches, but im still trying to get familiar with all the different motors and the best ways to swap them. theres soooo much shit to know its crazy