GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

thinking about buying a $1000 car as my daily driver. what do you think?

djax1

Ready to race!
Title says it all.

Although it's only been roughly 4 months, I'm racking ALOT of miles on my GTI. And it's, well, making me feel uneasy.

I'm on pace to have 20K-22K miles this year. I would love to have this car last me for at least 7 years.

To unload some of the driving burden off my car, I'm considering purchasing a beater and driving that during the winter and on days when I'm taking extra long drives down to the city.

I'm still in the contemplation stage, so if you have any experience with this, or have any personal thoughts about what I should do, please feel free to share them.

Gti-mrk6

Ready to race!
I've thought about this too. Also have to think about more costs for a second vehicle... liability insurance, registration, service, repairs...
Would have too crunch the numbers to see if its worth it

Redzgti

Ready to race!
i did and it saved me money on insurance. i have all state and my gti is under a special policy for cars that are modified for show/race that dont really get driven as much. I bought a beat up 92 Plymouth sundance as my daily. still trying to get it to stop stalling out but for the $200 it cost me it paid itself off in a month it saves me about $200 every month in insurance.

C4L

Banned
I think it is an awful idea. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to keep a $1,000 car running. Not to mention it would just suck driving a car like that knowing you have a nice new GTI at home.

I couldn't do it. Cars are meant to be driven. Just be happy that you actually enjoy driving the car you have.

Save you $1,000 and an unmeasurable amount for frustration in dealing with a $1,000 car, and enjoy the one you have. Drive it till it dies.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
I put 35,000 miles a year on my .:R32... Cars are not investments; go enjoy the thing ;)

I can understand having a daily driver if you own a Lambo or something, but for a GTI that's made to BE a daily driver? nah, total waste of time, money and fun...

IFlyS5

Self-proclaimed DUBHEAD
I picked up a MK2 Golf a few years back for $700 for the exact same reason. Unfortunately, I felt the need to mod it as well :)

I think its a good idea, especially if you're wanting to save some miles and have a car for winter weather duty. Just my .02.

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion
I'm in the same boat as you. Just put a little over 30k on my car in a year. I'm just having a hard time finding a decent car in my price range.

smrtypants44

Go Kart Champion
I think its okay as long as you buy something relatively new-ish with all the modern safety features... (like a late model lexus or toyota with a ton of miles or something). You're going to be pretty upset if you get t-boned by an errant SUV in your old car with no airbags or side impact protection while the GTI that could have saved you from injury sat in your garage...

GTI'10man

Ready to race!
My dad bought a e30 for 800 bucks. Aside from some gas pump thing breaking and needed to be replaced, cars been driving like a champ!

P

plac

i have had a few of those and it always turned out to be a terrible idea. a $1000 car is a piece of junk. and fixing is in our nature and the money pit will grow and grow.

djax1

Ready to race!
Getting mixed responses here, which I like! But like what some of you are saying, it could potentially create another financial burden, maintaining the car and going through the logistics of owning one. It just pains me when driving to the city, racking up those miles and dodging potholes left and right, mind you dodging crazy drivers who think they own the road...sigh.

Either way, I'm still on the fence about getting a cheapo beater.

I'm still scouring the craigslist ads to see if there's anything even worth checking out. So far, the search has been mediocre. Been seeing alot of "cosmetic damage but runs great!" types of descriptions. Once you see the pictures, the poor thing looks totaled.

McQueen77

Banned
i have had a few of those and it always turned out to be a terrible idea. a $1000 car is a piece of junk. and fixing is in our nature and the money pit will grow and grow.

Yeah, a thousand bucks? My first few POS cars in highschool, in the early 90s...were still like 3 grand. A thousand bucks? As a car you rely on day to day? That is insanity. It'd nickel and dime you to death the first month, not to mention totally bum you out everytime you drove it. $5k and you're talking.

cwGTIautobahn

Ready to race!
GTI is a perfect daily driver!

Just drive it. Cheep to run. Rap up those miles!

P

plac

then you drive your $1000 shit box every day... and wish you were in your new car.. then you think to yourself why the fuck did i spend all that money just to be too scared to drive it?