GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking about opening up a performance shop

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
A friend of mine and I have been talking for a while about opening a performance shop, but are actually beginning to get serious about it now. We're looking for this to happen between 3-4 years from now, since we want to get into an automotive program beforehand. The problem is, we don't know exactly where to start after that.

Is there anyone experienced in opening a shop or any sort of business?

We'd like to start just as a local vendor so we can make some money and get off the ground.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

AdvanSuper

Banned
Just off the top of my head... Never really did anything but these can be the bare basics...

- Go to automotive school possibly take some business course or class to get a grasp of how things would run

- Save, save, save and save your money and be sure you two trust each other and that nothing will get in the way of the business between you two

- Location is another thing to consider

- If you want to be a vendor start out in a warehouse/garage type of layout so when you are ready you can get setup for an automotive shop with enough room to move around and work

- What type of shop would it be? Domestic, Euro, Tuner or Everything?

- Build yourself up as a vendor first then get it out there that you are opening up a performance shop

- Build a clientele through being a vendor for locals if you have regulars offer them a reduced rate install prices in your shop have them get your name out there through your work and quality service

It's definitely a timely process that goes into it but I'm sure if it's quality stuff and work you'd be doing fine. Unless you're working while in school you'll need to get a job after it save your money and when the time is right begin the process. Well to think about it depending on how you live you probably would still need to work some more and save. But I think you may be able to do small business loans through banks but would need some sort of collateral etc etc.

Then again I don't know details and never did such a thing but I'm just throwing ideas of what would be somewhat reasonable IMO. Maybe that gives you an idea though...

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
Thanks man. We were basing plans around starting as a vendor, and the points you made definitely solidified the decision. I'm going to be working while going to school so I can save some money, and I may even work part-time during the opening of the shop (depending on how hectic it is, of course)

I appreciate the input. The warehouse/garage area idea is a great idea that I hadn't even considered!

James G

Spool makes me drool.
My only advice is, be cautious of going into business with family or friends!

Best of luck!

:thumbsup:

AdvanSuper

Banned
Thanks man. We were basing plans around starting as a vendor, and the points you made definitely solidified the decision. I'm going to be working while going to school so I can save some money, and I may even work part-time during the opening of the shop (depending on how hectic it is, of course)

I appreciate the input. The warehouse/garage area idea is a great idea that I hadn't even considered!

My friend is actually opening up a shop but it's on the down low until it's ready to be opened up. Definitely a long process but if you're committed it can happen.

With the warehouse/garage you need to make sure it's accessible for all cars a nice road and that the landlord would allow such a setup (car shop) to be done on their property.