GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tiguan vs coming Mazda CX-5

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I'd say its an unfair comparison. Similar to trying to compare a Mazda3 to a GTI in terms of content, pricing and performance.

That being said, I'm sure it will be a good contender in the compact SUV segment. I'd add one to my short list if I were in the market. If not the CX-5, the upcoming Escape as the new Escape will be filled with tech goodies.

O-III

Ready to race!
CX-5 and Escape will no longer share platforms - they are separate entities now.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
CX-5 and Escape will no longer share platforms - they are separate entities now.

Ah, that's right. I keep forgetting to separate the two now.

ImmI

Ready to race!
Not gonna lie, CX-5 looks awesome.
I'm liking the direction that Mazda is going with their new design philosophy.

I'd still probably get a Tiguan though, 2.0T + DSG is a great combo.

krische

vdubber in training
I'd still probably get a Tiguan though, 2.0T + DSG is a great combo.

The Tiguan uses the AQ450-6F automatic transmission, not DSG. So it's your typical torque converter automatic.

krische

vdubber in training
Plus... Mazda is going to bring a diesel engine to the US in the CX5.

That's some of the rumors I've heard, although it isn't official. If they do, that will definitely make me get the Mazda instead of the Tiguan.

shredX

Ready to race!
No matter what the spreadsheets say, I could never drive a Mazda... any of them.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
Not a bad looking car, I am really looking forward to seeing how their new urea-less diesel engine is. Glad to see they've abandoned the huge grinning plastic front end...one thing that really turned me away from the Speed3 is the hideous styling. Pretty good car otherwise.

McQueen77

Banned
I think if someone were looking for a smaller, sporty SUV that the Mazda would be a good choice esp. compared to a CRV or Rav4(total mom car, but like the other guy said about comparing a 3 to a GTI, it sort of pales in comparison as far as trim, interior appointments, quality and performance. Performance wise actually though they might be close, the Mazda will handle well and supposedly their new ATX sky drive thing is supposed to be all cutting edge w/lock up clutch/ torque converter at low speeds and fast shifts.. So uh.. sort of like what BMW and Audi have been doing with automatic transmissions for like 8 years? Way to be progressive Mazda.

shredX

Ready to race!
Well that just sounds irrational.

I could see where it would come across like that. I guess I'm just being closed minded. Kind of like people who would never drive a Chrysler because of one bad car they drove 5 years ago. But, I just can't help it. There is something about the brands interior and exterior styling that just turns me off.