GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

torga's Daily Build - black, 6mt, two-door shenanigans

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Youre gonna love the intercooler, amazing how much horsepower you lose after just 1 or 2 wide open throttle pulls.

torga

Autocross Champion
Youre gonna love the intercooler, amazing how much horsepower you lose after just 1 or 2 wide open throttle pulls.
I was putting off the install since it's so cold here – and will be for at least another 1.5 months – but I'd like to get it done before the garage is gone.

torga

Autocross Champion
After some troubleshoot in this thread, it looks like I'll need to replace my oil cooler as it seems to have some small internal failure. At first I thought I had an oil leak, but upon closer inspection the residue is somewhat sticky/tacky on the garage floor and cleaning up the residue on the belly plan colored my paper towel murky brown instead of the dark brown I'd expect from pure oil. I traced the leak when I had the car up for an oil change and it seems to be coming from the oil cooler/water pump area. I'm pretty confident this is it.

Since I have to remove the water pump for access anyway, and I have no idea if it's been changed before, I opted to buy a Graf aluminum unit to replace that as well. Hopefully all the parts get in by early next week and I'll be tackling this job next weekend. Depending on how annoyed I am at the end of it, I may install my FMIC. In all likelihood, I'll probably put it off another week - temps are still hovering around 30-50F here, after all.

torga

Autocross Champion
I've decided maintaining OEM driveability is more important to me, so I'll either be going with an RSR clutch or DKM's twin disk. Leaning more towards the RSR clutch because the TT-RS pressure plate won't wear out the TOB as quickly as a heavy, aftermarket plate will.
However, I won't be able to reuse my DMFW because it's got 124k miles and I hear some good chatter coming from it. If I can't find a good deal on a low miles DMFW and end up having to buy a new one... the DKM twin disk kit doesn't sound as far-fetched from a cost perspective.

In other news, I've got all the parts and I'll be gearing up to replace my oil cooler and water pump this weekend. That Graf water pump sure is purdy.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I think the OEM clutch is great and I have no issues with it. I'm working on my RSR kit now. The pressure plate has gone up in price from what the RSR thread shows. Why not just go with a new Luk? From everything I can find they are the same as the Sachs just 2x the price.

torga

Autocross Champion
I think the OEM clutch is great and I have no issues with it. I'm working on my RSR kit now. The pressure plate has gone up in price from what the RSR thread shows. Why not just go with a new Luk? From everything I can find they are the same as the Sachs just 2x the price.
The LuK flywheel, you mean? I've only done the preliminary pricing out - I've yet to begin the deal searching.
Gonna be interested to see how you like the clutch you go with. I'm settled on Southbend for the R, but considered DKM for a bit (decided against after a coworker had issues with two of their clutches, pretty sure it was his car specifically causing the issues and not a result of anything on DKM's part).
I was 100% set on DKM's Stage 2, but I'll be moving to a denser city soon and I don't want to hate my commute with a SMFW in heavy traffic. So the OEM engagement is the primary reason for going with RSR. Plus, it holds 450lb-ft at the crank and that's more than I'll ever need. The only reason DKM's Stage 3 is still on my mind is that many say the engagement is very OEM. It'll probably end up being too expensive, though.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
The LuK flywheel, you mean? I've only done the preliminary pricing out - I've yet to begin the deal searching.

Yes the Luk flywheel. Didn't know if you were wanting to stay with the Sachs fw as that is suppose to be what comes in the car. New Sachs runs north of $500 but a Luk can be bought for under $350. So far I am at $626 with: metal TOB, TT-RS pressure plate and correct clutch disk. Add the Luk fw and I should be able to keep it under $1000 (not including tax, we don't have that).

torga

Autocross Champion
Yes the Luk flywheel. Didn't know if you were wanting to stay with the Sachs fw as that is suppose to be what comes in the car. New Sachs runs north of $500 but a Luk can be bought for under $350. So far I am at $626 with: metal TOB, TT-RS pressure plate and correct clutch disk. Add the Luk fw and I should be able to keep it under $1000 (not including tax, we don't have that).
Do you know of any complaints or reviews of either the Sachs or LuK flywheel? I see the LuK flywheel on FCP for $404 and eEuro for $350. I see the Sachs flywheel on RockAuto for $454. Not a gigantic difference. Even on HS Tuning, it's $500 flat.
This weekend I'll start pricing things out. Still trying to find the correct LuK TOB. Since they didn't change the P/N when they switched from plastic to metal, it's a bit of a gamble when ordering online or buying in-store. I've already had two busts.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Do you know of any complaints or reviews of either the Sachs or LuK flywheel? I see the LuK flywheel on FCP for $404 and eEuro for $350. I see the Sachs flywheel on RockAuto for $454. Not a gigantic difference. Even on HS Tuning, it's $500 flat.
This weekend I'll start pricing things out. Still trying to find the correct LuK TOB. Since they didn't change the P/N when they switched from plastic to metal, it's a bit of a gamble when ordering online or buying in-store. I've already had two busts.

The metal TOB I got from ECS was $100.

I have not been able to find any reviews or complaints for the fw. It's either someone randomly says "the Luk is trash and get the Sachs" or the OEM one is Sachs and the Luk is a cheaper alternative. One poster said he compared his OEM Sachs to the Luk and could tell no difference. Another person said his Sach's came in a Luk box. There were a few people that went new Luk but I didn't see an update. Yeah that price difference is not as great as it used to be might be better to play it safe with the Sachs :unsure:. I am still looking into it though.

torga

Autocross Champion
From what I've seen so far, the metal LuK TOB is OE and should cost between $40-65. The one I got from RockAuto was $40, so we'll see if the metal one is the unit that shows up. Last two have been plastic.
I'm still a few months away from really worrying about this, so I'll wait to see if the flywheel cost fluctuates at all (doubt it).

torga

Autocross Champion
Where did you find the TT-RS pressure plate? I see a Sachs Performance plate on FCP Euro and the other ones I find are part of clutch kits.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Where did you find the TT-RS pressure plate? I see a Sachs Performance plate on FCP Euro and the other ones I find are part of clutch kits.

Yes you have to buy the clutch kit unfortunately. That is the only way it is sold. The clutch disk that comes with it can’t be used. You can sell it on eBay, people are asking $50 for them. I ordered the kit from eEuroparts but there has been an issue with shipping so I am waiting to hear from them.

torga

Autocross Champion
Yes you have to buy the clutch kit unfortunately. That is the only way it is sold. The clutch disk that comes with it can’t be used. You can sell it on eBay, people are asking $50 for them. I ordered the kit from eEuroparts but there has been an issue with shipping so I am waiting to hear from them.
I'm seeing two P/N for the clutch disk: 03G141031P and 03G141031T. Which did you go with? FCP Euro has the P model by Sachs for $82.

Looks like pressure plate is from the TT-RS and the clutch disk is from an A4 Quattro.