GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

torga's Daily Build - black, 6mt, two-door shenanigans

torga

Autocross Champion
I'm not entirely sure what part you're referencing in the second pic(washer thing?). I need that coolant cap tho.
Yep, it's an aluminum washer fluid reservoir neck. It tucks in real tight against the fender, in the space between the headlight and the coolant tank. The cap is just the OEM Mk7 cap, I got it from ECS a while back.

torga

Autocross Champion
Just another photo. Fall is here.

1632880158435.png

View attachment DSCF9361.jpeg

torga

Autocross Champion
Yesterday I swapped out my R8 coils (no idea the mileage on 'em) for APR's new coilpacks. I've been having an incredibly sporadic stumbling that I can't really trace to any particular events, environmental or otherwise. So spending a few months taking care of easy things like new plugs, MAF cleaning, new air filter, and injector cleaning (gas tank treatment), I decided to write the coils off the list.
For those wondering, the VW dealer that warrantied my intake manifold about 22k mi ago said that my valves were clean, after I specifically asked them to check. Figured if a dealer didn't wanna take my money, they were probably pretty clean. I changed out the fuel filter about 19k mi ago. I've never personally touched the LPFP/HPFP.

It's only been a day, so no idea if the problem's fixed -- I'll sometimes go weeks without a single misfire. The coil tops are pretty and they almost make me wanna ditch the engine cover. I wonder if the cleaner/stronger ignition that APR claims could have any small side benefit on fuel efficiency?

PXL_20211010_214507250.jpeg

riceburner

Autocross Champion
youre making me want a mk6 again

riceburner

Autocross Champion
my mk5 :rolleyes:

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I wonder if anyone is gonna do any actual science stuff with these to figure out if they're legit or just snake oil. If they're legit I will probably grab a pair, gonna want my shit as rock solid as possible.

torga

Autocross Champion
I wonder if anyone is gonna do any actual science stuff with these to figure out if they're legit or just snake oil. If they're legit I will probably grab a pair, gonna want my shit as rock solid as possible.
@Thumper did some research iirc?

Yup, Thumper did some testing and posted some charts. He didn't test the exact thing that APR is claiming (10% more energy over pulse width), but his results do prove that the APR coils performed better in what he tested. That's mostly what sold me on these. That, and they're basically the same price as legit R8 coils.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
@Thumper did some research iirc?
Indeed he did. In the grand scheme of things they aren't that expensive so i'll probably grab a pair. I have an AP also so I can do some logs as well and see if the results hold true across multiple cars.

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
Yup, Thumper did some testing and posted some charts. He didn't test the exact thing that APR is claiming (10% more energy over pulse width), but his results do prove that the APR coils performed better in what he tested. That's mostly what sold me on these. That, and they're basically the same price as legit R8 coils.
How dare you change your profile picture and throw me off like that.

torga

Autocross Champion

smanierre

Autocross Champion

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
And you can't put it in the internet if it isn't true.