GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Toyota Acceleration Re-produced!

krische

vdubber in training
Well shit son! It looks like a Sothern Illinois University professor has found an electronic problem that is likely the cause of the Toyota Acceleration issue. They can easily reproduce it as well. Follow the link for video.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/22/video-smoking-gun-abc-news-expert-recreates-sudden-acceleratio/

Earlier today, ABC News released a report asserting that the cause of Toyota's unintended accelerations issues might not be a faulty accelerator mechanism, but an electronic flaw in the automaker's engine control unit – something that's been suspected, although never confirmed, for some time.

David Gilbert, an automotive technology professor at Souther Illinois University and ABC's primary source for the report, claims to be able to duplicate the effect by short-circuiting one of the controls, which could be caused by moisture, wear or a combination of factors in Toyota vehicles.

Although the report goes into specifics, seeing is believing, and ABC News has done just that, putting Brian Ross behind the wheel as Gilbert trips the switch. The results are rather shocking – particularly since the ECU doesn't record a fault. You can see it for yourself after the jump.

Last edited:

07Jetta2.5

Double Stuffed

argue53

Go Kart Champion
hm interesting. i hope toyota learns from this and fix the problem.

KingOfJericho

Go Kart Champion
Toyota's response is on the same page:

UPDATE: In response to the allegation that an electronic fault is the cause of the unintended acceleration issue, Toyota has released a statement saying that Gilbert talked with the automaker on the March 16 after wiring a Toyota Tundra in a similar manner and causing the acceleration. Make the jump for the release and draw your own conclusions.

PRESS RELEASE

Toyota's Statement in Regard to ABC News Story: Expert Recreates Sudden Acceleration in Toyota

Toyota spoke with Mr. Gilbert on February 16 in an effort to understand his concerns. During this discussion, Mr. Gilbert explained that he had connected a resistor between the output wires of the two accelerator pedal sensors on a Toyota Tundra. In other words, he had artificially introduced an abnormal connection between two otherwise independent signals coming from the accelerator pedal sensors. Mr. Gilbert advised Toyota that he believed that his intentional misdirection of these signals could cause the vehicle to accelerate unexpectedly.

In response to Mr. Gilbert's claim as communicated to Toyota, Toyota confirmed that what Mr. Gilbert described would not cause unintended acceleration to occur. In fact, under the abnormal condition described last week by Mr. Gilbert, if there is a short with low resistance between the two signals, the electronic throttle control system illuminates the "check engine" light and the vehicle enters into a fail-safe mode of engine idle operation. If there is a short with high resistance, outside the range of "check engine" light illumination, the accelerator pedal continues to be responsive to driver input and the vehicle will return to the idle condition when the foot is taken off of the accelerator pedal. Unintended acceleration would not occur.

After watching the story today on ABC News featuring Mr. Gilbert, Toyota was surprised to learn that Mr. Gilbert appears now to be making a different claim regarding the electronic throttle control system and in a vehicle other than as described to Toyota last week. Although it is difficult to tell from the footage used in the story, Mr. Gilbert appears to be introducing a different external and artificial method to manipulate the throttle. In order to set the record straight, Toyota welcomes the opportunity to evaluate the Toyota Avalon shown in today's story and the method by which Mr. Gilbert allegedly caused the vehicle to accelerate unintentionally. We welcome the attendance of ABC News at any such evaluation of this vehicle and Mr. Gilbert's testing.

turboed

Low Blinker Fluid
All Barack Channel.

I would like to see the professor at SIU wire up other cars and do they exact same thing. It seems to me all that guy would have to do is tap the wire to the ECU that supplies throttle possition and send in a signal that is at the top of the range, ie; WOT without going beyond the parameters that will trigger a CEL. And at any time did it look like that car was going 70 MPH?

The brakes are another thing because Car and Driver did a very similar test last month about breaking at full throttle and the Toyota car was able to stop.

Here is the article:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/how_to_deal_with_unintended_acceleration-tech_dept

DejaVu

Ready to race!
I'm always telling people about the RAV4 I used to have before I got my GTI. 2007 RAV4 with a gas pedal that accelerated from a stop unpredictably every time. I'm glad I never had the runaway gas pedal , but not knowing if I'd be able to merge into traffic sucked.