GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Treatment for a flea covered dog.

rx4brdm

Ready to race!
Don't really care for harsh chemicals. Plus I seem to break out in a rash when I touch the stuff. I have tried 4-5 of them now, even the hypo-allergenic ones. They all seem to bug the hell outta me.

I have seen it online and it was suggested by a few people, but thought I'd get a few more opinions on another route. It was suggested using lime shavings and cut limes in water that sits overnight. They said the fleas will be jumping off like you just threw a burning bag of dog shit in a room at a wine convention.

Any suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

rx4brdm

Ready to race!
Unsure of the lime shavings, but if the dog is actually infested you will need to treat your house too. As they will just return to the dog once he is 'cured'. Good luck.

Going away for 4 maybe 5 days, and the house will be treated, so the infestation in the house should be eradicated. Hate seeing the poor guy suffer just because I'm allergic to everything.

And thank you for the suggestion.

TheLandrew

Ready to race!
Welcome. Just make sure you try whatever remedy on the dog and get the house treated at the same time. If you do one, and not the other you will be back to where you are now. I have puppies, they don't have fleas but the vet recommended these drops on their neck if they ever did. No idea on the name, but it sounds like you have tried a few.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
A vet can't help you with this? Poor dog :(

rx4brdm

Ready to race!
A vet can't help you with this? Poor dog :(

He is being taken to a relatives place from Fri-Sat. She will try her dog's groomer if my home remedy doesn't work. That should work. If not then it will be a trip to the vet.

The drops suggested by the vet will be used after the bath this afternoon.

GTI84SD

Ready to race!
I really recommend Comfortis. It's a once a month flea prevention pill. It kills the fleas and their eggs. My dog goes to day care once or twice a week to hang out with other dogs and he would always pick up fleas from there. We tried all of the topical stuff, but it just made him sick and messed up his skin. Plus, as soon as you gave him a bath, the stuff was gone. Took him to the vet the first time to get the correct dosage for the pill and not fleas since.

Only thing that sucks is that evidently the pill tastes horrible since he doesn't like to take it. I usually have to crush it up and roll it with some peanut butter to get him to take it.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
I have a long haired cat, he had fleas when he was a kitten.

I had to flea bomb the apartment. I think it took two of them. You let it spray and leave the house for the weekend. I also treated him with Frontline Plus or whatever it is. The Advantage stuff the vet gave me didn't work, but Frontline seemed to.

As a last resort you could get him a haircut. That would certainly help too.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Seriously though, wash him with flea shampoo, give him an application of Comfortis, brush Borax into your carpets and furniture, put flea collars in his bed...Wait a couple weeks until you don't see any more fleas with daily combing, then have your entire house steam cleaned. Keep the Comfortis on him, and keep Neosporin handy in case he's allergic to flea saliva and chews himself bald like our dog.

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
Just make sure you try whatever remedy on the dog and get the house treated at the same time. If you do one, and not the other you will be back to where you are now.

^This

I just was talking with a lady at the dog park last week whose dog brought fleas into the house, and they multiplied like crazy. She ended up having to get the whole house fumigated to get rid of them. She said anytime she would step on her carpeting, she would feel her feet getting bitten. :yikes:

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
Capstar tablets is what my GF(a Vet) gives our dogs to kill the fleas on them. That kills adult fleas. Ive had good luck with the shake and then vacuum stuff too.

Make sure to treat your yard if you have one or else the fleas will just get right back in the house.