GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo Cool Down??

cmcm

Drag Racing Champion
Just picked up my GTI yesterday, I was told that the recent turbo design doesn't need any cool down period before shut the ignition off, is it true????:confused: :confused:

StookMK5

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey congrats!! VW turbo engines haven't required cool-down for years now. Only exception is maybe if you have mods to your engine (turbo work etc..) and just did a lap on the track or something similar. Even then you only need to drive the car normally for a few minutes to properly cooldown.

glasgow_ffm

Go Kart Newbie
Hiya, cmcm,

StookMK5 is right so far. Maybe just one wee comment: if you reeeeeally rowel your baby than I would give it app. 2-3 minutes of normal driving at the end of your trip since I'm pretty sure that it will extend your engines durability.

... but "rowel" in my understanding means driving like I would do it at home: hunting BMW's on Autobahn ... :evil:

Cheers

147kw

If the turbo is to hot on shut down the car has its own mechanisim of keeping the oil flowing to the turbo to help it cool down. After a hard burn or on a hot day, you can hear it going after you have turned the car off.

When I have been for a thrash (other than just a normal quick run!) the cooling fans stay on after the car has been switched off. This only happens when I really have been hammering the poor girl just before stopping and switching off.

My APR installer/mechanic tells me that this is the 2006 equivalent of the old turbo-cool-down running.

Matt

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
acording to the owners manual, after extended hi speed runs you are supposed to let the turbo cool down befor shuting off the engine. I do with any turbo engine. If you just came buzzing down the street and hit maybe 45oo rpm's and shut off your engine, the turbo is spinning at 25,000 or 30,000 rpm's for a while with no oil flow. the coolant pump helps, but it is still running without oil for more than 5 minutes or so. I always let mine idle for a couple minutes befor I shut down. Minimizing the rpm's that the turbo spins after shut down.

bilbos

On the Kop
From owning a TT I have always understood that it is best to give the turbo a 2-3 minute cool down after a hard run. Better safe than sorry!!

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
No oil circulator....just coolant. When you get to your destination sit in the car for a min......this gives you some quite time to be with your car. Appreciate the fun you just had with it and let it know you will miss it, but you will be right back for more fun. This reassures the car letting it know you are not just using it....you actually do care for it.