GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo not engaging?!!? Help please!

Cuervo

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok so first, I'm sorry I didn't check to see if this thread is started already. But I freaked out so I wanted to post something ASAP since most you you know more about this than I do. Here's the scoop:

So I was driving to work in the after noon, everything was fine. Turbo was working, if I needed to speed up, I felt it engage and I speed up just like normal. I get to work, park my car, leave it til my shifts my done. Come back, turn it on, let it warm up a little just like always, and drive off.

About 12-14 miles after I started driving, I needed to use the turbo to speed up, well it didn't engage. I'm not sure why. No lights on he dash are on. The only thing that turned on was a snowflake symbol letting me know it was under 40 degrees (F) outside. My initial thought was, maybe the sensor won't allow the turbo To engage if is cold. But I have no idea.

Like I said, it was fine before, everything is stock, 38,xxx miles, just got an oil change about 1200 miles ago with 5w40. I haven't touched a thing but idk what's going on?

Any help will be appreciated, but I'm not going to go out and check right now for anything, just because it's too dark out. I'll try anything on the morning. I'll test drive it then too to see if the cold air was the problem.

(Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, i used best judgement)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gino

Ready to race!
Manual Transmission or DSG?

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
turbochargers DO NOT engage. It's a mechanical part that creates boost via air pressure. Seriously....you needed the turbo to "engage" to speed up? LOL

Should have got a Prius, man.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
sounds like a noob so i'll try to be nice.

if you're not building boost, you have a boost leak. you'll have to get under your car and check the intercooler hoses to see if one popped off.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
turbochargers DO NOT engage. It's a mechanical part that creates boost via air pressure. Seriously....you needed the turbo to "engage" to speed up? LOL

Should have got a Prius, man.

my throttle body hose blew off once and let's just say...i understand what he means. turbo delete makes turns this car into a roughly 90hp sled.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I'm thinking one of two probable things:
1) you weren't in the proper gear and were just out of boost
2) you have a boost leak somewhere (maybe a hose came loose)

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Turbos working by building pressure, if there's a leak somewhere there is no build of pressure which can make it feel like the turbo is not working.

Cuervo

Passed Driver's Ed
1) I am a noob. Never had a VW before, new to the turbo world, and I just upgraded from an older civic (yeah yeah I already know)

2) sorry, should've been more specific.

Manual trans. Do the usual, start in first gear, shift as needed. But i don't thin it was spooling. I've recently got an ear for why the spool sounds like, and I don't hear it. I just hear a crackling noise, like a campfire burning the embers. It's not the same as the air intake, that much I am certain. I really have no idea if there was an boost leak or what.

So I went this morning to try driving it. But as soon as I turned it on, the engine light came on this morning. So I took it to my mechanic to get a diagnostic reading. Like 7 codes pop up all involving the fuel system. Injectors, low pressure, other stuff. So I took it to a dealer and it's there right now (side note: they "ran out of loaner cars" I dont really believe that but okay).

They're taking care of it. I
Under still under power train and an extended bumper to bumper.

Would injectors really cause the turbo not to "work"?
I'm trying to explain in detail what happens when I hit the throttle.
It'll accelerate like normal in every gear, until I hit roughly 2000 rpm in any single gear, whether it's 2000 rpm in 1st or in 4th or 6th, etc. I dont have a boost gauge. For all I know, I could be getting like, 2 psi. I don't know. I've read on the forums the factory turbo pushes 13 psi on a stock set up, which my car is. But I don't feel any kind of boost coming in usually I'm pushed into my seat (not like in a BT set up, but come on, it's my first turbo car and I upgraded from a 100hp civic.)

So when it gets to 2000 rpm, it'll keep accelerating, but slowly. It takes forever to get to 60mph. In the short time I had it with this problem, I noticed Lower mpg. I usually get about 32 on my way home if I'm just cruising. But I was barely getting 21. Driving the same, same road, not flooring the throttle. You get the idea.

It also took forever to start up. Usually I just put the key in, press in the clutch, turn the key, and you know it usually just turns on in a matter of 2 seconds. The starter would crank a few times, maybe 4. But today, it probably cranked 10-12 times before I pressed on the gas pedal while it was still trying to start up. Then it cranked a few more times, finally came on.

Again, yeah I'm not car guy. No I don't know the terminology that well, but I'm trying.

Long sort short, it's apparently my fuel system. But, why would THAT stop the turbo from spooling?
Or at least, why am I not getting anything out of my turbo? Yes I know because my fuelling system is messed up, but mechanically, where does the fuel system come in on the life of the turbo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk