GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Un-Knowledgeable Sales People

KO7

Ready to race!
My salesman was guy in his early 20's, still going through school.

Very knowledgeable, courteous and enthusiastic, so it was a pleasure dealing with him. His dealership's financing department on the other hand...

mmmoose

Ready to race!
Of course this doesn't excuse his lack of knowledge on the topic. When I got my recent car the salesman was an older guy (65+) and he didn't know how to do shit on the sync system, let alone didn't know where the hazards button was.

My salesman that I bought my GTI from was great though.

Hmm I see that NJ isn't any different with Ford dealerships. Story time! I've had nothing but terrible experiences in all the Ford dealerships I've visited here in PA. Which is a damn shame because I think the company itself is really getting its own shit together when it comes to making nice cars. Unfortunately that doesn't mean jack to me if the dealership network is awful.

I used to own a '02 Focus ZX3 several years back. It was cheap, reliable, economical, and fun to toss around. So when the global platform (European version) Focus made its way back to America in 2012, you bet I was excited to check it out in person. Well I went to about 5 separate Ford dealerships to do just that... and holy shit I've never met such a clueless, unenthusiastic bunch of salesmen my entire life!

I had one salesman confuse the Focus with a Fusion. And I had another salesman from another dealership walk me over to a Fiesta (stood there watching him fiddle with the key fob). At the third dealership I couldn't even grab anyone's attention, so I just left. On the fourth dealership the guy knew NOTHING about the car, and instead focused on awkwardly asking me random personal questions (what I did for a living, where I lived, etc.)... but at least I finally got to test drive one.

Back when I had my old Focus I remembered how the service department was awful. They treated customers like cattle, pushing people in and out as quickly as possible with a bare bones waiting room area. The service reps almost always had an attitude for no reason at all (getting them to honor any deals/coupons was always fun). And the icing on the cake here is that I keep getting spammed with service coupons for a car I haven't owned since 2008. I've called, e-mailed, and even shown up in person to get them to stop with the mail spam.

By comparison VW has spoiled the hell out of me. My local VW dealership offers unlimited free coffee, tea, and soda in the waiting room. As well as a laptop connected to the internet. No need to use any stupid shuttles when they'll just hook you up with free loaner cars. They're always friendly and transparent about anything that needs to be done to your car. They'll even take you out to the lift, to show you any problems they find in person. And if you change your mind about anything, they won't throw a tantrum or try to sell you any BS while you sit there begging for your keys back.

VW just goes that extra mile to educate their salesmen and offer a pleasant (almost VIP) service department experience. I think that's why I ultimately stuck with the VW brand by going from a 2008 Rabbit to a 2014 GTI. I wanted to get back into a Ford, I really did. They've got a lot of nice cars at a decent price right now. But unless they completely revamp their dealership network I just can't see myself returning to that brand anytime soon. :yikes:

nomorehonda

Passed Driver's Ed
When I was recently shopping around for cars, the salesman couldn't get the focus st to start, got the ford equivalent of the blue screen of death. Salesman thru up his hands, I never did drive one and bought the gti three days later.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
When I was recently shopping around for cars, the salesman couldn't get the focus st to start, got the ford equivalent of the blue screen of death. Salesman thru up his hands, I never did drive one and bought the gti three days later.

Ouch.. :yikes:

bgeno

Passed Driver's Ed
My VW salesman was kind of an older guy. Seemed knowledgable and made sure to focus on the things I liked about the GTI going in (fun and practical). He didn't waste time on Bluetooth and audio stuff and all the bells and whistles. We test drove it and he let me open it up, let me check out legroom and storage space and that was it.

When I test drove the ST, the salesman was kind of an ass. I think when a young guy (25 yo), walks in and says "I won't be buying today, but will be in a month or two," he was kind of annoyed. He actually spent five minutes trying to pressure me into buying before we even drove the thing. My response was always a simple "nope, not today." When we actually drove, he did let me hammer it once or twice, which was cool.

Now, the salesman who showed me a WRX was a pompous ass. He spent the whole test drive telling me what he did to his old WRX and what it sold for and how much he has put into his current Mustang. He said "Subarus sell themselves... You either get it or you don't."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I really liked the salesman that I leased my GTI from.
Went back to him again when my term was up and I purchased my GTI off lease.
I'll see him again when I go for a MK7 one day.

Having said that, I don't look to a cars salesman for any information about a vehicle.
For the most part, they don't know anything more about the cars they are selling than even the most slightly informed consumer does.
Certainly any consumer can learn more about the vehicles he is interested in than most any salesman will be able to show him.
Most of them are not "car guys" (of course some are) in my experience, but rather - they are salesmen.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
My VW salesman was kind of an older guy. Seemed knowledgable and made sure to focus on the things I liked about the GTI going in (fun and practical). He didn't waste time on Bluetooth and audio stuff and all the bells and whistles. We test drove it and he let me open it up, let me check out legroom and storage space and that was it.

When I test drove the ST, the salesman was kind of an ass. I think when a young guy (25 yo), walks in and says "I won't be buying today, but will be in a month or two," he was kind of annoyed. He actually spent five minutes trying to pressure me into buying before we even drove the thing. My response was always a simple "nope, not today." When we actually drove, he did let me hammer it once or twice, which was cool.

Now, the salesman who showed me a WRX was a pompous ass. He spent the whole test drive telling me what he did to his old WRX and what it sold for and how much he has put into his current Mustang. He said "Subarus sell themselves... You either get it or you don't."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow.. What an obnoxious salesperson. It's unprofessional to go on about what he did to his old WRX and such, and focus on that.

AsianInaMk6

Passed Driver's Ed
Technically it is keyless entry . . .

In regards to the DSG, not only is this my first GTI or dual clutch vehicle, but it is my first automatic in 7 years. I think my problem was that I assumed "S" was the manual mode, nobody told me otherwise, and I didn't even consider the fact that the shifter could move to the right.... So that's my fault, but if he knew, that would have been helpful lol

I went in there after e-mailing them stating "This exact car on your site is the one I want, I'd like to come in and buy it". So there was no "selling me" on the car. I knew what it was, and I wanted it in my driveway, yet, when we first walked out to it, he said the greatest line ever with a massive grin on his face:

"This isn't just any Volkswagen Golf, this is the 2014 GTI Drivers Edition!"

No kidding, why do you think I'm here?

Overall though, he really was a great guy. He worked to get me a lower interest rate than I had on the loan I went there with, just so I could afford it at the price they wanted. Didn't matter to me at all because in the end, I'll be paying the same amount out of pocket each month!
Same here man this is my first automatic in 7 years and first gti.

33b5e5

Passed Driver's Ed
Two amusing dealership stories:

I was shopping for a new Mazda MX-6 in the mid 90's. I went into the dealer and told the salesman what I wanted, and as we were walking across the lot I saw a new twin turbo RX-7 and said, "Boy, that looks like a fun car." He said, "Great, I'll get the keys." I explained that there was no way on earth I was buying that car- it just didn't fit what I needed at that time. He said, "I don't care. We're going for a ride." Okay, then. He got the keys and I headed up on the highway to get off at the next exit. As I accelerated up the ramp he started slapping the dashboard and shrieking "PUNCH IT! PUNCH IT! PUNCH IT!" until he was red in the face. LOL! So I did, and very quickly hit speeds that I shouldn't. That car was pretty damn fast. I had a Vette at the time and that RX-7 felt a lot quicker.

Another time I was helping a friend shop for a car. He was looking for a new Ford SUV- I think it was an Expedition. We went on a test drive and I asked the salesman what the "tiny vent" was for in the lower center area of the dashboard. I believed it was where the sensor was located for the interior temperature to control the HVAC. "Oh, that," he said, "is the exhaust pipe for the airbag. You don't wanna get near that thing in a crash. When the airbag goes off, BAM, watch out!" Lol. A simple "I have no idea" would have sufficed.

GOBbluth

Ready to race!
My sales guy was very knowledgeable. In fact, he said he had applied and been selected to a full course and model tutorial for the mk6 R launch in Germany and he had just returned from it.

I got a gti, but dude really knew his stuff. During the test drive, he Insisted I take an off ramp at 60mph so he could show off the electronic LSD.

JerrBear

Ready to race!
the salesman I had was saying how vw's doors are very well made.
He then opened the passenger door and climbed on it with his 160lbs weight like this.

Oh,, and he was playing with the dsg launch control for a few times, but I didn't get to play it ):

LOL I think that's something they taught in training because my salesman did the same thing....

Griff94

Passed Driver's Ed
the salesman I had was saying how vw's doors are very well made.
He then opened the passenger door and climbed on it with his 160lbs weight like this.

Oh,, and he was playing with the dsg launch control for a few times, but I didn't get to play it ):

There's a video of a fairly heavy guy doing this on YouTube. I'll link to video when I get out of class

trev1342

Go Kart Champion