GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

United Motorsports Gen5 Haldex for MQB Vehicles

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Said to be released at Wookies in the Woods this year (from the main page):

http://unitedmotorsport.net/products/haldex-software/?vehicleId=1377&productId=1491

Haldex Performance Software
United Motorsport Haldex software has hundreds of hours of calibration work and custom strategical control. This software is flashed directly into the Haldex control unit, not into the engines ECU; it will work with all engine ECU software and is not transmission specific. The same torque will be transferred whether your vehicle is manual or automatic. Unlike other available controllers It will also work on diesel models. It does not require any external devices to switch mode; this is all taken care of automatically inside our software.

Modes Available:

Performance Mode: When requesting the most performance from your car, our software passes more torque to the rear than ANY other controller. While still retaining drive-ability and keeping with in hardware limits. Performance requested is based on pedal position. The harder you press the pedal, the more torque our software will transfer to the rear.

ECO Mode: While cruising our software decouples any drive to the rear, this creates better fuel economy while cruising. This decreases wear on an expensive non serviceable part. ECO mode is automatically engaged when your car moving along the road at steady speed, the same for throttle position. For Example, if you are driving down the road at a steady 70 mph this will engage ECO mode. At any point, if wheel spin is detected, 4wd will be engaged.

Variable Brake Distribution: While braking the software applies appropriate torque to the rear. This makes the car more stable in a hard braking situation. A MAJOR part of this control is vehicle speed, which prevents any binding of the drive train whilst steering at ANY low speeds (ie trying to park the car). This is also true of left foot braking, unlike stock.

This chart shows how much torque can be transferred to the rear wheels from various versions of software.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Said to be released at Wookies in the Woods this year (from the main page):

http://unitedmotorsport.net/products/haldex-software/?vehicleId=1377&productId=1491

Haldex Performance Software
United Motorsport Haldex software has hundreds of hours of calibration work and custom strategical control. This software is flashed directly into the Haldex control unit, not into the engines ECU; it will work with all engine ECU software and is not transmission specific. The same torque will be transferred whether your vehicle is manual or automatic. Unlike other available controllers It will also work on diesel models. It does not require any external devices to switch mode; this is all taken care of automatically inside our software.

Modes Available:

Performance Mode: When requesting the most performance from your car, our software passes more torque to the rear than ANY other controller. While still retaining drive-ability and keeping with in hardware limits. Performance requested is based on pedal position. The harder you press the pedal, the more torque our software will transfer to the rear.

ECO Mode: While cruising our software decouples any drive to the rear, this creates better fuel economy while cruising. This decreases wear on an expensive non serviceable part. ECO mode is automatically engaged when your car moving along the road at steady speed, the same for throttle position. For Example, if you are driving down the road at a steady 70 mph this will engage ECO mode. At any point, if wheel spin is detected, 4wd will be engaged.

Variable Brake Distribution: While braking the software applies appropriate torque to the rear. This makes the car more stable in a hard braking situation. A MAJOR part of this control is vehicle speed, which prevents any binding of the drive train whilst steering at ANY low speeds (ie trying to park the car). This is also true of left foot braking, unlike stock.

This chart shows how much torque can be transferred to the rear wheels from various versions of software.
Great news.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Very interesting, well done UM for being the first out to offer a Haldex flash I believe!

It's not 100% clear but I'm guessing the graph is showing competitors haldex flashes or controllers when they say "various versions of software". Am I correct in that assumption? If that's the case the graphs would have to be based on a MK6R at newest. Still an improvement in torque transfer, just nothing to compare to on the MK7R unless it's completely the same (though it's not the same generation controller so I doubt it's apples to apples).

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
All the info seems to be direct copy paste from previous Haldex generation tunes. All I want is a complete 50/50 split when using launch control.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I just don't see where this does anything. You get 50% to the rear wheels when the fronts are slipping. On decel in Sport mode the rear wheels are connected. When cruising the Haldex is disconnected. It seems to me the clutches would be operating more often with this tune, increasing wear on this non-serviceable, very expensive part, and you'll have no warranty. Perhaps if you are a professional driver and earning money, you won't mind spending up to $5,000 for a new one.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
I just don't see where this does anything. You get 50% to the rear wheels when the fronts are slipping. On decel in Sport mode the rear wheels are connected. When cruising the Haldex is disconnected. It seems to me the clutches would be operating more often with this tune, increasing wear on this non-serviceable, very expensive part, and you'll have no warranty. Perhaps if you are a professional driver and earning money, you won't mind spending up to $5,000 for a new one.
Good points, I'm waiting to see some empirical evidence showing the benefits of this tune. More importantly, are they also developing a kit to make this part serviceable?

I'd be willing to try this out but need to find out if it comes with a satisfaction guarantee.

Mk72015

Ready to race!

Good point, now I know that Haldex will vary on what percentage of the power goes to the back. I know its max is up to 50% to the back. It varies on wheel spin from what I know, from personal use there is times where I feel like the majority of the power is still going to the front even tho I'm spinning. I think to have for sure 50/50 launch would mean a much smoother/harder launch.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Good point, now I know that Haldex will vary on what percentage of the power goes to the back. I know its max is up to 50% to the back. It varies on wheel spin from what I know, from personal use there is times where I feel like the majority of the power is still going to the front even tho I'm spinning. I think to have for sure 50/50 launch would mean a much smoother/harder launch.

You must be tuned or in the snow or rain with the TC off to spin the wheels.

I would need to do more research, but the Haldex piping is always at 650 PSI, ready to instantly close the clutches. Is there a mechanism to vary pressure to the clutch actuator? I never saw anything that suggests that. I always figured it was all or nothing.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Is there a mechanism to vary pressure to the clutch actuator? I never saw anything that suggests that. I always figured it was all or nothing.

There is as its the same base unit (with heavy modifications) as the FDL unit...

Direct quote for the AWD section of the self study guide from VW:- ""The working piston compresses the clutch pack within the clutch basket with different pressures. the level of pressure applied determines how much drive torque is transferred to the rear axle..."""

BTW its 44 bar (638psi) that the pressure relief valve is set to as its Metric system....

Mk72015

Ready to race!
You must be tuned or in the snow or rain with the TC off to spin the wheels.

I would need to do more research, but the Haldex piping is always at 650 PSI, ready to instantly close the clutches. Is there a mechanism to vary pressure to the clutch actuator? I never saw anything that suggests that. I always figured it was all or nothing.

Yes I'm FBO on a hybrid turbo, I just spin to about 30-40mph. Like you said i'd have to find out more info on exactly how are Haldex works.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
There is as its the same base unit (with heavy modifications) as the FDL unit...

Direct quote for the AWD section of the self study guide from VW:- ""The working piston compresses the clutch pack within the clutch basket with different pressures. the level of pressure applied determines how much drive torque is transferred to the rear axle..."""

BTW its 44 bar (638psi) that the pressure relief valve is set to as its Metric system....
Dave, as always thank you for the info.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I hope UM can update with a bit more information on the Gen5 flash so that there is less conjecture about what it does and how it works. I mean I completely missed it the first time I looked at the site but that graph is for GEN1 controllers.

If I'm not mistaken there is a hard cap at 50/50 split with 4Motion, correct? Meaning we'd never see more than 50% power to the rear, but on a stock car that means half of 280 ft lbs. When you have a tuned big turbo car putting out twice that power, would a revised haldex tune allow for an increase in torque over a preset software limit, but within hardware limits? Could it more aggressively apply the clutches? I think that's what the text on the site is alluding to but I'm not sure how it all applies to every generation controller.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You'll never get more than 50% to the rear wheels unless you can limit power to the front axles. Which would take stopping power from reaching them. You can try removing the front axles and see what the ECU does. I'm guessing apply the front brakes.

r-gazmic

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes I'm FBO on a hybrid turbo, I just spin to about 30-40mph. Like you said i'd have to find out more info on exactly how are Haldex works.

You sure the Haldex is actually working? I had a buddy with a 3+ R and when he was spinning that bad it was because the Haldex unit was busted. That failed (another friend had a 2015 A3 with the same failure) without throwing any kind of CEL or warning, had to get out VCDS and scan, then they got a code about Haldex being broken.

Maybe your hybrid is producing a ton of power, but if an R is spinning at those speeds I tend to think something is broken.