GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Very sensitive break pedal

Serpher

Car(s)
2019 1.5 TSI 150ps
I just got my Golf MK7 DSG and coming from manuals, the break pedal when going really slow or in reverse is super sensitive. Can I adjust it a bit to not being so sensitive to the touch?

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Brakes are pretty sharp/sensitive on these cars....and some pads more so than others on top of that. Personally I really like the sharpness - you'll get used to it and then other cars brakes will feel dull to you!

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
@Serpher: Hi.

While @YamR1rider advice is correct - your observation regarding the Brake function at slow-speed/reverse could be caused by. . factors other than brake-pedal pressure. The ABS module in this MQB platform car has lots of supporting functions (like hill-hold, dynamic starting assist, Electrical Parking Brake, Hydraulic brake assist etc) that can affect driver experience!

Do you have access to a diagnostic device such as OBDeleven?

Don

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Very sensitive, I believe it's from a generous amount hydraulic assist. I like it. Try driving a 60's Chevy with no power brakes then say it's too sensitive.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Never noticed that before, but then again I don't talk to my brake pedal very often 🤷‍♂️

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Yes I do.
@Serpher. OK - I normally start my reply to these sort of matters with a statement of the obvious (but it's worth saying nevertheless IMO): tinkering with the factory settings of safety functions like the car's brakes should ONLY be done with extreme care - and clearly the responsibility to do so remains with the decision maker (i.e. not me)!

Depending on which diagnostic device you use - you should find an adaptation channel in the module that lives @ address hex03 called Hydraulic brake assistant - which should have the default setting normal. I've not personally done this tweak - but If the value is changed to not active, it has been reported that it allows the driver to modulate brake pressure progressively. This sounds kind-of like your wants - maybe?

The remaining issue is which security code is necessary to make the above change. Again for obvious reasons, VW has cloaked the 03 module with a large string of different security codes to restrict access to coding changes. This is entirely proper IMO - but it does complicate stuff for those seeking to make coding changes

I included a list of the known security codes for MQB platform cars (like this Golf mk7) on the VCDS forum HERE (I no-longer support the VCDS forum because of the founder's ultra right-wing position on gun-control). On my list - I have noted the security code 11966 for this tweak.

Once again, the way forward is entirely your choice. Maybe @Strange Mud advice is worth considering - wait a while and decide in a couple of months?

Don

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
@Serpher. OK - I normally start my reply to these sort of matters with a statement of the obvious (but it's worth saying nevertheless IMO): tinkering with the factory settings of safety functions like the car's brakes should ONLY be done with extreme care - and clearly the responsibility to do so remains with the decision maker (i.e. not me)!

Depending on which diagnostic device you use - you should find an adaptation channel in the module that lives @ address hex03 called Hydraulic brake assistant - which should have the default setting normal. I've not personally done this tweak - but If the value is changed to not active, it has been reported that it allows the driver to modulate brake pressure progressively. This sounds kind-of like your wants - maybe?

The remaining issue is which security code is necessary to make the above change. Again for obvious reasons, VW has cloaked the 03 module with a large string of different security codes to restrict access to coding changes. This is entirely proper IMO - but it does complicate stuff for those seeking to make coding changes

I included a list of the known security codes for MQB platform cars (like this Golf mk7) on the VCDS forum HERE (I no-longer support the VCDS forum because of the founder's ultra right-wing position on gun-control). On my list - I have noted the security code 11966 for this tweak.

Once again, the way forward is entirely your choice. Maybe @Strange Mud advice is worth considering - wait a while and decide in a couple of months?

Don
Interesting. I thought it was only for the feature that provides full braking power if you press the brake pedal fast and firmly. I once activated it on my MK5 when I thought I would needed to panic stop.

I had the aforementioned MK5 for a number of years. I liked the sensitive brakes, and also found my MK7's to be more sensitive at low speeds. Harder to not get the little "bump" when stopping normally. I could try harder, but I don't really care as long as the wife doesn't complain.

Serpher

Car(s)
2019 1.5 TSI 150ps
Thanks @DV52. I changed the value but car started screaming that breaks are dead and flashing like a Christmas tree. Any other value (early/late/not activated) would cause the car to freak out.
I don't really care as long as the wife doesn't complain.
That's what really matters, true.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks @DV52. I changed the value but car started screaming that breaks are dead and flashing like a Christmas tree. Any other value (early/late/not activated) would cause the car to freak out.
OK - bummer!!!! As I said "I've not personally tried this tweak". HERE is a post from someone that made this change - so apparently the tweak is doable without the "screaming" and "flashing"

I'm really not sure if the other values might be more successful. I guess "early/late" is simply a different form of the factory value "normal" - but again, I've not tried this tweak!

Don

Last edited:

Serpher

Car(s)
2019 1.5 TSI 150ps
Thank you @DV52. I changed the value to Not active and brakes are not as aggressive as before.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I drive my truck or wifes car and the brakes feel broken to me lol, because the brakes on my GTI even when stock were still leaps and bounds better. Now that I have Macan's, that factor is even more so. I have to be careful when switching from car to car because the GTI's brakes are just so much better.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
I've done the setting change and I am going to switch it back to factory.
Of course mileage on this varies, but I felt like really all it did was switch the brake bias forward. I HAVE NO IDEA if it truly changed bias at all or how or at which point the pads start to really engaged the rotor..

But I don't like the way it feels. Especially for autocross. So I am changing mine back to factory.