GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vista Anyone?

HACBassoon

Go Kart Champion
Anyone else running Vista yet?

I was very skeptical at first, but I think I really dig it. Quirky, with the sketchy compatability with software, but its super sharp looking. Very mac-like and smooth.

davesee

FIA GT Champion
im not running yet.. still contemplating buying.

you currently running it HACBassoon?

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
i recently bought a dell laptop... they're sending me the free upgrade kit soon. i'm iffy about installing it though... and yes, it is pretty sketchy. i think i'm going to wait a while... even though it may "look nicer." never know what could happen.

Plexxxy

Passed Driver's Ed
Been trying it since back when it was called Longhorn. Not really all that impressed... I like the pretty interface, but it sure does eat a lot of system resources. And the whole UAC thing is incredibly nagging; I can imagine that will be the first thing people disable. Kinda unfortunate since that's really one of the core security enhancements MS implemented.

I think I'll stick to my current XP & linux (Arch) setup for the time being.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
i'll be waiting till sp1 comes out for it and they get all the drivers in order for it.

CDN_MKV

Wakka Wakka
Installed Vista Ultimate... purs like a kitten (performance index of 5.3) I installed a beta version a few months ago on a different computer but it totally choked it to death. It definitely likes resources.

Overall I like it. Still working through everything...

JJ

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Hell yeah, it requires like 1GB of RAM minimum, and a good video card. :thumbdown: Hopefully I can sell my upgrade kit when it gets here if worse comes to worst and make some mula :tongue:

vernsan

Ready to race!
For people who tried "Long Horn" that was before they scrapped it and started over from scratch. Vista seriously performs a lot better. Even on older machines ranging slow as 1.8ghz 512mb ram and mediocre hare drive space have performed decently. It has worked and hasn't blue screened on me yet, I got a working copy from Microsoft as a early gift for Ultimate. I'm glad to say its nice, but give it some time for programs to migrate into the vista platform before fully moving into it. Just so you know, you can buy Vista as an upgrade without even having a windows installation. Note you can install a clean vista setup with it and works just fine.(If you want to save money)

JC Starr

Touring Car Newbie
i wanna get a mac with os x

Now you are talking... want a great OS? Wait for Leopard coming later this year. After all, Vista is based on features that have been available on OS X Tiger for well over a year now.

I love Apple! :wub:

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Just installed the 32bit ultimate on a spare dell d610 laptop with an intel 2ghz and 1 gig of ram . It found all the drivers and the performance is not bad even with the aero interface. I havent tried using my revo or vag-com software on it.

My coworker installed the 64bit edition and he has a hard time finding 64bit drivers for things like broadband cards and printers. This was on a D620 with core 2 duo.

I had beta 1 and rc2...hated both of them. The interface is beautiful and it comes with some nice utilities for the techies, but software compatibility is horrendous and the UAC is a pain in the ass when using something like winzip to directly unzip files into protected folders. I love the security of it, it makes a lot of sense to have it this way, but I'm not sold yet.

Anyone who has played with RC2 and the final release care to comment on how the two compare?

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
anybody have a windows xp validation hack by chance? :redface: