GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW announces 2013 Model Line-up and changes...

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I hear VW has announced updates to their 2013 model line-up. Anyone have those details?

C4L

Banned
Agreed. The Corolla is a cheap, reliable, fuel-efficient, and easy-to-drive car. That's all many people out there are looking for.

I'm surprised that even many of you guys don't know any better either...

Corolla is one of the more expensive cars in its class when comparably equipped.
Corolla is only mid-pack in terms of reliability in its class.
Corolla is the second weakest but has the worst fuel economy in its class.
Corolla is only mid-pack in terms of resale value in its class.

The Corolla is only popular simply because it is popular.

C4L

Banned
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_dependencePath dependence--if people weren't harmed by their past actions they'll repeat them, even if there are superior options available. The Civic, Corolla and Camry are examples, as is a tendency to write a dissertation in every forum posting :)

Of course I agree with this. That doesn't make it ok. It makes it pretty dumb if you ask me. Sounds like a form of complacency and as I always say;

'complacency fosters mediocrity'

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
I'm surprised that even many of you guys don't know any better either...

Corolla is one of the more expensive cars in its class when comparably equipped.
Corolla is only mid-pack in terms of reliability in its class.
Corolla is the second weakest but has the worst fuel economy in its class.
Corolla is only mid-pack in terms of resale value in its class.

The Corolla is only popular simply because it is popular.

Yeah I was speaking in absolute terms. Pretty much all the major cars in the affordable sub-compact class are: cheap, reliable, fuel-efficient, and easy-to-drive.

I agree with you though, the reason people prefer the Corolla over its peers is what you and danielj said: reputation/history and word of mouth.

C4L

Banned
Yeah I was speaking in absolute terms. Pretty much all the major cars in the affordable sub-compact class are: cheap, reliable, fuel-efficient, and easy-to-drive.

I agree with you though, the reason people prefer the Corolla over its peers is what you and danielj said: reputation/history and word of mouth.

And that is where I do think the 2.0 WOULD hurt the Jetta the most but when 90% sold are the 2.5, I would say the 2.0 is largely irrelevant for more than advertising a low base price of the Jetta as a whole.

That's all I am saying. Sure, the 2.0 sucks. We know this, VW knows this, consumers know this. The ONLY reason it is there is to keep the base price under $17k which is class competitive.

JUST removing the 2.0 and having the 2.5 as the base car would take the price from $16,xxx (mid-pack) to $18,875 (most expensive by more than $1,000).

SAME CAR, SAME SALES, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CONSUMER PERCEPTION IN THE MOST PRICE CONSCIOUS GROUP OF BUYERS.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Which was my whole point! With the new engine can VW remove the 2.0 from its lineup and still remain price-point competitive. Then you said the 2.0 was irrelevant and now you're saying it is.

Hopefully with the new 1.8t the old 2.0 can retired allowing the Jetta to put its best foot forward.

There, thread back on track.

C4L

Banned
This is what you said...

They need to get rid of the horrid 2.0 to be an serious contender. Otherwise the price of the upgraded motor places the car into stiffer competition.

Seems contradictory.

YOU SAID
Get rid of the 2.0
But the 1.8T will raise the price 'into stiffer competition' (which to me I took to mean a higher class/level of car ala Verano/ILX, and NOT harder to compete at its current level of car at the higher price).

Point is,

The price needs to stay under $17k to remain competitive. HOW they do that is irrelevant as cars in this class, at that price point, barely sell anyways. They are designed for advertising low base prices, not a competitive product.

Last edited:

2.0t_convert

Ready to race!
Get rid of the 2.0
But the 1.8T will raise the price 'into stiffer competition' (which to me I took to mean a higher class/level of car ala Verano/ILX, and NOT harder to compete at its current level of car at the higher price).

The new 1.8T will be build in Mexico so it shouldn't cost dramatically more than the 2.0.

An industry insider on another forums posted with confidence that the Jetta has the highest profit margin in the compact car class. If that is true then VW can afford to drop margins a little to allow a better base engine.

C4L

Banned
The new 1.8T will be build in Mexico so it shouldn't cost dramatically more than the 2.0.

An industry insider on another forums posted with confidence that the Jetta has the highest profit margin in the compact car class. If that is true then VW can afford to drop margins a little to allow a better base engine.

I know. I was quoting another poster in saying that.

I have heard the 1.8T and 2.5 can be built alongside one another.
Because of this, and the high profit margins, I don't expect the price to increase at all.

2.0t_convert

Ready to race!
Sorry if this has been posted already but on another forum reported drawings on the next MKVII dash have been leaked.

Very close to the Seat Leon.

CFG9000

Ready to race!
The Seat's interior is nice, but I prefer a bit more symmetry in my interior designs.

DougDome

Go Kart Champion
The Seat's interior is nice, but I prefer a bit more symmetry in my interior designs.

I think you might change your mind after seeing a couple well executed interiors that now focus more on creating a "cockpit" feeling for the driver, where everything is angled towards the person driving the car. The new BMW 5 series does it very well, and that Seat looks great to me.