GOLFMKV

VW drivers are Hipsters!

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
gay hipsters.

Bruno!!!!

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
Lol, well first thing that came to my mind was the Beetle.

Well that was my first car, so not sure why it did not pop in first, but that was over 20 years ago. It had custom yellow paint, black enkeis, lowered, shaved, cal look glass, big ass engine with stinger exhaust, dual weber 48s. Good times.

Not sure if that proves or disproves anything...

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
I do agree, the VW tuner scene is very odd to me. I came from a completely different background of cars and now that I have a GTI I am confused. Where's all the performance related mods? It's all about styling and the whole "hellaflush" thing is bad taste imo. I like a drop, but I like about 1-2 fingers of clearance.
Yet that has spread to other car makes outside of VW, a lot of Hondas, etc are following that trend.

As much as I do like a hellaflushed car, I dont think my GTI would be going in that direction, rather just do that to my automatc integra beater since its already slow and can be low next :p The engineer in me, is making me research suspension setups for the best compromise, and also me liking the GTI's stock performance and handling

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Hipsters don't drive.

Hipsters tend to be an urban crowd, that love fixies and old POS motorcycles.

ChiGuyGolf2.5

Ready to race!
Hipsters don't drive.

Hipsters tend to be an urban crowd, that love fixies and old POS motorcycles.

HAHAHA Totally +1 this! I used to live in Wicker Park in chicago, AKA Hipsterville. Hipsters dont drive, they ride POS bikes and motorcycles or walk in their skinny jeans and converse.

To the OP, the new MK5 or MK6 crowd is definitely not hipsters. I think some might be, but for the most part we are all just the average car enthusiast. You also get a lot of Euro owners. People who really appreciate their European up bringing. There is nothing wrong with that.

GTI'10man

Ready to race!
A friend of mine that drives an mk4 had said the "new scene", i think he was referring to mk5 & 6, were more into the "hellaflush" and exotic color of wheels. While i guess the older scene (mk4 im guessing), kept it simple and clean. Idk i just thought it would add into this

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
A friend of mine that drives an mk4 had said the "new scene", i think he was referring to mk5 & 6, were more into the "hellaflush" and exotic color of wheels. While i guess the older scene (mk4 im guessing), kept it simple and clean. Idk i just thought it would add into this

thats silly.

MK4 is still part of the "newer" crowd then because there's just as many "hellaflush" MK4's. just type "MK4" in to google images and every single image is a stanced GTI haha

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
http://lookatthisfuckinhipster.com/

:D:D:D that site never gets old

I've been called a hipster plenty of times, so maybe the it actually is true. Shit, I'm being trendy without even trying these days! Generally the label is by people who know nothing about me nor nothing about an actual "hipster image" if there is one (I'm into hardcore & metal...pretty much my appearance except for class, and make house music...can't put the finger anywhere).

I'm not a fan of the hellaflush image, but to each his own. I prefer sleek understated mods -- ideal would probably be lowering and new wheels, the rest would be performance related. I'm still getting used to the community here, I am amazed at the amount of money that people my age (24) or younger actually have to drop on their cars--but coming from the classic MB community $1000 is a lot for some cars.

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
BTW, RockChops, i was listening to your soundcloud, i really dig it.

i've been working on a nice deep house set recently and i may want to include one of your tracks. (obviously with credit)

McQueen77

Banned
Yeah, I'm gonna have to call BS on this one. The guys who said VW are hipster cars must be real dorks. They clearly don't see the subtle or not-so-subtle gray areas. For years I lived in the Echo Park and Silverlake area of L.A. and still live very close by to there. Silverlake has been the hipster capital of the world for who knows how long. Brooklyn is too recent to count and has only recently been more gentrified. Its basically the Silverlake of the east coast. I probably know more about that awful subculture than anyone on this board. My old band had residencies at both Spaceland and the Echo and Echoplex, the hipster clubs and my current band just headlined the Filter Magazine (hipster bible) Culture Collide festival in Echo Park 3 weeks ago for 5000 bearded, v-neck tshirt, skinny jean, american apparel trust fund babies. This was into the first week of a month long tour where we played to almost nothing but 'hipsters' in every major market, 1000-1500 seat venues in the United States. Every city has them now, but it came from here. I know hipsters and the VW is not a hipster car. The GTI is a car for people who are into cars, want German engineering and performance on a budget and have some sense of style and understated class. "Pictures or it didn't happen" is fine re: the band/tour thing btw, but I'm not looking to self promote on a car forum. Just take my word for it.

The Prius is the premium choice for the hipster. If one is bought (with mommy and daddy's money of course since none of these people work but seemingly have limitless disposable income with which to go out all the time, shop and aimlessly check email at starbucks on their 3000 dollar MacBook Pros all afternoon while the rest of the world is at work) it must immediately be adorned with the obligatory Obama and Apple sticker on the back windshield. That is the car. I see tons of them with the usual suspects driving them. Besides that, there is the Vespa motor scooter. Or if you are really, really hip and ironic, you'll drive an old Chevy Bronco or really beat up Cadillac. But thats if you are really hip. So yeah, the guys who drive the Chevy Cobalt saying that about the VW... I mean, look.. 'Car guys' or not, the Chevy Cobalt is hideous and dorky. Argue that they aren't all day but they are. So is the Mazda Speed 3. The Cobalt though takes it to another level. It says "I have no class, taste, style or money, but I sure have a fast car". I'm a snob and drive a GTI. I don't give a shit about being perceived as a snob. I'm not trying to make good friends with dorks who love Chevy Cobalts. Lifes too short. If I had the money Id drive a 335i. Priuses make me feel sad. End of long winded story.

Last edited:

sirdudeth

Ready to race!
i find that a lot of VW owners are tools... but that's an entirely different subject all together.