GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Keys and Water

101st_IanC

Autocross Newbie
newtogolf said:
i got 2 remotes, but no valet key.

i wouldve thought its still dangerous to put the valet key in the water because that deactivates the immobiliser

UK does not get the Valet Key anymore - only the 2 folding keys :mad:

With my Audi I had 2 folding keys, 1 Valet Key (looks like a regular key) and 1 plastic emergency key.

Here's Johnny

Drag Racing Champion
My parents 93' Toyots Previa came with that plastic emergency key. That thing was the best idea, it saved my Dad and I at least 10 times after we locked the keys in the car (it was my parents' first car with power locks, everything before has been Vdubs)

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Here's Johnny said:
My parents 93' Toyots Previa came with that plastic emergency key. That thing was the best idea, it saved my Dad and I at least 10 times after we locked the keys in the car (it was my parents' first car with power locks, everything before has been Vdubs)

Unless things have changed with the MkV, you have to work to lock yourself out of the car. You can't lock the driver's door without a key. If you have the key, obviously, you aren't locked out.

However, if you open the trunk only (not the doors) and lay the key in the trunk, then close the trunk, you have defeated the system.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
UK doesn't come with valet key, we just get two electronic keys and the plastic thingy.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
I dropped my keys in the toilet. Long story. I disenfected them and it worked fine. Now, being submerged in water especially salt water for extended time might be a different story. But, the key is waterproof to an extent.

Here's Johnny

Drag Racing Champion
On my MKIV GTI the way I lock my keys in the car is to use the passenger side door lock. It won't let me lock them in the car from the driver's side; I've never tried the hatch trick.

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
Here's Johnny said:
On my MKIV GTI the way I lock my keys in the car is to use the passenger side door lock. It won't let me lock them in the car from the driver's side; I've never tried the hatch trick.
LOL, well i think this is the first time i have seen someone lock their keys in the car. i really hate how you can use the drivers door lock to lock the car, sometimes at 2am i dont want my car HONKING... yet i dont want to disable the lock confirm, oh well. My infiniti iwould hit the drivers side lock button late at night, the car knew if the keys were inside or not via a sensor, and if tehy were inside it wouldnt lock, if tehy were outside, it would lock.

bilbos

On the Kop
My wife managed to lock herself out of the New Beetle we used to have. It has the same key setup as the GTI. She went shopping one day, came back to the car and opened the boot with the remote, threw all the shopping in and slammed the boot shut. Then the realisation that the keys were now locked in the car :redface:

She even called the AA (Automobile Association, not Alcoholics Anonymous before anyone says anything :smile: ) and even they couldn't defeat the deadlocks.

turbonium

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Car(s)
06 GTI, candy white
fyi... i wouldnt reccomend getting any VW keys wet. i guarantee it will jack the remote-type, for sure. corrosion, and dead batteries, etc... not sure about the valet.

in any case, you should be able to get a plastic emergency key cut for your car... very small, and you could use it to unlock the door with the other key inside. they typically come with Audis, but the cut is the same.
p/n is 8D0-837-216-INB