GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Strategy Doomed to Fail (Article)

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Fucking hilarious. But the guy sounds like he grew up in the midwest, where everyone and their uncle have a strong yet ungrounded aversion to VWs. I've been living in MI for 5 years now, but having grown up on the east coast I can tell you the consensus regarding his second point is very different there. You drove a VW because you wanted a smart buy, but had the modicum of self-respect to buy the one with a well-sorted drive.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
One of my favorite parts:

"1. Last year, American consumers purchased approximately 6.4 billion SUVs and crossovers."

:laugh:

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
I like Demuro's writing style, and maybe it's because I analyse this shit for a living, but obvious article is obvious. This was the story 3 years ago when the Jetta went shitty and then the Passat moved to Chattanooga. Chasing volume should not be VW's game, it simply doesn't have the product portfolio for it. What segments have the highest share of industry in the US? SUVs. Compact, in particular. The Tiguan exists, but it's an also-ran compared to the CR-V, Escape, Equinox, and RAV4. No small SUV (which will be the big segment the next few years), no competitive Mid SUV (look at how expensive the Touareg is), no small car (which is a rapidly growing segment), no Large car (which has always been big here). It's a portfolio full of mediocre compact cars, a decent mid car, and that's about it. It's got clever marketing, but that's not enough to move the needle here. VW doesn't get the US market. Until it gets serious about it and really starts to examine the entire portfolio, it's going to continue struggling.

Though globally, it ain't care. Strong performance in China and developing markets will make it successful. The US market is big, but not growing at the rates that China and emerging markets are. VW corp gets that, and might ratchet down the expectations for the US.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I read most of his Carmax Ranger Rover article last night... I don't really find him that funny. It's almost like he tries too hard or something.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I like Demuro's writing style, and maybe it's because I analyse this shit for a living, but obvious article is obvious. This was the story 3 years ago when the Jetta went shitty and then the Passat moved to Chattanooga. Chasing volume should not be VW's game, it simply doesn't have the product portfolio for it. What segments have the highest share of industry in the US? SUVs. Compact, in particular. The Tiguan exists, but it's an also-ran compared to the CR-V, Escape, Equinox, and RAV4. No small SUV (which will be the big segment the next few years), no competitive Mid SUV (look at how expensive the Touareg is), no small car (which is a rapidly growing segment), no Large car (which has always been big here). It's a portfolio full of mediocre compact cars, a decent mid car, and that's about it. It's got clever marketing, but that's not enough to move the needle here. VW doesn't get the US market. Until it gets serious about it and really starts to examine the entire portfolio, it's going to continue struggling.

Though globally, it ain't care. Strong performance in China and developing markets will make it successful. The US market is big, but not growing at the rates that China and emerging markets are. VW corp gets that, and might ratchet down the expectations for the US.

Hello? McFly?

SUPERIOR INTERIOR

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
I read most of his Carmax Ranger Rover article last night... I don't really find him that funny. It's almost like he tries too hard or something.

He definitely does try too hard. Many times the "humor" gets in the way of the actual story, but it's at least an entertaining way to spend a few minutes. Some articles are better than others.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I love how people need someone to write an article to realize this about VW.

I've known and understood VWs problem for a long time now. A general lack of competitive product that's overpriced.

Aside from the GTI/R, the rest of the lineup, while not horrible in any one sense, is bland, uncompetitive, overengineered, and overpriced. Also, they shouldn't be seeking to out-Camry the Camry.

Chasing the #1 spot only results in disaster. Ask GM. Ask Toyota in a few years if they don't drastically change their incentivized method of keeping the Camry in the #1 spot without any real attention paid to actually making the car class-competitive.

I still bought a VW, though. But I bought the only VW that really matters and continues to speak to what VW is, honestly.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I love how people need someone to write an article to realize this about VW.

I've known and understood VWs problem for a long time now. A general lack of competitive product that's overpriced.

Aside from the GTI/R, the rest of the lineup, while not horrible in any one sense, is bland, uncompetitive, overengineered, and overpriced. Also, they shouldn't be seeking to out-Camry the Camry.

Chasing the #1 spot only results in disaster. Ask GM. Ask Toyota in a few years if they don't drastically change their incentivized method of keeping the Camry in the #1 spot without any real attention paid to actually making the car class-competitive.

I still bought a VW, though. But I bought the only VW that really matters and continues to speak to what VW is, honestly.

many camry owners seems to keep buying the same cars because its reliable, when theres many other alternatives out there. we have a neighbor that only buys camry's one mid 90s and early 2000s both XLE and same color, when we moved into the neighborhood they had a late 80s camry (same color). i know a couple asian friends whose parents only strictly approves of "japanese cars only". its also a very popular car with the foreigners here, combined with the camry trend drivers and who just don't care, sales are booming.

vw's are definitely not cheap to own either in long run, coming from a japanese car I'm impressed of how this car is holding up, i thought i was going to have worse experience in reliability when i only had a water pump took crap, that problem doesn't bother me as long as i have warranty and as its a design flaw. i have a feeling i might be one of those vw/audi loyalist drivers.