GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vwuk useless

shadey69

Hi guys.
I ordered a gtd in October and still currently sitting at 00. My dealer is brilliant but still no updates for me. I’ve just spoken to vwuk through live chat and asked when are the factories open. After New Year’s Day was the answer. I then asked if the Golf Gtd line was up and running then to which I had a reply if I can not answer that question.
does anyone know anything better than their response please. I realise the semi conductors are an issue but surely they could tell me if the golf is starting production again or not.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Unless it’s changed recently, VW Customer Services are contracted out to a third party company, so they may limited access to certain information - hence why they were unable to answer your query. I don’t think there’ll be a specific Golf GTI production line in the Wolfsburg production facility - each production line will build a mix of all models. I have read that VW’s Emden factory that builds the Passat is on an extended Christmas / New Year break - production is scheduled to resume on 10th January 2022 but I’ve not seen anything to suggest that Wolfsburg is on a similar extended Christmas / New Year break.

It’s normal practice for VW to only schedule a car’s build to a specific build week once all the parts / components for that car have been ordered and the manufacturers / suppliers of those parts have confirmed to VW when they can supply them. Once that has happened, they’ll issue a confirmed build week, although based on what I’ve read on other forums, even confirmed build dates can move out a number of times due to current supply chain issues - primarily related to semiconductor supplies. Omicron is also likely to be impacting VW’s parts / components suppliers’ production capacity, and VW’s own workforce’s ability to build cars. The Wolfsburg production facility has been running at reduced capacity at times during 2021, and there are apparently large numbers of part built vehicles in storage facilities awaiting semiconductors - presumably these vehicles will need to be moved back into the factory to be completed once semiconductor supplies are received, which could disrupt normal vehicle production.

There’s a forum member over on golfgtiforum.co.uk who used to be a sales manager at one of the large VW dealerships. They now work for a vehicle leasing company and as of last week, they posted on that forum that the current lead time for any Golf is at least 40 weeks. Therefore, based on a best case scenario of a 40 week lead time, for a car ordered in October, you’re probably looking at it being built around June, and allowing 4-5 weeks for transit from the factory to the UK dealer, delivery in July.

shadey69

Unless it’s changed recently, VW Customer Services are contracted out to a third party company, so they may limited access to certain information - hence why they were unable to answer your query. I don’t think there’ll be a specific Golf GTI production line in the Wolfsburg production facility - each production line will build a mix of all models. I have read that VW’s Emden factory that builds the Passat is on an extended Christmas / New Year break - production is scheduled to resume on 10th January 2022 but I’ve not seen anything to suggest that Wolfsburg is on a similar extended Christmas / New Year break.

It’s normal practice for VW to only schedule a car’s build to a specific build week once all the parts / components for that car have been ordered and the manufacturers / suppliers of those parts have confirmed to VW when they can supply them. Once that has happened, they’ll issue a confirmed build week, although based on what I’ve read on other forums, even confirmed build dates can move out a number of times due to current supply chain issues - primarily related to semiconductor supplies. Omicron is also likely to be impacting VW’s parts / components suppliers’ production capacity, and VW’s own workforce’s ability to build cars. The Wolfsburg production facility has been running at reduced capacity at times during 2021, and there are apparently large numbers of part built vehicles in storage facilities awaiting semiconductors - presumably these vehicles will need to be moved back into the factory to be completed once semiconductor supplies are received, which could disrupt normal vehicle production.

There’s a forum member over on golfgtiforum.co.uk who used to be a sales manager at one of the large VW dealerships. They now work for a vehicle leasing company and as of last week, they posted on that forum that the current lead time for any Golf is at least 40 weeks. Therefore, based on a best case scenario of a 40 week lead time, for a car ordered in October, you’re probably looking at it being built around June, and allowing 4-5 weeks for transit from the factory to the UK dealer, delivery in July.
Thank you very much for the reply. It’s the gtd not gti which I wondered if they’d extended diesels to try and get in front with electric and hybrid cars. I thought the golf had its own production line ?? Maybe I’ve been dreaming. Roll on June July august then. 😳

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Sorry, typed GTI but meant GTD! Apologies. I suppose it’s possible that EV’s and hybrids are being given priority over petrol and diesel engined cars, although I don‘t know if VW would give you a straight answer if you asked the question.
I then asked if the Golf Gtd line was up and running then to which I had a reply if I can not answer that question.
I thought the golf had its own production line ??
Yes, the Golf is likely to have its own production line, but there wont be a production line just for GTD’s.

I suppose the only consolation is that the vast majority of - if not all - car manufacturers will have the same issue of semiconductor supply issues, so there are likely to be very long lead times whichever make / model of car you order. Hopefully the wait won’t seem too long.

shadey69

Sorry, typed GTI but meant GTD! Apologies. I suppose it’s possible that EV’s and hybrids are being given priority over petrol and diesel engined cars, although I don‘t know if VW would give you a straight answer if you asked the question.

Yes, the Golf is likely to have its own production line, but there wont be a production line just for GTD’s.

I suppose the only consolation is that the vast majority of - if not all - car manufacturers will have the same issue of semiconductor supply issues, so there are likely to be very long lead times whichever make / model of car you order. Hopefully the wait won’t seem too long.
Hey that’s fine no need to apologise. I think straight answers are far and few between nowadays if I’m honest. Happy new year pal hope 2022 is a good one for you and your family 😀

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie