GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wall Street Protest

djax1

Ready to race!
because capitalism.

agreed. it's crazy how our country was founded on the notion of having rights. we've taken this to a whole new level. i hear people say politics is a waste of time and is insignificant to me, but people should know that Congress and those lobbying laws/regulation to legislators are constantly shaping the way we live in the U.S.

and what you've been reiterating about corporations is true to a certain extent. i think the right mix and balance between public and private sectors would benefit everybody, but corporations do have a lot of political and financial power that they are huge players in shaping policy in this country. calling the shots for the rest of us is really downsizing what we once thought to be the "American dream". sigh.

Grownman

Ready to race!
agreed. it's crazy how our country was founded on the notion of having rights. we've taken this to a whole new level. i hear people say politics is a waste of time and is insignificant to me, but people should know that Congress and those lobbying laws/regulation to legislators are constantly shaping the way we live in the U.S.

and what you've been reiterating about corporations is true to a certain extent. i think the right mix and balance between public and private sectors would benefit everybody, but corporations do have a lot of political and financial power that they are huge players in shaping policy in this country. calling the shots for the rest of us is really downsizing what we once thought to be the "American dream". sigh.

:thumbsup:

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

HatchFanatic06

Ready to race!

And if anyone on this forum is a supporter/activist in this movement be sure to feed the meter on that nice VW GTI that you paid the "corporations" to drive to your special movement.

Occupy wallstreet is not the 99%, its made up of about 89% lazy people and 10% of those who have a legit gripe. This might sound harsh but im tired of seeing signs from college students complaining about XX amount of student loans looking for a handout. You want to occupy something? how about you start contributing and occupy a job?

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
Occupy wallstreet is not the 99%, its made up of about 89% lazy people and 10% of those who have a legit gripe. This might sound harsh but im tired of seeing signs from college students complaining about XX amount of student loans looking for a handout. You want to occupy something? how about you start contributing and occupy a job?

that's the point i was trying to make throughout this whole thread. you were just more blunt with it.

HatchFanatic06

Ready to race!
that's the point i was trying to make throughout this whole thread. you were just more blunt with it.

It seemed like a few people were leaning this way. I don't care, if peoples feelings were hurt by what i said then they more then likely fall into that 89% category.

Mille170

Ready to race!
Couldn't agree more. People so desperately want to be part of something, I'm willing to bet that most of them do not even know what they are complaining about.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
And if anyone on this forum is a supporter/activist in this movement be sure to feed the meter on that nice VW GTI that you paid the "corporations" to drive to your special movement.

Connecting the “absolute” that we all basically have to utilize corporations to at least some extent in our lives, is not really defeating or making much of a point against this movement – which is speaking out against people being greedy and people gambling away our society and our debts on Wall Street. Did the peasants in the medieval times not also wear clothes and go to the church that the king and queen went to, and eat food, etc? your “connection” has nothing to do with the problem. Corporations and capitalism in of itself is not evil – greed is evil – people taking more and more and paying less and less, while our jobs are shipped overseas, while profits continue to rise, stock prices continue to rise, and people here suffer, that is the problem. You nor I have no idea what makes up the people down there – we don’t know if people are down there on their lunch break or their day off or whatever, we do not know, but the idea is there and says something.

I work in corporate America, and I am doing fairly well for myself – so I see greed first hand… I see 400 people suffer, so 10 can get big bonuses. I’ve learned about the speculative trading market, the credit default swaps, etc, but the media has you tricked into thinking it was just the poor blacks and Mexicans who couldn’t afford houses that got us into this mess, not all the douchebags on wall street, or the government not regulating (they allowed AIG to do their thing, Greenspan either ignored it because he didn’t understand it, or because it was making money, plain and simple).

Don’t tell me about people working – millions of people work through horrible jobs with shitty pay, terrible or non-existent raises, have looming education loans and mortgages (how much have both those gone up the last 20-30years, 300%? And wages remain basically stagnant) , raising kids, etc. Just because so many have it good in this country, doesn’t mean those who do have something to complain about aren’t doing their fair share of working.

Couldn't agree more. People so desperately want to be part of something, I'm willing to bet that most of them do not even know what they are complaining about.

Eh, not so much – I think they may not always know specifics, but they know its been unfair – they know there is a divide, and they definitely know that someone has protection for the wealthy and the corporations, while the rest are left to argue about stupid shit like religion, abortion, and tax rates every 4years, so regardless, nothing changes, and the same people are still protected.

Mille170

Ready to race!
Why is it that people fail to realize how necessary major corporations are to our existence. These huge corporations are the reason nearly all of us have jobs whether directly or indirectly. They are given tax cuts and protected because without them our unemployment rate would be astronomical.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Why is it that people fail to realize how necessary major corporations are to our existence. These huge corporations are the reason nearly all of us have jobs whether directly or indirectly. They are given tax cuts and protected because without them our unemployment rate would be astronomical.

I don't think anyone has argued most of those points... so you're missing the point. And remember, the tax cuts and protection help them to also send your job overseas...... while the top guys make the big bucks, and the shareholders prosper.

Like most things, there's a balance that needs to be maintained - things are not always black or white, but I always forget this is America, where it is either black or white - completely polarized... and thats why we get nothing done. Because everyone has the mentality of a 5 year old....

Mille170

Ready to race!
I did not bother to read the whole thread, that is just how I feel. Also, do these people know what they would do if they actually got what they wanted or are they just complaining for the sake of complaining. What would these people, or the rest of the world for that matter, do if tomorrow there were no big corporations?

Just a thought

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I did not bother to read the whole thread, that is just how I feel. Also, do these people know what they would do if they actually got what they wanted or are they just complaining for the sake of complaining. What would these people, or the rest of the world for that matter, do if tomorrow there were no big corporations?

Just a thought

what? you are not making much sense.

What people want, most peole at least, is some form of equality. We live in a nation where at least some sort of basic healthcare should be available. People want things like that... or, perhaps they believe that a CEO shouldn't make 400+ times what the average worker makes. Or perhaps that so many jobs shouldn't be shipped overseas?

Again, like the other guy, you are missing the point - it is not the fact that corporations exist that is the problem, it is how they handle themselves and how they are regulated or not regulated, that is the problem. Greed is the real issue here, risk/gambling money like its Vegas is an issue. Does anyone on here know what the speculative market really does/is? its basically gambling on sales that take place in the future (hence the term, "futures"). Oil prices shooting up had a lot more to do with that than "supply and demand".

So many people miss the point.. its truly sad. Their system is made to be complex and confusing, so only those with money can get into it and understand it, and then utilize it for profit. They don't want normal people understanding this shit, cos then we'd all do it. They use that, and then the media, to blindside you into believing that its your neighbor's fault, when its in fact some doucebag in a suit who makes $500K a year or whatever's fault, cos he's gambling on your neighbor's house, or the corn market, etc. Its truly brilliant, this propaganda machine we have...

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
Connecting the “absolute” that we all basically have to utilize corporations to at least some extent in our lives, is not really defeating or making much of a point against this movement – which is speaking out against people being greedy and people gambling away our society and our debts on Wall Street. Did the peasants in the medieval times not also wear clothes and go to the church that the king and queen went to, and eat food, etc? your “connection” has nothing to do with the problem. Corporations and capitalism in of itself is not evil – greed is evil – people taking more and more and paying less and less, while our jobs are shipped overseas, while profits continue to rise, stock prices continue to rise, and people here suffer, that is the problem. You nor I have no idea what makes up the people down there – we don’t know if people are down there on their lunch break or their day off or whatever, we do not know, but the idea is there and says something.

I work in corporate America, and I am doing fairly well for myself – so I see greed first hand… I see 400 people suffer, so 10 can get big bonuses. I’ve learned about the speculative trading market, the credit default swaps, etc, but the media has you tricked into thinking it was just the poor blacks and Mexicans who couldn’t afford houses that got us into this mess, not all the douchebags on wall street, or the government not regulating (they allowed AIG to do their thing, Greenspan either ignored it because he didn’t understand it, or because it was making money, plain and simple).

Don’t tell me about people working – millions of people work through horrible jobs with shitty pay, terrible or non-existent raises, have looming education loans and mortgages (how much have both those gone up the last 20-30years, 300%? And wages remain basically stagnant) , raising kids, etc. Just because so many have it good in this country, doesn’t mean those who do have something to complain about aren’t doing their fair share of working.

Eh, not so much – I think they may not always know specifics, but they know its been unfair – they know there is a divide, and they definitely know that someone has protection for the wealthy and the corporations, while the rest are left to argue about stupid shit like religion, abortion, and tax rates every 4years, so regardless, nothing changes, and the same people are still protected.

At your own request, I came to read this. I saw this post and decided I really didn't have anything else to add except this:

People fail to realize that yes, corporations are a part of life; no, capitalism is not the devil...greed is; and lastly, those very same corporations sign into a contract, spoken or unspoken, with the workers that represent the grease and the gears which keep their profits coming in.

Elizabeth Warren summed it up quite perfectly during a meeting she had...she discussed this "contract".

The problem isn't that these companies make money, it's the disparity that has been allowed to grow. I remember when having a job and doing your part meant you could get quality health care at a reasonable cost (debatable but definitely moreso than now), could save for retirement without hesitation, could send your kids to college and live a somewhat comfortable life. That end of the bargain has vanished and I haven't even been in the workforce for more than 20 years myself!

Now you have complicated high-deductible health care plans that continually cover less and less, wages that have no where near increased at the pace of the cost of living and a MAJOR struggle to give your kids a better life than you had (which is evident by the very same protesters that are graduating college with no viable options for their own futures).

All the while, the politicians and the companies lie in bed, feeding the fat, ignorant American people (hello pizza = vegetable!) their propaganda and lies to continue to keep us placated, fat and ignorant. "Who got eliminated from Idol!?!?!" is what you should be concerned about...not "what happened to my future?!?!!?". There was a time when protesting something so OBVIOUSLY corrupt didn't ellicit this sort of negative reaction from the citizens of this country...this was before the sheep were led to pasture on their couches with their reality TV. That same propaganda somehow was able to convince private sector employees in some states to support tearing down unions that gave people in the public sector better benefits then they sometimes have...instead of those people asking why THEY cannot also have those same, better benefits...MADNESS!

Fucking country is a disaster. Fuck you, America.

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
true that.... esp the TV / pop star shit vs paying attention to our society and our future. That and buying shit keeps us placated. No doubt.