GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty is up!

langer

i fix teefs
Informal poll.
My warranty just expired, 72k miles came and went. What would you guys do for next steps? 2018 R. Currently have an AWE catted downpipe mated to stock exhaust and an APR intercooler. JB4 on there. No flash tune.
I was considering EQT vortex but I don't think I want to upgrade fueling. Probably pick up cat back exhaust. Any different route you guys would consider. I do not want to do engine internals. Just want to refresh car a little to keep me from looking at new ones.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Easy solution....

SELL IT!!.........It'll be a money pit & everything will break now that the car is just out of warranty!!!!... :ROFLMAO:

& how long have I had mine??....errr 9yrs!!......money spent??.....enough, but not a much as others on this forum.....:oops:

Got mine Revo stage 1+ tuned after it went out of warranty......

Will have to spend money on "refreshing" the brakes & suspension due to age & rust (salted winter roads & sea air).....

WhyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Not sure how much JB4 adds but maybe go EQT stage 2 tuning since you already have a downpipe and intercooler? Also any maintenance things that might need to be addressed( though you might be caught up on all of those). Maybe some suspension mods? Rear sway bar? Lots of ways to go.

langer

i fix teefs
Do you have ethanol nearby? Just moving away from the JB4 to an EQT stage 2 E30 tune seems like a nice, but modest improvement. Or something like this perhaps if you're willing to do a turbo upgrade.
I've thought about ethanol, but I don't think I want to go that route. The less fiddly the better for me. Definitely doing turbo upgrade, trying to decide between vortex and vortex XL. But I think XL might be wasted on my car without doing internals and fueling, so I'm leaning vortex.

langer

i fix teefs
Easy solution....

SELL IT!!.........It'll be a money pit & everything will break now that the car is just out of warranty!!!!... :ROFLMAO:

& how long have I had mine??....errr 9yrs!!......money spent??.....enough, but not a much as others on this forum.....:oops:

Got mine Revo stage 1+ tuned after it went out of warranty......

Will have to spend money on "refreshing" the brakes & suspension due to age & rust (salted winter roads & sea air).....
Haha. I'm a mid-atlantic east coaster, so I'm familiar with salt during the winter. Suspension is definitely on my list of wear/tear items. Something is creaking over speed bumps, I'm guessing some bushings. I've thought about selling it and just going to a lexus. Not nearly as fun but I know issues will be small to none. My wife's 4Runner is a reliable ass (boring as hell) daily.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
I've thought about ethanol, but I don't think I want to go that route. The less fiddly the better for me. Definitely doing turbo upgrade, trying to decide between vortex and vortex XL. But I think XL might be wasted on my car without doing internals and fueling, so I'm leaning vortex.
Both will want fueling mods to be used to full potential, but many (most) run the XL without internals.

The list should really be turbo, LPFP, MPI.i know you said no fueling mods, but I think even for pump gas, you’ll want a HPFP on Vortex.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
And 5-bar sensors, for increased boost/more power potential.

langer

i fix teefs
Both will want fueling mods to be used to full potential, but many (most) run the XL without internals.

The list should really be turbo, LPFP, MPI.i know you said no fueling mods, but I think even for pump gas, you’ll want a HPFP on Vortex.
I'm softening my stance on my 'no fueling mods'. I had an APR pump on my mkv gti and never had an issue with it. Besides the usual cam follower replacement, which was needed even without an upgraded HPFP.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
I'm softening my stance on my 'no fueling mods'. I had an APR pump on my mkv gti and never had an issue with it. Besides the usual cam follower replacement, which was needed even without an upgraded HPFP.
Honestly, a lot of people have issues with the HPFP seizing on these cars. The correct move is 100% LPFP/MPI

Edit: RS3 LPFP is a good choice. The new EQT Brushless pump has had some issues recently if I recall correctly.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Edit: RS3 LPFP is a good choice. The new EQT Brushless pump has had some issues recently if I recall correctly.

A brushless pump you can get for under $100 on AliExpress has had some issues?! Say it ain't so!!

langer

i fix teefs
Honestly, a lot of people have issues with the HPFP seizing on these cars. The correct move is 100% LPFP/MPI

Good to know about eqt lpfp.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual

Running just fine on a hpfp only with a vortex

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Running just fine on a hpfp only with a vortex
I'm not saying it won't work. Just that a lot of failures have occurred with it - more so than LPFP/MPI