GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weight reduction

wheelman186

With the MK8 being such a new platform, I haven‘t seen any threads on forums listing common weight reduction items the way we’ve seen with the MKV and MKVI etc etc. Anyone have any weight saving mods or tips to share? Any part swaps to save weight? Let’s discuss

C0TT1S

Passed Driver's Ed
It really depends on your sim with the car. If you’re going for full track mode then take all interior out swap driver seat for another that fits into a 7/7.5 as they’re they same mounting points.

wheelman186

It really depends on your sim with the car. If you’re going for full track mode then take all interior out swap driver seat for another that fits into a 7/7.5 as they’re they same mounting points.
Not really going for a stripped out track build, but in my experience, every pound counts! More like, on the MKVI how you could swap out some of the steel suspension components for aluminum ones off the Passat. Shaves like 10lbs of unsprung mass. Or if any other model VW has like forged or lighter wheels, like how the 350z had Rays wheels on the track trim that were a great swap for the lower trims.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Some of the more obvious things were done from factory, like the mk8 gets an aluminum subframe stock. Seats, exhaust, battery, and wheels are usually going to be the low-hanging fruit. Rear seat delete and lithium battery are probably the best weight reduction per dollar. Things like aluminum control arms are a) not much, if any lighter and b) you have to deal with figuring out tie rods, knuckles, etc. since you'd be swapping to 8S TT parts.

C0TT1S

Passed Driver's Ed
Not really going for a stripped out track build, but in my experience, every pound counts! More like, on the MKVI how you could swap out some of the steel suspension components for aluminum ones off the Passat. Shaves like 10lbs of unsprung mass. Or if any other model VW has like forged or lighter wheels, like how the 350z had Rays wheels on the track trim that were a great swap for the lower trims.
Have you checked out Shop Daps YouTube channel ? He looks at all the parts that are the same from a 7.5 and an 8 which means he can highlight what can be swapped.

Mk7 v Mk8 R parts

Mk7 v mk8 GTI parts

Hope this puts a little light on it for you.

wheelman186

Have you checked out Shop Daps YouTube channel ? He looks at all the parts that are the same from a 7.5 and an 8 which means he can highlight what can be swapped.

Mk7 v Mk8 R parts

Mk7 v mk8 GTI parts

Hope this puts a little light on it for you.
Fantastic resource! Thank you for that. looks like all my breaks at work will be occupied watching some of these YouTube videos

C0TT1S

Passed Driver's Ed
Fantastic resource! Thank you for that. looks like all my breaks at work will be occupied watching some of these YouTube videos
extremely entertaining channel as well with all sorts of builds. Check out the humble mechanic as well, it’s his Mk8 R they use for the 7v8 video.