GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Well the time has come, i'm finally out of the military.

boostedGTIguy

Dub or Die!
I am like crazy excited but at the same time extremely apprehensive. I know there are a bunch of ex military guys out there, so how did you all cope whenever making the jump back to the "real world" lol

Positive thing is more time for meets and cruises! :w00t:

I've got four years left in and I'll be at 10 but most likely getting out because I'll have my degree. What did you do when you were in?

pitbull592

Go Kart Champion
your'e really going to feel old when the 90's are two decades away... lol

congrats and thanks to the op... don't go LEO, chill out and enjoy the life you served proudly to protect

:wink:

My lil brother just got out, and just got a job working at a nuclear power plant. Paying him 25.00 an hour to start just for security. He checks cars/visitors & walks a patrol with a m4 & a 9. They have great health care & a pension. The va helped him get the job so that could be a option for you?

He looked into le, but there is a huge waiting list in my area, and he's also staying in the reserves so odds are he'll be deployed again. He doesn't know how long he plans to stay, because he wants to get involved with drilling oil/gas. Point is sky's the limit.

boostedGTIguy

Dub or Die!
I was pondering going for work with the federal government in the intel sector, but although the money is nice I am wanting my civilian freedoms back after 7 years with the army. For those of you who were curious I started off as a crewman on one of these..

thats actually footage of my vix in sadr city during our 07-09 deployment courtesy of my TC CPT Mingler.

After 07-09 I reclassed into a comfy intel analyst position =) Enough getting shot at for this guy the first go round ;)

Thanks for the kind words guys, you never really realize how nice civilian life can be until you put on the uniform. I have no regrets at all, just saying it's not for the faint of heart. What was your mos / branch pitbull?

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
I'm currently working on joining big green, considering going career since I'm already 30 and the market on this side blows ass. Thinking of going intel or signal, any advice and word on openings from the inside?

also heard something interesting from a 25 year vet/e7 recruiter. Is it possible to switch MOS after only 1 year in service essentially renegotiating the contract for a total of 5 years?

pitbull592

Go Kart Champion
I was a gunners mate in the navy. I joined at 17 & served five years active 93-98

you must of never seen my navy thread:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107565&highlight=navy+thread

I tried to re-up after the war started, but if you read the thread the navy wouldn't take me back with all my ink. When my brother joined the army, his recruiter thought he could get me a waiver for my ink, but being in my early thirties I didn't feel like going to boot again. I also have 11 years in my current job & am half way to my pension.

I sometimes regret not staying & doing my 20, but then I never would have met my wife & had my son. The va did help me get my house, so it worked out well for me. I'm very familiar with the army. My younger brother was part of a stryker combat team & is currently with the pa nat'l guard.

Best of luck to you & thanks for serving. I'm sure you'll find a job that's right for you. Doing jiu-jitsu I train with alot of le, ex-military & feds. I know there are alot of fed agencies hiring, but I can understand needing a break. One of my best friends was a usmc scout sniper & he's been offered tons of $ from private firms to work for them, and he tells me he has no desire to wear body armor again, so I an understand your rationale. Enjoy your time off & explore al your options:thumbsup: