GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What about titles

andylaiphoto

Go Kart Champion
I have been shopping around as some of you already know by threads that I have posted. I was wondering about different title status. I have found a 2000 Honda S2000 with 50,000 miles for 10 grand. Only thing is the title is rebuilt. What exactly does a rebuilt title mean? Just some cosmetic damage that required replacement parts or could it be something more extensive?

The picture attached is of the damage that was under the driver side door sill. Everything has been repaired on the car looks perfect cosmetically. I have not test driven in the car yet but was wondering if you guys could give me a heads up of what to look for since the title has been rebuilt.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368118078.548305.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368118040.000481.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368118040.000481.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 162

DSF767

Ready to race!
I have been shopping around as some of you already know by threads that I have posted. I was wondering about different title status. I have found a 2000 Honda S2000 with 50,000 miles for 10 grand. Only thing is the title is rebuilt. What exactly does a rebuilt title mean? Just some cosmetic damage that required replacement parts or could it be something more extensive?

The picture attached is of the damage that was under the driver side door sill. Everything has been repaired on the car looks perfect cosmetically. I have not test driven in the car yet but was wondering if you guys could give me a heads up of what to look for since the title has been rebuilt.

View attachment 32262

Means the car was totaled but then someone bought it (eaither from the insurance company or at an auction) and they rebuilt the car to be street legal.

Looking at NADA a clean retail for this car would be ~$12,000

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2000/Honda/S2000-4-Cyl-6-Spd/Roadster-2D/Values

with it having a rebuilt title I would not pay more then 50% of that so ~$6,000 and thats assuming you had a qualified mechanic go over it with a fine tooth comb.

If you PM me the VIN I can run an autocheck for you to try and see what was the cause of the rebuilt title.

Last edited:

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I would seriously consider it for maybe $8k or so if you can figure out exactly what the accident was and get it thoroughly checked over by an awesome mechanic. Could be a great deal. My Civic was a salvaged car, I wrecked it in highschool :( after I had all the body work done it was 10x better than before I wrecked it... but I didn't go halfway on it. Could be a great deal or a horrible nightmare, be careful!

Stag

Banned
In PA, a salvage title means several things. There is current structural damage preventing it being safe to drive, there's water damage, being sold with a blown engine etc. R title literally means "Rebuilt." There was some sort of structural damage and the vehicle is "supposed" to be safe to drive if the work was correctly done.

kec789

Ready to race!
I have dealt with a number of rebuilt/restored cars due to having a handful of friends who liked to buy them, fix them, and then sell them.

IMO a rebuilt/restored titled car will NEVER feel right. Yes, you can buy something for roughly half of what it's worth, but at what cost? I swear you will always be fixing something and many times you can't fix something that's very wrong with the car. A bent frame can lead to near impossible alignments, there can be frequent and difficult to fix electrical issues, body panels not matching up, squeeks, rattles and rolls, etc. you also gotta think about the safety of it. Will the airbags deploy if needed? How safe is the frame now?

You gotta remember, it was badged rebuilt/restored/salvaged because someone deemed it to be not worth fixing. Then down the road you will have a HELLUVA time trying to sell it to someone else.

To be fair I have seen them work out well for people, but it's not very often that it happens like that. Usually when it does work out it's on an older car with not a ton of value to begin with so branding it just makes better sense to the insurance company.

Anyway, proceed with caution when looking at a rebuilt/restored/salvaged title. Also, DSF767 is spot on in his comments on all, especially regarding book values.