GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are my tuning options for IS38 on a 1.8?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
That said ~ TCU tune seems necessary with any power upgrades so that makes the JB4 route substantially less 'low profile'
Running a JB4 on an IS12 or 20....you don't need a TCU tune. Many folks have/do this. You can also run that IS20 with the stock DP and a JB4 for a stealthy "I love my warranty" setup.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
That said ~ TCU tune seems necessary with any power upgrades so that makes the JB4 route substantially less 'low profile'

Huh? Who told you that?

I always thought the DSGs held more power stock than the 6MTs anyway.

What is a DSG lol? I have a 6 speed Auto that I'm trying to grenade and it just wants to keep working, starting to piss me off

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
What is a DSG lol? I have a 6 speed Auto that I'm trying to grenade and it just wants to keep working, starting to piss me off

Ha! Seems like it's only the manuals that start shitting themselves when you add some power. hehe.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
Running a JB4 on an IS12 or 20....you don't need a TCU tune. Many folks have/do this. You can also run that IS20 with the stock DP and a JB4 for a stealthy "I love my warranty" setup.
Yeah I was not aware of this. I know the 20 is technically warranty issue, but they would be digging at that point. I have a downpipe coming in the mail already, it's catted, considered adding that as well and just doing the stock airbox cut deal.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
Huh? Who told you that?

It seems like everyone is TCU tuning above stock levels 🤷🏽‍♂️

tigeo

Autocross Champion
It seems like everyone is TCU tuning above stock levels 🤷🏽‍♂️
So another way to look at this is - Golf R. So a stock Golf R has 100 more hp than the 1.8 wagons and runs on a stock TCU tune. That JB4 isn't going to require it. It's a nice to have at stage 1/2 levels. Once you get over 300hp (to me), then it's time for a number of reasons. Also keep in mind the TCU tune improves the launch RPM and shift points which is the main thing folks are getting out of it.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yeah I was not aware of this. I know the 20 is technically warranty issue, but they would be digging at that point. I have a downpipe coming in the mail already, it's catted, considered adding that as well and just doing the stock airbox cut deal.
If you are adding an aftermarket DP, why are you worried about your warranty w/r to a tune? To me, you either go JB4/stock DP or just say fuck it and do this and accept the v. min. risks invovled in a both a engine warranty claim AND that it will be denied.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
Yeah, maybe on a mk6 you could get away with a downpipe since you gotta be under the car but the mk7 it is right there in your face, and most aftermarket companies blaze their logo right on the top

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yeah, maybe on a mk6 you could get away with a downpipe since you gotta be under the car but the mk7 it is right there in your face, and most aftermarket companies blaze their logo right on the top
Plus without a tune/running a JB4, you will have a downstream O2 sensor CEL so need to run a spacer/de-fouler anyway.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
With the downpipe you mean? Good to know
Yes - that's the whole point of a "stage 2" tune - to kill the CEL you get from running a DP.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
So another way to look at this is - Golf R. So a stock Golf R has 100 more hp than the 1.8 wagons and runs on a stock TCU tune. That JB4 isn't going to require it. It's a nice to have at stage 1/2 levels. Once you get over 300hp (to me), then it's time for a number of reasons. Also keep in mind the TCU tune improves the launch RPM and shift points which is the main thing folks are getting out of it.

Yeah but the R has a different DSG and different programming even stock so I don't think that's a good comparison.

My brother ran just a JB4 on his DSG R and said that the shifts became so terrible he ended up removing the JB4 as he didn't want a TCU tune.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yeah but the R has a different DSG and different programming even stock so I don't think that's a good comparison.

My brother ran just a JB4 on his DSG R and said that the shifts became so terrible he ended up removing the JB4 as he didn't want a TCU tune.
Understood, but the 6-spd DSG on the wagons has been used in higher-power VAG cars in the past - it's a solid transmission and the TCU tune isn't necessary at more mild power increases that stay within that range. Its certainly worth trying without....lots of JB4s on non-tuned DSGs running around here.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
Understood, but the 6-spd DSG on the wagons has been used in higher-power VAG cars in the past - it's a solid transmission and the TCU tune isn't necessary at more mild power increases that stay within that range. Its certainly worth trying without....lots of JB4s on non-tuned DSGs running around here.
Thanks for all this info. Im still bouncing ideas around. My car has 24k on it right now.
Im still working out the weird gas pedal vibration that I have been troubleshooting before I make any changes to the car