GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
reminder to check your catch cans with the temps going below freezing

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
And promote optimal drainage of the lines as needed. My big concern with running a OCC was the lines freezing up

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
And promote optimal drainage of the lines as needed. My big concern with running a OCC was the lines freezing up

The lines freezing isnt really a concern in practical terms because the fluid should never completely fill the interior space and cause a blockage. It is mostly condensation and mist moving through those lines.

The problem is if you let the fluid build up in the can to the point where it can back up into the lines, OR you don't route the lines right, OR you don't mount the can low enough.

If everything is installed correctly, the only thing you really need to be mindful of is the fact that the can will collect twice as much during cold months due to the ease of condensation formation from hot gases passing into a cold, baffled, aluminum cylinder.

I emptied mine today and it was highest level I've ever seen it, nearly half full, so I thought Id just remind everyone to check em regularly if you drive your car in the winter!

torga

Autocross Champion

Thanks bro! I make reminders on my to-do app for everything 'cause I can be scatter-brained. In the summer I have a monthly catch can level check reminder. In the winter, I step it up to weekly.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Pretty sure they salt the shit out the roads where you are so I vote happy.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Pretty sure they salt the shit out the roads where you are so I vote happy.
They do, which is why doing it now vs later this month when the salt actually starts...

It would pretty much be parked between Thanksgiving and st Patty's anyway.

at least i will make use of the cover i bought earlier this year! the car was dirty with road normal fall road grime when i parked it but no new dust will accumulate and get into the engine bay which will be nice come springtime.

Last edited:

Phur

Autocross Champion
The past few years around here, they have transitioned from regular salt to a brine. I don’t know if that is any better or not… a quick search says it’s probably worse. Awesome.

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
The past few years around here, they have transitioned from regular salt to a brine. I don’t know if that is any better or not.
It's definitely better for martinis.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
The past few years around here, they have transitioned from regular salt to a brine. I don’t know if that is any better or not… a quick search says it’s probably worse. Awesome.
Yeah more or less worse.

They tend to brine the roads up here before storms, and then salt and sand as needed during storm and in the cleanup effort.

Phur

Autocross Champion
I usually hand wash mine as soon as it dries up after.