GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
Finally had an opportunity to scan my GTI with Obdeleven. Also checked channel 93 to see if there’s any chain stretch. Can it really be 0 degree? Thought it would be too good/perfect to be true.

Attachments

• 55B57DFE-456F-4FA9-821B-5045EE2326EA.jpeg
    55B57DFE-456F-4FA9-821B-5045EE2326EA.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 67

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Finally had an opportunity to scan my GTI with Obdeleven. Also checked channel 93 to see if there’s any chain stretch. Can it really be 0 degree? Thought it would be too good/perfect to be true.

Zero is definitely possible, but what's your mileage and when was the tensioner last done?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Nice, how was fit and finish?

I had it installed professional since I wanted it welded up so no first hand knowledge, but the guy that did it did not mention having any issues with it and the tips are perfectly spaced in the valance.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion

smanierre

Autocross Champion
The stuff of nightmares...

Do you commute under an ocean of salt water every morning or something?
I definitely did a lot of driving on salty roads. I think I also may have messed up a bit on the install which could have caused the blow out. Not totally sure tho

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I definitely did a lot of driving on salty roads. I think I also may have messed up a bit on the install which could have caused the blow out. Not totally sure tho
Oh did you do something like use an impact to install the top strut nut?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Oh did you do something like use an impact to install the top strut nut?
You only have to do that on the rears. I think when I adjusted them I probably did it wrong which caused extra strain on the internals. I'll get that one repaired and get them re-valved this time. I'm gonna make sure I install and adjust them right next time but if I have issues again i'll just bite the bullet and buy some PSS 10s or something.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Got a lot accomplished the past two days. First I finished pulling the suspension so that's ready to get shipped out when I get around to it.

After I finished that. I got my PM4 all wired up. It's really simple to install, even more so considering I already had a ground right there from the CM5 that I sold. I did fuck up though and crimped the end of the butt connector that didnt have the wire in it so i'll have to get a new one in order for it to be fully installed. It's not hooked up to the pump yet either since i'll be putting a bigger one in, but thats just one connector.

And the biggest thing I accomplished is pulling my trans. I decided to be an idiot and not remove and of the control arms or lower the subframe. I basically rotated the whole thing 180 degrees around the flywheel so that way I could get the passenger side axle flange past the fly wheel. Some fluid leaked out of it when it was upside down so i'll probably have to top it off before installing it back in. Gonna get it all cleaned up and then put it on a bench to sit for a while and move onto pulling the engine. Anyone got good suggestions for getting oil off aluminum and cleaning it up nice? Also I dont have a crane so pulling the motor will be interesting. Gonna try and lower it onto a stack of wood on my creeper using the support bar and then roll it over to the engine stand from there. That or i'll drain the oil out and use the pan to absorb the impact since i'm replacing it anyways

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Got a lot accomplished the past two days. First I finished pulling the suspension so that's ready to get shipped out when I get around to it.

After I finished that. I got my PM4 all wired up. It's really simple to install, even more so considering I already had a ground right there from the CM5 that I sold. I did fuck up though and crimped the end of the butt connector that didnt have the wire in it so i'll have to get a new one in order for it to be fully installed. It's not hooked up to the pump yet either since i'll be putting a bigger one in, but thats just one connector.

And the biggest thing I accomplished is pulling my trans. I decided to be an idiot and not remove and of the control arms or lower the subframe. I basically rotated the whole thing 180 degrees around the flywheel so that way I could get the passenger side axle flange past the fly wheel. Some fluid leaked out of it when it was upside down so i'll probably have to top it off before installing it back in. Gonna get it all cleaned up and then put it on a bench to sit for a while and move onto pulling the engine. Anyone got good suggestions for getting oil off aluminum and cleaning it up nice? Also I dont have a crane so pulling the motor will be interesting. Gonna try and lower it onto a stack of wood on my creeper using the support bar and then roll it over to the engine stand from there. That or i'll drain the oil out and use the pan to absorb the impact since i'm replacing it anyways
Doesn't help much now that it's done, but you made the job 3x harder than it had to be getting the trans out. Instead of doing what you did, should have lowered the engine hoist on the trans side and moved it down about 3 inches. No need to lower the subframe or remove control arms, and it slides right off with plenty of room.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Doesn't help much now that it's done, but you made the job 3x harder than it had to be getting the trans out. Instead of doing what you did, should have lowered the engine hoist on the trans side and moved it down about 3 inches. No need to lower the subframe or remove control arms, and it slides right off with plenty of room.
Damn, the more you know lol. If I ever have to pull it again i'll go that route, hoping I won't though

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Annnnnnnd its out.

Wasn't too bad getting it out. The worst part was unbolting the downpipe from the test pipe. I also had it half way out when I realized I never unhooked all the connectors from the front of the motor, so those almost all got pulled out. I didn't have an engine hoist either so I took the route of just using the jack to wheel it out while balancing it on there. The jack not wanting to roll combined with the floor being really slippery from all the coolant made it interesting.

Also did a quick look over and one of the exhaust manifold studs is snapped off in the head, so thats gonna be fun to deal with. I'm also assuming it didn't just happen on it's own, so I would guess the turbo came off for something. I'm hoping I can get it out with an extractor, if not then i'm really not sure what the best plan is for that.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
That’s a common exhaust stud to be snapped off. At least you will have the best access to it with the engine out. Welding a nut onto it is probably your best bet or drilling it out completely.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
thats the death stud