In for the part out!!

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
On stock mounts eh?
I looked into bfi since everyone recommends them but they don’t make a transmission mount for the 7 speed. At least it’s not listed on their site.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I looked into bfi since everyone recommends them but they don’t make a transmission mount for the 7 speed. At least it’s not listed on their site.
Pretty certain it's the same mount.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

Pretty certain it's the same mount.
yeah its the same mount... ive got one of their full billets stage 1s sitting in the garage cause i removed it a replace with the oem style with a 60A rubber (urotuning) actually - lol.

My opinion based on running stock, stock style 60A, ecs/ebay 85A, and the bfi full replacement stage 1... unless you break the stock one / are launching the car alot / having wheel hop issues - if you like the sound and comfort characteristics your car has now - stay on the stocks as long as you can.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
How much power does an R need for motor mounts to be necessary? The only time I've ever experienced wheel hop is during the rain and when I'm WOT and driving over a painted line, and even then it only spins for a second as I'm going over the line and then it hooks again.

A dogbone has always been the first thing I've done on these cars. My mk4 GTI had a stage 2 bfi mount and my mk6 had an insert. I waited a year and a half to put an insert in my R and I went with the softest mount I could find, but that was just to limit some of the rocking the engine does and nothing for traction. My mk6 had motor mounts and pilot super sports too, but I definitely won't be doing mounts on the R and I don't feel the need the buy super sports either. I'll need tires in the next 4-5 months I think, but I've been looking at cheaper tires than what I normally buy.

I haven't been in an R with more power than stage 2 so I'm just curious how much power you can put down without mounts and without having traction issues.

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Spent mucho monies on new and used parts

Innovative Corn gauge
FMIC
Ruths
stg1 BFI mounts
New stretch bolt.
LED plate lights

Wife not happy 😃

FC6BD726-F448-4F09-A51F-FD5E65D94FB1.jpeg

RisingFallens

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI!
Been meaning to follow up on this, just been busy.

Did indeed get the decals that @Chet Ubetcha sent me, and it is now gracing my toolbox :)

View attachment 224519

Since he sent me a couple, decided to take advantage of it

View attachment 224520

Not sure how long it'll stay on since decals on my car aren't really my style, but thought it looked good there.
AH YOU DID IT. I asked @Chet Ubetcha if he had seen this yet and said he hadn’t, but this looks good. Maybe I’ll just have to copy you…

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
yeah its the same mount... ive got one of their full billets stage 1s sitting in the garage cause i removed it a replace with the oem style with a 60A rubber (urotuning) actually - lol.

My opinion based on running stock, stock style 60A, ecs/ebay 85A, and the bfi full replacement stage 1... unless you break the stock one / are launching the car alot / having wheel hop issues - if you like the sound and comfort characteristics your car has now - stay on the stocks as long as you can.
Now I see that the product listing says 6 speed but if you go to the product page it lists the 2018+ cars with the 7 speed. While it would have been convenient to have done while the motor was out they don’t look too difficult to install. I’ll likely order them and the trackslag downpipe and do both when I do my dsg and haldex service, which i was planning before the car broke.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Curious how the 7 speed (DQ381 or DQ500?) install went and how you got it working with a 6 speed DQ250 ECU. DQ381s seem to be cheaper and easier to locate than R/S3 DQ250s right now. The gearing in my GSW4Mo DQ250 is trash and I'm looking to upgrade.

yeah the gearing on the GSW4Mo/AT, both DSG and 6MT is just too damn tall.

when the day comes I’ll be throwing a Golf R 6MT in my Alltrack

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Curious how the 7 speed (DQ381 or DQ500?) install went and how you got it working with a 6 speed DQ250 ECU. DQ381s seem to be cheaper and easier to locate than R/S3 DQ250s right now. The gearing in my GSW4Mo DQ250 is trash and I'm looking to upgrade.
My car is a 2018 and came with the dq381 7 speed. I replaced my engine, transmission is original.