GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Installed an ESC hot air intake because woosh sounds. No pics, we all seen them, 8 hours later....

I got hit at a stoplight. 4 way light, mine was red so I was stopped waiting for green. For some reason I had stopped about 10 foot from the line, call it what ever, but it was a good thing I did. Cross traffic had the green light, an f150 was turning left (onto my 2 lane street), ford fusion was coming from the other direction. F150 thought that since he had the green, she had a red and barely slowed down, fusion slammed into the back passenger wheel of f150, ripping it off and sending it 50' down the road. F150 spun and rear bumper landed on the hood and bumper of the drivers side of my car. Everyone was ok first and foremost. The R was leaking alot Of fluid out. Shut the car off and got out to give first aid while wife called 911. Would have been so much worse if I had pulled all the way up. Now the fun part of dealing with everyone's Insurance.
Glad you and wife are OK, sad that people are stupid and can't drive.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Grocery run in the R32 and stopped by Frogs 🐸 coin op for a quick hand wash 🧽💦 it’s way to hot to detail at the house today

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Oem rotors had some pretty heavy grooves worn into them so I decided it was time for some new brakes.
Picked up some pp front calipers with SS lines from another forum member, Zimmerman rotors, and EBC reds so nothing too crazy.
I am aware the drilled rotors are overkill, will be louder, more brake dust, etc.
I got the rotors 100% for looks lol.

Pretty happy with them so far. Definitely bites a bit harder than the base calipers.

View attachment 259933

View attachment 259934
It does look good. How was the install/swap for the PP parts?

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
It does look good. How was the install/swap for the PP parts?
It was really easy, just took me and my BIL forever to finish the project because it was 104 degrees.

Basically just remove the old calipers, pads and rotors. Remove the dust shields and replace them with pp dust shields if desired. Bolt on new parts and bleed the brake lines.
Nothing too fancy or complicated.

The rear calipers were a bit of a pain. They are bolted on with a triple square bolt (fronts are hex head) and we were having some clearance issues with the socket I bought. Took us 45 minutes just to figure out a way to get the first bolt off lol

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have zero desire for my car to actually be loud, but I like the sound of (some) loud cars. I'm running the TTRS firmware on my TDI, sound aktor retrofit. It's awesome! And if I don't want to hear it myself I can set it to Comfort mode.
Same here. I wish I could make my fake sound louder in sport.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Picked up a Van Der Veer Haldex Controller off the classifieds here. Pretty cool. Allows you to adjust from 50/50 split to front wheel drive only for burnouts and better fuel economy. Pretty fun. Still messing with it and trying to learn the settings. Anyone have one of these that could offer any tips?

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Spooly Boi Sounds™ for days!

20220904_174911.jpg

Last edited:

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Absolutely! Maybe try and find out what kind of shape it's in before committing, though. If it's super rotted out... Well... How sentimental is it for you? 😆 Restoring cars can really be a deep rabbit hole, but it can be fulfilling too.
He swapped a Chevy small block in it?

My dad bought it around 2000 from a Marine who built it as a show car. SBC, Ford’s Mustang Laser Red paint code, but the special part of the car that makes me want it back is the wide body kit. According to the guy who built it (and took the car to Japan & Hawaii with him) it’s 1 of 13 kits built for the Datsun factory race team (so completely unobtainable). I also remember the car having a three ring binder full of photos from its build & travels.

We had it a few years, and changed a few small things. Switched from six two barrel Webber carbs to a single four barrel Holly to make it more street friendly, smaller exhaust tips and some stainless hardware to clean up the bay further. My dad decided he wanted something different and sold to one of his high school buddies who lived in Florida around 2005.

Once in Florida it wasn’t long till the current owner broke teeth off the flywheel and never fixed it, so it’s been almost 20 years since it’s ran. I asked to buy it back in 2011 when I started my aircraft mechanic career & had the means to do so (thinking he’d sell for the 13k we’d sold it to him for). He said 17k as is so I reluctantly passed and bought a new Mk6 GTI instead.

So like you, I’m worried about the toll sitting so long has played on it (and what the don’t wanna sell number has grown to), but the sedimental value is absolutely there because that’s the car that really started love for road racing / history & curvy back roads.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
It was really easy, just took me and my BIL forever to finish the project because it was 104 degrees.

Basically just remove the old calipers, pads and rotors. Remove the dust shields and replace them with pp dust shields if desired. Bolt on new parts and bleed the brake lines.
Nothing too fancy or complicated.

The rear calipers were a bit of a pain. They are bolted on with a triple square bolt (fronts are hex head) and we were having some clearance issues with the socket I bought. Took us 45 minutes just to figure out a way to get the first bolt off lol
Nice! Oh yes, I'm painfully familiar with the fuckery that is those rear calipers 🤣

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Rears are easy with the right tools. A pain if you don't.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R