GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
After 7 months of owning it and driving it now 3 times to LA… I can say I’ve never been this happy with a vehicle! It’s everything I could want in a daily driver for the way I drive and use the vehicle, it’s dead quiet with road noise, handles great and in very predictable and balanced in regards to over/understeer - weirdly minimal body roll for a 4800lbs vehicle. The way you can control the amount of regen is excellent as having the off pedal instant regen is great for aggressive commute driving (riding peoples asses😂) Esp cause I have regen in a auto mode so it’s amount of regen is depicted by what’s in front of you. Having the highways drive assist is great is stop and go traffic as you just engage it and let the car do its thing lol. The amount of power and instant TQ is just great as there is no build up, and while I get that it’s a common thing for us car folks to say “oh but it’s got no sound or soul,lol” the fact that you can “stealthily” Wide open it is great to me for a daily driver. Pluging it in at home like we all do with our cell phones has become second nature for me and the fact that I’m paying about $5.45 for 200+ miles of range is nice. It’s effortlessly fast as hell and you never get tired of the way it throws you back in the seat😂, but I can say I got used to it now and wouldn’t mind it being like plaid level fast now, but I still can’t bring myself to get a car that’s just so damn common.
Co-sign all of this about a moderately fast EV, especially with the ability to charge at home... and ours is not nearly as cool or (currently) uncommon as the EV6.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
After 7 months of owning it and driving it now 3 times to LA… I can say I’ve never been this happy with a vehicle! It’s everything I could want in a daily driver for the way I drive and use the vehicle, it’s dead quiet with road noise, handles great and in very predictable and balanced in regards to over/understeer - weirdly minimal body roll for a 4800lbs vehicle. The way you can control the amount of regen is excellent as having the off pedal instant regen is great for aggressive commute driving (riding peoples asses😂) Esp cause I have regen in a auto mode so it’s amount of regen is depicted by what’s in front of you. Having the highways drive assist is great is stop and go traffic as you just engage it and let the car do its thing lol. The amount of power and instant TQ is just great as there is no build up, and while I get that it’s a common thing for us car folks to say “oh but it’s got no sound or soul,lol” the fact that you can “stealthily” Wide open it is great to me for a daily driver. Pluging it in at home like we all do with our cell phones has become second nature for me and the fact that I’m paying about $5.45 for 200+ miles of range is nice. It’s effortlessly fast as hell and you never get tired of the way it throws you back in the seat😂, but I can say I got used to it now and wouldn’t mind it being like plaid level fast now, but I still can’t bring myself to get a car that’s just so damn common.
Thanks for this AJ. I'm looking at a second car and an EV is starting to make more and more sense for a daily driver. Charging, no maintenance.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Thanks for this AJ. I'm looking at a second car and an EV is starting to make more and more sense for a daily driver. Charging, no maintenance.
More routine tire replacements, but this depends heavily on your foot. Most people I know with a model 3, rivian, Mach e, or similar class of vehicle are getting 10-12k miles. Some are more extreme in warmer climates and a heavier foot and get 5-7k.

Just something to be aware of since some tire choices for them are still a bit limited.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
More routine tire replacements, but this depends heavily on your foot. Most people I know with a model 3, rivian, Mach e, or similar class of vehicle are getting 10-12k miles. Some are more extreme in warmer climates and a heavier foot and get 5-7k.

Just something to be aware of since some tire choices for them are still a bit limited.
We're at just over 30k on our Model 3 AWD. First rotation was late, almost 8k. But rotated every 5k since (I think Tesla recommends every 6k). So we're about halfway to the next rotation. I don't see needing to replace at that time but would expect to replace them before or close to the following rotation.

Car has never been in Chill mode but my wife has a light foot (at least when I'm with her, haha). My foot is heavier when driving alone but that's a handful of times per month. Otherwise it's us and the baby so we're light footed. These are whatever the stock tires are, 19" wheel option.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
We're at just over 30k on our Model 3 AWD. First rotation was late, almost 8k. But rotated every 5k since (I think Tesla recommends every 6k). So we're about halfway to the next rotation. I don't see needing to replace at that time but would expect to replace them before or close to the following rotation.

Car has never been in Chill mode but my wife has a light foot (at least when I'm with her, haha). My foot is heavier when driving alone but that's a handful of times per month. Otherwise it's us and the baby so we're light footed. These are whatever the stock tires are, 19" wheel option.
That's shocking. I know 4 model 3 owners and they've all had to replace tires by 15k at latest. The wear rate has taken quite a few people by surprise, but it's a lot of weight and insta torque 🤷‍♂️

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
That's shocking. I know 4 model 3 owners and they've all had to replace tires by 15k at latest. The wear rate has taken quite a few people by surprise, but it's a lot of weight and insta torque 🤷‍♂️
Still makes a difference how you drive it. Even when I drive alone I ease into full [pedal]. I've never tried max acceleration from a stop. The build to max torque, even over a few seconds, doesn't get old. Our first Model 3 (RWD, which was totaled) had just under 20k at the time, regular rotations. It didn't need tires yet. Worth keeping in my mind our other cars are my Mk7 TDI and a 2006 Corolla so it doesn't take much acceleration to impress me :LOL:.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Still makes a difference how you drive it. Even when I drive alone I ease into full [pedal]. I've never tried max acceleration from a stop. The build to max torque, even over a few seconds, doesn't get old. Our first Model 3 (RWD, which was totaled) had just under 20k at the time, regular rotations. It didn't need tires yet. Worth keeping in my mind our other cars are my Mk7 TDI and a 2006 Corolla so it doesn't take much acceleration to impress me :LOL:.
I do max acceleration from a stop about 2/3 times a week at min. 😂. I’ve got about 8k miles on the GT now

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I do max acceleration from a stop about 2/3 times a week at min. 😂. I’ve got about 8k miles on the GT now

C'mon man. Go out one night at like 11pm, and grab us that 60 - 130...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Que that bugs bunny gif - no -

okay-sad.gif

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Those are FWD and turbo activities🤷🏼‍♂️.

At speeds above 70 and with traction the GTI does feel faster… but boy does it just take a long time in comparison to get to 70 😂😂 hell that time frame from touch the gas pedal to making boost at 3600 feels like a lifetime now thanks to this plug in.

This realization of delay is fresh for me to cause I drove it to work today for the first time since my overheating incident 😂

*real time view from my office 😆

IMG_9449.jpeg

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Heard from the shop about my oil leak. Upper oil pan assembly, new oil pan and all associated things that go with all of that, plus a crankshaft seal that they found was leaking back when they did the clutch job. About 4k all together. Since I only have jack stands I could only get under the car a little bit, and in my efforts I cross threaded several of the bolts....

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Those are FWD and turbo activities🤷🏼‍♂️.

At speeds above 70 and with traction the GTI does feel faster… but boy does it just take a long time in comparison to get to 70 😂😂 hell that time frame from touch the gas pedal to making boost at 3600 feels like a lifetime now thanks to this plug in.

This realization of delay is fresh for me to cause I drove it to work today for the first time since my overheating incident 😂

*real time view from my office 😆

View attachment 299687

He man gif

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Conducted science experiments with a FBO F80 M3 Comp, two Aston Martin DBXs (a black one around 11am and a white one around 4pm) and a RAM TRX (was being trailed by the white DBX and I joined in). The experiments yielded positive results.