GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
ZZ came through

20240305_170115_resized.jpg

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Where did you buy it from?
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803864519348.html

I ordered during Chinese New Years so the factory was closed the week of my order but they upgraded me to FedEx shipping for free. Good communication with them, they confirmed what I was looking for, asked me to send a photo of my current wheel so they can be sure it's the right one, and sent me pictures to approve before they shipped it.

Edit: Forgot to mention the trim. I picked up a piano black trim with GTI insert from here
https://www.ebay.com/itm/195752163247

Last edited:

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
View attachment 300460
Bought the SA's, next gotta source oem springs. Also if I DIY can someone share a list of non-replaceable bolts and stuff I can reference?

Shifter kit and lights to follow 😄
I've been referencing https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...k-damper-installation-reference-guide.334926/ for my suspension install. BTW if you're doing 2x4 method, try and get the strut into the knuckle first, then line up the top side. Much easier that way (assuming you're using a spreader).

Also wondering what's got you looking for OEM GTI springs -- I'm in the midst of a suspension install myself, but probably won't be needing my GTI springs again. Not sure when we're going to do the CSB NE meetup again but I could always bring them along for that.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I've been referencing https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...k-damper-installation-reference-guide.334926/ for my suspension install. BTW if you're doing 2x4 method, try and get the strut into the knuckle first, then line up the top side. Much easier that way (assuming you're using a spreader).

Also wondering what's got you looking for OEM GTI springs -- I'm in the midst of a suspension install myself, but probably won't be needing my GTI springs again. Not sure when we're going to do the CSB NE meetup again but I could always bring them along for that.
You're going to need some sort of springs if you plan on putting the car back to stock in the future before a trade up to something else.

I thought about offering up my stock springs too but then I realized I'm going to need them at some point. That's what makes finding the springs so hard, unless you can find someone who only swapped springs and has no intention of going back to stock ever.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
View attachment 300460
Bought the SA's, next gotta source oem springs. Also if I DIY can someone share a list of non-replaceable bolts and stuff I can reference?

Shifter kit and lights to follow 😄

I've done the suspension on my GTI twice. We did @dtfd's suspension and @mwoodski's suspension in my garage. All with the 2x4 method.

To settle things once and for all (at least for myself), I kinda want to do a suspension install the "proper" way so I can say which way is easier.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
@Nineeightyone

I've got eibach lowering springs on the car which I'm told are incompatible with the SA's.
Ah, I see. I know a very mild lowering spring works fine with yellows, but I don't know how anything about the SA. Honestly I'd be surprised if you couldn't find someone to do a straight trade, if you were closer I'd happily give you my OEM springs but I'm still in the process of removing them 😂

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I've done the suspension on my GTI twice. We did @dtfd's suspension and @mwoodski's suspension in my garage. All with the 2x4 method.

To settle things once and for all (at least for myself), I kinda want to do a suspension install the "proper" way so I can say which way is easier.
I did a mk6 Jetta the "proper" way and hated. every. moment. of. it. I should've just bought a 2x4, that job would've gone SO much easier. But I wasn't at home with all my tools, and it was for someone who didn't know me in the slightest, so I was going to try to do it by the book.

It was a massive pain in the ass and I'm a convert to the 2x4 method (even if there's a bit of a minor learning curve there).