GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Whats the drop on those?
1.3” I want to say?
IMG_2433.jpeg

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Where are you guys getting those 891Bs for under $500. I have my 791B (frighteningly updated from 791A) But I still got a TDI. Only issue with intermittent check engine light for glow plug indication. I would spend $500 to throw a 891B in my car and see how it does.

Is that encouraging or discouraging of retrofits? I've lost the ability to tell.

@brentgti I'm not going to be able to help you with that request. But it's not because I can't, it's because I don't want to 😁. I'm soon planning to do the 2q0 camera because I don't like that the 3q0 doesn't officially support Sign recognition in the states. There are ways around the "traffic sign recognition limited" message, but they aren't great. Plus I have the MK8 steering wheel and since it has a travel assist button I need travel assist to work.
... Australia. I am serious; the cluster has been affectionately nicknamed Skippy. Of course, the country of origin means that is a 791B, but I needed a cluster with low mileage and this one was a unicorn with just over 20000 km. Now I just have to hope that I can get it paired with the car (which has the potential to be a massive headache). Needing to finish some other things so the pairing will remain in suspense. I am hopeful that it works out because I really want a digital cluster (not at the price they are charging for new ones) and I want to try some of the custom MHI2 map themes with the navignore patch.

I have read that people find the 2Q0 cameras to be better at detecting lane boundaries because of the wider field of view. However, determining all of the required parts is quite confusing. Ali has some kits but there are components included that I do not understand the purpose for 🙃. The metal 3Q0 to 2Q0 adaptor looks quite nice.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@brentgti If you have the 3Q0 camera all you need is the adapters for the 2Q0. Your existing connector can be re-used, just have to trim one of the plastic guides. A ground wire gets added; there's a ground stud right there above the ceiling light (or you can just splice into the existing ground wire. And some trimming of plastic for the slightly wider FOV.

Camera has component protection now so have to take care of that. Sign Recognition and Recognition of Objects on the Path (pedestrians) are now SWAP codes. There's at least one person that can help with this "unofficially" for a couple hundred Euro. Or some retrofit companies that can do it officially, purchasing the SWAPs, about 1,300 Euro last I inquired.

Calibration can be done on-road so you don't need to buy the board or do any of the VIN or model trickery in ODIS.

https://www.drive2.ru/l/601476567054441419/

9nine9

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GSW IS38
One! Of! Us!

What’s the plan for pairing all the keys/immo/odometer matching? I’ve heard VW has been giving a lot of grief over used clusters these days, curious if you’ll be DIYing it all.
Our local VW dealer head tech has done a few of the swaps- he's saying they send the info to VW Germany for approval and it's a 48 hour process. That's just for the keys/immobilizer. I'm assuming 1-2 hours shop rate but I'll confirm. They can't do anything about the odometer matching as it's a used cluster. Cluster is about 5000km less than my actual so I'm not sure where i'll go with that. I'll do the VCDS stuff myself.
where'd you snag that H&R bar?
Was on FB Marketplace- not really cheap but low mileage/good condition, $200cdn less than new and I wanted an H&R. Currently stock R bar on a GSW. not quite enough when i did a track day

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Our local VW dealer head tech has done a few of the swaps- he's saying they send the info to VW Germany for approval and it's a 48 hour process. That's just for the keys/immobilizer. I'm assuming 1-2 hours shop rate but I'll confirm. They can't do anything about the odometer matching as it's a used cluster. Cluster is about 5000km less than my actual so I'm not sure where i'll go with that. I'll do the VCDS stuff myself.

Was on FB Marketplace- not really cheap but low mileage/good condition, $200cdn less than new and I wanted an H&R. Currently stock R bar on a GSW. not quite enough when i did a track day
If you were in the states I might know a guy that built a little bench harness how-ya-doing that run run the mileage up (and that's up only, of course) on your cluster.
Of course, if you want, I could also just give you the details of *ahem* this guy's setup as it's all information that's out there, and nothing that I (or he) figured out on his my (or his) own.

And since we're friends here... looks like one of these sold in the last 24 hours (and has shipped). I don't know who would buy such a thing.
1712273325585.png

Some links, for whoever the mystery buyer might be...
https://mqb-blog.com/ru/2021/04/10/audi-hud/
https://mqb-blog.com/ru/2021/04/11/audi-hud-wallpapers/

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
If you were in the states I might know a guy that built a little bench harness how-ya-doing that run run the mileage up (and that's up only, of course) on your cluster.
Of course, if you want, I could also just give you the details of *ahem* this guy's setup as it's all information that's out there, and nothing that I (or he) figured out on his my (or his) own.

And since we're friends here... looks like one of these sold in the last 24 hours (and has shipped). I don't know who would buy such a thing.
View attachment 302036

Looked at those links and holy hell that looks like fun.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Looked at those links and holy hell that looks like fun.
I'm thinking the 8V A3 is basically a fancy Golf so this thing should work. Oddly enough the Audi HUD app no longer shows in the play store (on my pixel 7), presumably because it doesn't support the newest round of security permissions.

Fortunately it's not difficult to find old apks. I also threw my pixel 4A on the charger and it does show in the Play Store on that phone. Not sure if it would still show in the app store for iPhone users.

In any case, I've already messed around with APK Tool and have some ideas for custom backgrounds. And the old APK installs and runs just fine on my current Pixel.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I'm thinking the 8V A3 is basically a fancy Golf so this thing should work. Oddly enough the Audi HUD app no longer shows in the play store (on my pixel 7), presumably because it doesn't support the newest round of security permissions.

Fortunately it's not difficult to find old apks. I also threw my pixel 4A on the charger and it does show in the Play Store on that phone. Not sure if it would still show in the app store for iPhone users.

In any case, I've already messed around with APK Tool and have some ideas for custom backgrounds. And the old APK installs and runs just fine on my current Pixel.
iOS app is (at least for now) still up on the App Store 👀

IMG_9446.jpeg

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG

View attachment 302036

Dude. Just run it in reverse. It worked for Ferris.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
iOS app is (at least for now) still up on the App Store 👀
Very nice, unfortunately (not as a general matter, but for anyone wanting custom HUD backgrounds) iOS apps are security signed to death so there's no hacking them. Of course you can also pick up a cheap android phone.

I guess since the app is available you'll be picking up a HUD, assuming mine works in the car :LOL:.

Kart17

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport
Vland MK7.5 Lights came in. We'll see how it goes :)

Attachments

• IMG_0435.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 24

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Dude. Just run it in reverse. It worked for Ferris.
I know someone who got a tow bar and hooked their car up and drove to another state and back to increase mileage so they could submit a claim. Short version of the story, it didn’t go as planned and the insurance company dropped them.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Calibration can be done on-road so you don't need to buy the board or do any of the VIN or model trickery in ODIS.
You've got me looking at sourcing parts 🙃. Since there is on-road calibration, is the donor vehicle much of a concern? Not sure if it would be better to try to get a camera from an Arteon vs an Atlas as an example since parameters won't exist for the Golf.