GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What was your worst road trip ever?

DougDome

Go Kart Champion
Saw this topic on Jalopnik, figured I like you guys more, so let's have at it here.

I'll start:

Worst road trip ever was when I tripped down to Panama City Beach, FL for my spring break trip in college. I brought my girlfriend (at the time) and my best buddy (will always be). I was already aware of the fact that the girlfriend and the best friend didn't really like each other too much, but for some reason I pushed all of those thoughts out of my head, because my dad was letting me take his car (new Acura RL) instead of my shaky late 90's Golf.

It was about a 20 hour trip from NY, and before I even got in the car I knew that I was going to have a bad time. Both girlfriend and best friend approached me separately asking if they could sit shotgun, citing different reasons. Whatever, I told best friend that he could have the front seat, explaining to girlfriend that he was my copilot and we had had thousands of road tripping miles together under our belts. Girlfriend is immediately pissed off, and sulks in the back for a while.

After a couple of hours, girlfriend tries to involve herself in conversation with me, and it devolves into best friend and girlfriend fighting for my attention, because they have zero things in common (negative things, actually, because they had severely opposing views on several subjects). I've always been a big proponent of "bros before hos" and resigned myself to knowing that girlfriend was going to be pissed at me no matter what I did, so I suggested that she take a nap and let the copilot keep my company, and she could have shotgun later.

Nightime rolls around, and girlfriend says that I should let her drive, because I have been driving for too long. As reasonable as that sounds, I would no sooner drive the car off a cliff than let this girl (who grew up in a city and the only car she ever owned was totaled within months) drive my father's car. I compromised and let her have shotgun, where she promptly fell asleep, violating rule #1 of copiloting. It was nightime at this point, maybe 10 hours into the journey and we were going to stop in the next couple of hours to get a hotel. Girlfriend, completely out of nowhere, suddenly shouts "Watch out for that deer!"

I sit bolt upright and brace for impact, because I saw no deer and I thought maybe I dozed off and was about to die. Life flashes before eyes (this kind of actually happens, like I saw my family and stuff, real trippy stuff) and I make peace with the world. Turns out, nope, she was the one dreaming and I was the one perfectly conscious, now sure to be perfectly conscious for the next 32489234 hours due to the OD of adrenaline that continued to pump through my heart for the next several hours. Best friend is similarly terrified, and now is set on hating this girl for the rest of his life.

We end up crashing at a holiday inn somewhere in Georgia, and after eating the free continental breakfast and getting out the door, I begin feeling ill. Like painful, brain-rending headache and terrible nausea. I continue to drive because, hey, I can't let best friend drive because that would lock me into letting girlfriend drive too lest I be branded a sexist pig.

We make it down to spring break, alive (at this point in time I was rather indifferent about this fact). and for the next two days I was terribly ill and bedridden, and the following 4 after that the girlfriend ignored me the whole time, because she was 21 and I was not, so she got to spend her time in the less-shady bars that wouldn't let me in. I spent the time wildly intoxicated with best friend, spending every moment fuming about how much this girl pissed us off.

The ride back. I told her that there was no chance that she would be driving and was forever banished to the back seat. Alternatively, she could take the bus back with her friends, because at this point I really didn't care. She elected to stay in the car, and best friend and I traded off at 8 hour intervals and drove through the night to get out of this god-forsaken car as fast as humanly possible.

The bus that she would have been on had she chose to leave the car caught fire on the way back up and burned almost everyone's belongings. Damnit, I missed my chance.

TL;DR Never let girlfriend and best friend to go on a car trip with you ever ever, because they will probably hate each other.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
any trip with children, mine or others.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
one time i got stuck at the baltimore airport for 8 days waiting for a flight out. it was a military flight and i effed up my signup so i was at the bottom of the list going back to germany. it was the worst week of my life living at the airport for 8 days. friggin miserable X100,000. thats not really a road trip buy thats all i have.

edit: before i arrived in bwi i started in north dakota waiting for a train to go to minneapolis airport. the train delayed 12 hours so that was a long wait for sure just walking around town on a sunday night(the worst travel day ever). i also had to reschedule my flight the next day with little money.
when i eventually got to bwi i had bought a bus ticket to got dover after i failed to get on the first plane. so i rush to a cab to catch a train, then another bus to dover air base. after a miserable day and night there with no luck on flights i cought the bus in the morning to go back to bwi. from there i had to find a bus so i could buy new clothes cuz i had no clean clothes to wear. i looked like a homeless bum. no where to go and little money. i spent a few nights sleeping on the floor of the airport and eating the same shit food everyday waiting for the next dissapointment. atleast the only thing i can gain from this is im better at public transportation now around airports. i didnt like being around downtown bwi, not my style. lots of sketchy people i encountered.

Last edited:

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
I was on the way to new orleans 2 years ago, stopped in ATL to drop the dogs off at boarding and got caught in a flash flood. Anyone who knows ATL knows it is hilly so I was on a road that ran parallel to the hill and ended up in a backed up storm drain hydrolocking my engine.. I run up the street (in the rain) pay a repair shop to lend me two techs to help my push the car to their shop and some time on a lift. I pull all the IC piping and blow hte motor out.. fires right up.. an hour delayed and soaking wet we are on our way.

200 miles or so later we stop to get fuel.. I start the car pull out and BOOOM..

apparently I didn't bend a rod when I hydrolocked it (scat rods.. built motor) but crushed a rod bearing which upon stopping for fuel and cooling, seized.

200 mile tow home (insurance paid for part of it thankfully) and waited close to 2 hours for enterprise to come pick us up so we could rent a car and continue on our way.

I then paid for a rental focus to sit parked all week at our hotel. Instead of paying hte absurd 200 buck out of state rental return fee GFs dad she he would meet us at the enterprise we got it from, which at first seemd nice but speeding to him is 10mph under the limit. so it was 200 miles with my GF sleeping and me looking at the speedo thinking in my head OMG push the damn pedal further!!!

New orleans was not worth that..

StayStetti

Banned
Really haven't had any bad ones. But this one was annoying

The two cars in front were both with us. HWY 37 1 lane. Took over an hour. Asshole was towing a HHR and going 40.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
My sister spilled a carton of milk in the car during a summer road trip in New Hampshire and decided not to tell anyone. The next morning we got in the car and were treated to the smell...

..all the way back to Virginia.

2.0t_convert

Ready to race!
Made the mistake once of trying to get from DC area to CT the day after thanksgiving.

Terrible idea. 6 hour car ride took 12 hours.