GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What wheels are these?

revaudi

Oval Newbie
tstalion79 said:
incorrect. 18" wheels have more mass further from the hub, and 18" tires are substantially heavier than 17" tires.

Again, this depends on the wheel.
Also, I wouldn't call 1lb difference significant between 17" & 18". The stock tires (AS) weigh 25lbs and many 18"s weigh 22-24lbs. There are some 28lb tires but obviously you want to shy away from them.

tstalion79

Autocross Newbie
revaudi said:
Again, this depends on the wheel.
Also, I wouldn't call 1lb difference significant between 17" & 18". The stock tires (AS) weigh 25lbs and many 18"s weigh 22-24lbs. There are some 28lb tires but obviously you want to shy away from them.

Why are we comparing to stock? Why not compare to other wheel options that you could go with? When you can get an extremely high quality, relatively low priced 17" wheel that weighs less than 18 pounds (oz super or ultra, forget which), there will be a very big difference. Frankly, the stock wheels (especially the 18's) aren't meant for our car and shouldnt have been made an option.

revaudi

Oval Newbie
Stock is your baseline. Regardless if you think the stock wheels are not appropriate, it is reality and you have to have a baseline to compare to. Also, the majority of people doing wheel changes are doing plus 1 or 2, and the options are very limited for lightweight wheels. Neuspeed RS series wheels are the only wheels I am aware of less than $500/each at 18lbs in plus sizes; the OZ Ultraleggas are 18.6lbs at $300/each. Fliks are lightweight but only come in 35mm offset, though a few have used. Volks doesn't have the proper offset that I have been able to find. Myself, I am leaning towards the Neuspeed RS10s.

If people want to put 28lb wheels on their Mkv, let them. People are willing to sacrifice performance for style.

Update your profile, if you have a GTI, it gives you more credibility with regards to MKVs.

tstalion79

Autocross Newbie
revaudi said:
If people want to put 28lb wheels on their Mkv, let them. People are willing to sacrifice performance for style.

I really hope these cars don't turn into ricers

revaudi

Oval Newbie
Rice doesn't equate to a heavy wheel. What you'd be saying is that a good majority of the European mods we see are rice jobs because they have heavier wheels and many Golfs have smaller displacement/less hp. Nothing wrong with a showy car.

tstalion79

Autocross Newbie
rice=parts that put form over function

revaudi

Oval Newbie
So, a Rieger body kit, smoked sidemarkers, R32 taillights, catback (not turboback) are all rice.
Guess you just called just about everyone's car rice.
I am done here.

tstalion79

Autocross Newbie
revaudi said:
So, a Rieger body kit, smoked sidemarkers, R32 taillights, catback (not turboback) are all rice.
Guess you just called just about everyone's car rice.
I am done here.

Nope- those items don't take away from performance. catbacks are less expensive than turbobacks, so they have a financial advantage.

revaudi

Oval Newbie
tstalion79 said:
Nope- those items don't take away from performance. catbacks are less expensive than turbobacks, so they have a financial advantage.
I am really trying to follow your logic. Catbacks have little performance gains on the 2.0T, turboback with downpipe and 200Cel does. So, other than looks and sound, how is a catback not defined as rice with your definition? You are spending money on replacement parts that all about form, unless you classify cabin drone as function or maybe the fact that you can use the exhaust tip as a mirror.

To me, your classification of rice is what you think looks good, which is what most people think anyhow. But don't be critical of others for wanting a deep dish wheel, just because you don't like it.

roadenemy

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys this is the most rediculous yet long running argument in the VW community. It seems that some folks are so scared of being lumped into the fast and furious crowd that they will refuse to do anything to their car that doesnt make them "faster". There is a clearly defined difference in my mind. I don't take my car to the track nor do I street race nor do I sit around bragging to a bunch of guys at a bar about how fast my car is. I care as much about the appearence of my car as I do how it drives. It's my daily transportation it's how I get from here to there. If i put a set of wheels on it that I like and say it shaves 1/10 of a second off my 0-60 then who the hell cares. I'm not out to out-run or out brag the other guy. I just like things that look good. If you can live with one-piece 17" wheels then fine. If you pull up next to me at a red light I'm not going to race you anyway, i'll just sit there in MY car that I paid for that i enjoy looking at AND driving.