GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's a good spot to vacation in Florida?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
We like Destin. Did saint pete/treasure island last year. More to do what with museums and the Rays if you want a base game. Destin beach is hands down better.

IMO you just can’t beat the gulf coast. The sand and clear warm water make it my favorite within a drivable distance.
after my child goes to college at the end of summer, my wife and I are looking to try Destin out.......maybe get a 4 day vrbo....fly into Jacksonville and drive over.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
after my child goes to college at the end of summer, my wife and I are looking to try Destin out.......maybe get a 4 day vrbo....fly into Jacksonville and drive over.

There are tons of both individual houses and resort style timeshare like rooms available through VBRO and Airbnb. We’re in a 3 bed/2 bath room on a resort through VBRO. It’s really nice.

Note there are public and private beaches at Destin. Make sure you have walkable access, because parking is limited unless you’re there early. Most resort style setups have private access points, and will include chairs and umbrellas.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Just don't go further south than like sarasota if you're planning on going to the beach. I don't think it's bad down here right now, but the water is definitely nicer if you stay north of the SWFL area. They've recently started releasing more water from the okeechobee lake, like they do every summer, and that shit is disgusting.

There's some freshwater springs in the state that are actually pretty cool too, at least from what I've seen in pics. Then again...I'm not sure of the alligator situation in those places. Any freshwater body of water, pond, lake, river, whatever, you can almost guarantee there's an alligator in it somewhere.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Just don't go further south than like sarasota if you're planning on going to the beach. I don't think it's bad down here right now, but the water is definitely nicer if you stay north of the SWFL area. They've recently started releasing more water from the okeechobee lake, like they do every summer, and that shit is disgusting.
hasn't there been red algae on the eastern seaboard in FL too?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
hasn't there been red algae on the eastern seaboard in FL too?
I'm sure there has been. I don't follow that side of the state as closely. They release that nasty water to both sides of the state and it affects anyone near the exits of the rivers.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
The algae / seaweed isn't that bad. There is some on the beach but you still have beautiful clear blue water.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I was gonna say south seas resort is kinda of a cool place to relax at. Nice pool, nice beach, nice scenery, all of it feels pretty secluded. They're still shut down because of the hurricane though.

cb1111

I was gonna say south seas resort is used to be kinda of a cool place to relax at. Nice pool, nice beach, nice scenery, all of it feels felt pretty secluded. They're still shut down because of the hurricane though.
Fixed it for you

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Clearwater and swim with some manatees. Awesome experience.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Cabo San Lucas, Playa Del Carmen, and Isla Mujeres are great alternative beach destinations. Fairly easy to get to as well.