GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's a logical amount of money to spend modding?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Sorry, but your post title is contradictory.

A few pointers as to why:-

1. This is the internet, ask 1 question, get thousands of different & contradictory views & end up more confused than when you started.

2. This is the human race, people are, will, & in some cases, need, to be different. Therefore spending £15,000 on making your car look "cool" to you, only for others to say it looks like you ram raided a branch of Halfrauds in reverse gear, is all part of the normal "human condition".

:cool:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
That's a contradictory statement. I don't want basic transportation therefore when I spend money on my car it's not a waste of money.

The logical function of a car is to get from point A to point B. Spending more than that isn't logical.

Humans aren't logical, that's why cars beyond basic transportation are available. It's even more illogical to modify your car beyond stock, because it reduces reliability.

But we aren't Vulcans, so it's a pointless question. I mod because I want to and I spend a reasonable amount of money doing so, and that reasonable amount is determined by my wife. Lol.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
But for me, i feel like you only live once, and if you can afford it then go for it. I'm not one of those people who want to die with millions of dollars in my bank account.

I have a somewhat unique situation, where I’ve worked for the same company since I was 17 (I’ll be 27 in 5 weeks), and will work there till I’m 55. This company is a private Fortune 500 that offers private employee stock, which has grown on average 20% year over year since the stock program’s inception in 1970something. I don’t even “buy” my stock either, it’s apart of my compensation.

Without even having a 401K/Roth IRA or any personal investments (of which I have all 3), I will have more in stocks when I retire than most do in the entirety of their investment portfolios, which makes justifying spending money I don’t really have at my age pretty easy to swallow lol.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I have a somewhat unique situation, where I’ve worked for the same company since I was 17 (I’ll be 27 in 5 weeks), and will work there till I’m 55. This company is a private Fortune 500 that offers private employee stock, which has grown on average 20% year over year since the stock program’s inception in 1970something. I don’t even “buy” my stock either, it’s apart of my compensation.

Without even having a 401K/Roth IRA or any personal investments (of which I have all 3), I will have more in stocks when I retire than most do in the entirety of their investment portfolios, which makes justifying spending money I don’t really have at my age pretty easy to swallow lol.
yall hiring? lol

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
This is quite the rabbit hole question. I am a cheap ass. I only buy parts on clearance or used. My train of thought is that if I am really struggling for cash, I can always remove the parts I've purchased and resell them to for what I bought them for to close to. This saved me a couple of times in my early 20s. I'm far more finanancially stable these days, but I continue to mod this way. I bought my car in November of 2019 and I have spent about $3000 on it? Tint(coupon)(obviously cant be resold), JB4(used), wheels(used), springs(used), exhaust(used), tires(coupon and mail in rebate), brakes(clearance), sway bars(clearance), intake(used). Then there are various mods that cost me under $50 that I just consider a loss and usually purchase with coupon codes. (paddles, badgeskins, deautoled, dogbone insert, endlinks, etc). I like to tell myself that my car is "done," since I am trying to keep my warranty, but we all know how that goes.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
This is quite the rabbit hole question. I am a cheap ass. I only buy parts on clearance or used. My train of thought is that if I am really struggling for cash, I can always remove the parts I've purchased and resell them to for what I bought them for to close to. This saved me a couple of times in my early 20s. I'm far more finanancially stable these days, but I continue to mod this way. I bought my car in November of 2019 and I have spent about $3000 on it? Tint(coupon)(obviously cant be resold), JB4(used), wheels(used), springs(used), exhaust(used), tires(coupon and mail in rebate), brakes(clearance), sway bars(clearance), intake(used). Then there are various mods that cost me under $50 that I just consider a loss and usually purchase with coupon codes. (paddles, badgeskins, deautoled, dogbone insert, endlinks, etc). I like to tell myself that my car is "done," since I am trying to keep my warranty, but we all know how that goes.
While I have the ability now to do this stuff without much drama, I always buy this crap on sale etc. I also keep all my gift cards, rebate money, blah blah blah and use it when I can for mods/parts. It makes me feel better and I've probably save a grand all-in doing this.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
My only advice (apart from what has already been said) is to wait till you have had the car for a while so you're sure you want to sink money into it, and do your mods slowly so you can enjoy each new modification, and it keeps the car fresh for you.

Also, never ever think a bunch of mods will make a car you don't really like turn into a car you really do like. I did that with my last car - dumped a lot of money into it trying to see if I'd like it, ended up still not liking it and ended up dumping it anyways (and lost a lot of money on the mods). I have a lot of plans for my current Golf, but don't want to get carried away yet, so all I've done are HID headlights (honestly the stock halogens are pretty bad anyways), springs and wheels/tires for the most part. I'd love a bigger turbo/coilovers/brakes but am not sure how much I like the MK7 platform and don't want to sink a couple grand into it to find out that I would've rather had something else.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
lol just my brakes,wheels and suspension Im pushing $12k
I'm $13K all-in for brakes, wheels, tunes, turbo, IC, DP....the list is 2 pages long. What kind of stuff are you buying? ahhahaa

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The logical function of a car is to get from point A to point B. Spending more than that isn't logical.

Humans aren't logical, that's why cars beyond basic transportation are available. It's even more illogical to modify your car beyond stock, because it reduces reliability.

But we aren't Vulcans, so it's a pointless question. I mod because I want to and I spend a reasonable amount of money doing so, and that reasonable amount is determined by my wife. Lol.

The point of the post is what's logical to spend on your car. That will vary with every individual and their budget and desires. There is no amount of money to spend on your car that would be logically the same to every person. Sure the point of owning a car is to get from point A to point B but I want to get from point A to point B as fast as I can. And what's logical to me to spend is determined by my budget versus how fast I want to get from point A to point B.

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
I'm $13K all-in for brakes, wheels, tunes, turbo, IC, DP....the list is 2 pages long. What kind of stuff are you buying? ahhahaa
94473680_10158394235343035_5886557252478828544_o.jpg
94473680_10158394235343035_5886557252478828544_o.jpg
6074A98B-B0D5-4D94-96A1-EEACA4A9E30D.jpeg
E8FCEB09-7282-4082-8AA2-423CA3091E63.jpeg
62B66C4D-9428-479C-A601-2CC2D06385BF.jpeg