GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which cellphone sucks less?

edrex

Ready to race!
Have you cleaned the lint out of the port? Toothpicks are great for this.

Beat me to it. My phone was barely able to charge. Turned out it was just lint in the port.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Beat me to it. My phone was barely able to charge. Turned out it was just lint in the port.

Happens to mine every once in awhile, it's amazing how much gets packed in there. The fast charger that came with my phone just died though.

I would vote option C, only with a Pixel 2 (or XL) if Verizon carries them.

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Either A or C

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
You could get an older Android for cheap, root it and install a custom rom that gets rid of the bloatware and have a fast reliable phone.

I have a Galaxy S9 as I am an Android fan, but the bloatware from Samsung does suck and until warranty is out I can't do much.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Whatever you do, be cognizant of healthy battery practice and they will last much longer.

Li-ion batteries don't like to sit at 100% or 0%, they are most healthy between 20-80%. What I use on Android is an app called Accu battery that alerts me when my phone reaches 85% charge. I charge it at work and unplug it once the alert goes off. I usually make it to work the next day with 20-30% left and repeat the process. Never charge over night and if you plan on using Car Play, try to work it out so you are not charging to 100% while doing it.

I used an HTC M8 then an HTC 10 and was sick of the dead battery = dead phone game so I got an LG V20. This is the last model released with a removable battery and lets me carry around a full charge in my pocket (well, an 85% charge if you are a battery nazi like me). So I never have any fear of a drained phone.

The best bang for you buck is going to be a value priced Android device like a Moto X4. They are quick enough for everything but demanding games and when you need to replace it, no big deal, its only like $200.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
You could get an older Android for cheap, root it and install a custom rom that gets rid of the bloatware and have a fast reliable phone.

I have a Galaxy S9 as I am an Android fan, but the bloatware from Samsung does suck and until warranty is out I can't do much.

See idk what bloatware even is lol, I just wanna order car parts and check the forum

Whatever you do, be cognizant of healthy battery practice and they will last much longer.

Li-ion batteries don't like to sit at 100% or 0%, they are most healthy between 20-80%. What I use on Android is an app called Accu battery that alerts me when my phone reaches 85% charge. I charge it at work and unplug it once the alert goes off. I usually make it to work the next day with 20-30% left and repeat the process. Never charge over night and if you plan on using Car Play, try to work it out so you are not charging to 100% while doing it.

I used an HTC M8 then an HTC 10 and was sick of the dead battery = dead phone game so I got an LG V20. This is the last model released with a removable battery and lets me carry around a full charge in my pocket (well, an 85% charge if you are a battery nazi like me). So I never have any fear of a drained phone.

The best bang for you buck is going to be a value priced Android device like a Moto X4. They are quick enough for everything but demanding games and when you need to replace it, no big deal, its only like $200.

I had a good run with this phone (three years maybe?) until recently, but charging while I sleep is really my only option. The rest of the day (or night during my work week) I’m everywhere, but near an outlet. With a new phone I have no problem keeping it above 20% tho

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
if you go C read lots of reviews in order to match priorities. So many android choices.

I have a once-flagship Nexus 6. It's a great all around phone, has a huge and sharp screen but the camera is only fair.

hooville

Go Kart Newbie
I don’t wanna spark a full blown debate here, but I’m really torn on what to do with my current iPhone 6s. The battery life is basically non existent, and updates usually screw it up beyond recognition for as long as a week, and this is what I use for literally everything...I don’t use any other device (iPad, computer, ect) anything so this is my do all.

I’ve been using apple products for about 7-8 years now and like the simplicity, but I’m also a fan of not buying another $700-$1000 phone just to have it be next to useless in two years. So here’s my options unless you guys steer me another way:

A: replace the battery for $80, keep the 6s

B: replace the phone, get a newer Apple product

C: jump ship and get a Samsung & obd11 because it’s not insanely overpriced like VCDS

6s is eligible for $30 battery at Apple Stores until Dec 31 IIRC, should be one near you. Wife & I got new batteries last summer and battery life was like new. Make a full backup before going in: They "vented" the battery in my wife's phone so she got a new one (refurb probably but not a scratch on it) so we had to restore it when we got home. No biggie since we backed up the day before but it would have sucked otherwise. New battery means another year or two to decide.

New iPhone sales are much slower than anticipated, so there are apparently some good deals out there right about now, but i'm not in the market so haven't been paying attention.

Android/OBD11 sounds tempting too! I have VCDS so I have no experience with OBD11, but can you use an old android phone over Wi-Fi with OBD11? I use my iPhone 3 like an iPod in the garage to stream music and I'm assuming a sim-less Android would do the same?

Good luck!

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
I was in the same position a year ago: the battery on my almost 2-year-old 6S didn't last until lunch time because I missed a couple of Apples "slow your phone down to make the battery last longer" updates. After much research and deliberation, I decided to jump ship and get an Android phone, since many of my friends have them and didn't seem to be suffering for it.

I ended up buying an unlocked Galaxy S8 for $400 from Best Buy, after trade-in. Had it for almost a year, when I received an email from Samsung offering double the trade-in value on my existing phone. Normally I'm not one to upgrade every year, but as it happened, they were offering $400 for my S8, and with their discount on a new phone and a $50 gift card I bought using Samsung Pay points, I ended up with a Galaxy S9+ for just under $300. Try finding a deal like that on the latest iPhone.

Switching over was a bit worrisome at first, since I'd had iPhones for 6 years or so, but after a while you'll wonder what you were so concerned about.

Swoope

Ready to race!
I was in the same position a year ago: the battery on my almost 2-year-old 6S didn't last until lunch time because I missed a couple of Apples "slow your phone down to make the battery last longer" updates. After much research and deliberation, I decided to jump ship and get an Android phone, since many of my friends have them and didn't seem to be suffering for it.

I ended up buying an unlocked Galaxy S8 for $400 from Best Buy, after trade-in. Had it for almost a year, when I received an email from Samsung offering double the trade-in value on my existing phone. Normally I'm not one to upgrade every year, but as it happened, they were offering $400 for my S8, and with their discount on a new phone and a $50 gift card I bought using Samsung Pay points, I ended up with a Galaxy S9+ for just under $300. Try finding a deal like that on the latest iPhone.

Switching over was a bit worrisome at first, since I'd had iPhones for 6 years or so, but after a while you'll wonder what you were so concerned about.

i had all that in my cart for a 9note for my s8 i regret not following through..

that was an impressive promotion.

beers