GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

which handles better?? GTI STOCK 17's or 18's

bsosa69

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 GTI
Regardless of what the car is used for everyone wants to know what performs better. Even if you rarely race or drive fast, when you do you don't want anything holding you back. I always would chose performance over looks.

Maseroche

Ready to race!
We also seem to get the Contis here as well. I'd love to have RE-050 on mine. Hate the Contis!

dvdre

Where is pancakes house?
Man, I just got what came with the car. 17" RE050s.

I can only note that my '99 BMW with the sport package came with 16" wheels, which I guess at the time seemed radical. That car handled great, and the ride quality was quite nice.

I do appreciate ride quality. Hey, I gotta drive this car. I assumed the ride quality with a 17" summer tire would be better than the same tire at 18". And probably cost less, too. And maybe last longer.

The 17" Potenza RE050s certainly handle well enough.

Haven't seen any snow though.

LBVdubin

Baggin aint easy
I got 18" Visions and I love them. They handle great, look great, and are easy to clean.

Attachments

• 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 230

Blitzen

Professional .....
The positive attributes:

The 18' look better, ride harder (less sidewall of the tire), have more stability at higher speeds (higher rotating mass)

The 17' ride better, change direction better (even if the weight might be the same in some cases the weight is closer to the rotating axle), accelerate better (in a car with low hp you might notice it), wider range of tire choices

EL PAALO

FWD FTL
A couple folks commented about exotics and high performance cars being equipped with big wheels ........... that's because they have huge brakes and because people expect them to look like track cars ...... race cars in many series have huge wheels because the have huge brakes mandated. They use the the smallest wheel that fits over the brakes.

Assuming you can use the 18" summers in a Kentucky winter, just get the 18's since that's what you like. The 17's and 18's are both heavy for their size. If you want a performance wheel you'll need to get something else anyway and if you get the 18's, you'll have something you like while you save for the aftermarket wheels. If you need winters, might as well get the 17's and then use them as a winter setup and get aftermarket wheels for the warmer months.

funky_chilli

Go Kart Champion
ok so that thread was from like 2 years ago....
nowadays i think ppl would be debating 18's or 19's....
same arguments should apply though